Sign in to follow this  

Del West Beryllium Copper alloy seat

I called Del West and asked about prices on their seats. Only $15 each. Heres the catch. They need to be custom made and the minimum is 8 intakes and 8 exhuasts. They also dont do installation so you would have to find a machine shop to install them. Anyone interested? They also are the ones that make the seats for PC, but PC wants $140 to do each seat!

Whats evryones input on this? RHC? Crower?

Im not having any problems but better safe than sorry.If this is the fix you can count me in for intake and exhaust.

Until it's proven that this is the fix. And until I have a problem. Count me out. I think that some of you guys with the problem should check this out. And see if this is a cure. So far (fingers crossed) I have yet to see a 2005 with problems.

I called Del West and asked about prices on their seats. Only $15 each. Heres the catch. They need to be custom made and the minimum is 8 intakes and 8 exhuasts. They also dont do installation so you would have to find a machine shop to install them. Anyone interested? They also are the ones that make the seats for PC, but PC wants $140 to do each seat!

Whats evryones input on this? RHC? Crower?

My engineering partner runs the beryllium copper seats with Del West valves in his 10,000 rpm Mustang engine. According to his experience, the expensive part is not installing the new seats, it's machining out the old seats.

If enough people are interested (2 or 3 other people), I've contemplated buying a minimum order of both valves and seats myself, then selling them to fellow TT'ers using Ebay "Buy It Now" and Paypal. Talking to Del West, I think I could get the valves for around $110 each at minimum quantity. I'd probably have to charge an additional $15 for two valves and two seats to cover boxing and shipping. If the $15 per seat above is accurate, we'd be looking at around $265 for two intake valves and two intake seats delivered, and you can handle your own machine costs for installation. I suppose a complete exhaust set would be a similar price. Of course, the final cost would depend on what Del West charges, but this should be close.

How many interested parties do we have?

I obviousely am. I think I would do all 4 valve seats and just get my intakes form RHC and leave the exhaust valves stock though. Then still need to figure out a sping kit.

I just ordered the valves from ProCircuit. I was going to try them in a 2005 head with the stock seats. I know it is only a half measure, but I was going to treat it as somewhat of an experiment to see if seats were really necessary. The labor to install the seats is the big cost because of the complexity. I think I would still have ProCircuit do my seats (they have lots of experience since all the Factory Connection bikes have seats done by them), but I would be interested in getting another set of valves direct from DelWest.

Why don't you all just call Steve at Revolution www.revperf.com and get a great deal on what you are discussing above.

I allready called and talked to him, very knowledgable and a good guy. He doesnt use beryllium and i am kinda unsure about throwing ss valves into the bike.... if i did do ss valves i think the only ones i would trust would be from kibblewhite......

As far as I am concerned, Pro Circuit has the most experience with "tougher" DelWest Ti valves and b seats. I don't think a heavier SS valve will work with the radical cam profile needed on the 250.

I allready called and talked to him, very knowledgable and a good guy. He doesnt use beryllium and i am kinda unsure about throwing ss valves into the bike.... if i did do ss valves i think the only ones i would trust would be from kibblewhite......

After the first of the year they will be using a material that has much better heat dissapating qualities. I am going to use the stock valves, PC springs and the new valve seat/guide material.

After the first of the year they will be using a material that has much better heat dissapating qualities. I am going to use the stock valves, PC springs and the new valve seat/guide material.

Are you doing exhaust too?

The seats are very good but not alot of machinist want to finish the seats. The dust or filings are nasty to the lungs.... A serdi or sunnen milling type valve seating machine is better but precautions still need to be taken.

Are you doing exhaust too?

As in valves or seats? I am doing both and Steve is going to flow the '05 R head and possibly do some polishing on the exhaust port.

Now that you found the right supplier all you need is the Serdi to go with it.Its only 30k.Then another 2k in spl. set up fixtures,and someone that can run it.

Or just send me 1k and its handled, new 05' heads with race cam / springs/ porting.