Sign in to follow this  

Coastal Ride this weekend! 12-11-04

Well it's official. Were riding this weekend on the coast of Oregon, more specifically Coos Bay, Oregon. Will probably hit the Winchester trail system. It's been raining hard for several days now and isn't expected to let up until Friday afternoon. So if you live or ride where it is currently snowing and like to ride in the mud, consider yourself invited to come and play. Plan is to hit the trail around 10am on Saturday and ride until it gets dark. Should be a good time. FYI: Large dualsport bikes with big farings are NOT recommended for this trail system. 😢

Post here with questions.

Ace

Should I start dosing up on the pain killers and studding the tires now? I can hardly wait. It's been a long time since I've ridden in any quality mud.

Anybody thinking about it, this area rocks! Great chance to get in some December snow free riding on some sweet coastal single track.

- Ryan

Well it's official. Were riding this weekend on the coast of Oregon, more specifically Coos Bay, Oregon. Will probably hit the Winchester trail system. It's been raining hard for several days now and isn't expected to let up until Friday afternoon. So if you live or ride where it is currently snowing and like to ride in the mud, consider yourself invited to come and play. Plan is to hit the trail around 10am on Saturday and ride until it gets dark. Should be a good time. FYI: Large dualsport bikes with big farings are NOT recommended for this trail system. 😢

Post here with questions.

Ace

Ok,, I might bite.... but you said no dual sports,, So I guess I'm out.. as not worthy 😢

"Ok,, I might bite.... but you said no dual sports,, So I guess I'm out.. as not worthy "

You don't count. I have seen your garage... that aint no dual sport I have ever seen!!!

Read again... "Large dualsport bikes with big farings are NOT recommended"

Ask Drew about KLR-650's and the mud at winchester... not a good combination. We had ton of fun but a couple of guys really destroyed their KLR's.

Ace

My family and I will be down in the Winchester Bay Dunes the week between Christmas and NewYears riding in the sand. I always wondered if there was trails up in the hills around that area. Is the Winchester trial system part of the sand dunes?

No. The winchester trail system is a BLM property that is approximately 17 miles south of Coos Bay at mile marker 252 on HWY 101. Very tight single track with lot's of mud this time of the year.

Give me a call when you get in to town. I'll come out and ride with ya.

Ace

Right on. Tight single track one day...wide open dunes the next! Sounds great. The guys I go with are all a bunch of sand shredders...which is fine, but I like variety on my ridding trips.I'll jot your number down and if we make it I'll look you up!

What time does the sun come up again?

Want to hit that restraunt on the way out of town again for breakfast, that place was pretty good.

Any other takers? I've got room for 1 more coming from Portland.

- Ryan

"Any other takers? I've got room for 1 more coming from Portland."

You might send a note to Koden. He lives up near you and might be interested. 😢

I'm always up for breakfast at the pancake mill!!! Weather is looking really good right now... 😢

Waaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Fellas that beats what I did this weekend. I told the boys in town about your generous offer to take me on a ride and they haven't stopped pestering me since. Any problem with bringing a few more?

Ryan, Eric... I think that was one of the best rides I have ever done at Winchester. All the mud and water made for a really challenging day. The creek crossing and recrossing was great fun. I especially like the major hill climb at the end of the day.... The quote of the day... Ryan: "I'm suckin some wind now!... this is good, that's what I wanted" Ride on!

Eric quote of the day: I said something like There's just a couple of more root sections on this hill... Eric responded: "sure, ok, well it wouldn't be a racinace adventure if there wasn't"

I admire these guys for dragging those big bikes around up there. There was a lot of trees down that we either had to move, ride over, or go around. I'd say we probably crossed 30 trees on the day which amounted to about a tree per mile. We hit the trail at 10am and got back at dark or about 5pm. This was a good ride.

Dingo, just give me a heads up. 3-5 riders is about the max for a good trail ride out there and as long as they are atleast intermediate riders they will have a good time. Anytime though.

Racinace

Ace, thanks for a great day of riding 😢 Still thinking about taking the DRZ in to the gym at work,, and using it as part of my work out program...

"Ok, lets see, three sets of DRZ squats, 2 sets of 4 DRZ presses, 2 sets of 10 DRZ dead lifts.. Ya that should do it..."

Wish I could have gone guys. I have not ridden since july at washougal. Next weekend is suppose to be fairly dry (but this is oregon so it will probably be wet). Anyone up for riding in NW OR on saturday? I need to get together with you all and get the skinny on this years 24hr race.

Sounds like you guys had fun Ace. Scott was riding his dad's XR this weekend, so we opted for a little more friendly terrain. Perfect riding weather Saturday though!

let us know next time you want to ride winchester!

sounds like fun.

come over to eugene to shotgun creek for more mud fun.

i'll nail down a date with some guys who really know the way around there and offer it up here in the next weeks.