Crf 450 A Good Idea????

i was thinking about getting a CRF 450. i am coming off of an XR 250....what do you guys think. i am kinda too tall for the CRF 250 and i dont like all the problems it has...so i am 6' and 150lbs...lol yes im light...only 16 yrs old. Ive heard both sides of it "being TOO MUCH TO HANDLE" and the opposite, i was just wondering what some 450 owners think? thanks

I'm 5'5" 150lbs. I came off an XR 250 as well. I rode my buddy's CRF 450 and I was sold. I ride track and trails, probably 60% trails, and i love the bike. but as far as seat height i think it is actually slightly lower on the 450, that's one reason i got it over the 250R. the 450 is pretty versatile. ?

Hate to drag up old news, but check the guys posts, he claims to be a pro, yet thinks thumpers are too much trouble. Anyone who's ever had a modern power-valved two stroke apart could certainly handle a thumper top-end job. Of course he probably has his mechanic do it, being a pro and all...

Sure the modern 450's are powerful, but I'm going to tell you right now that you can't create a thumper with power as difficult to manage as that of a competitive two stroke. That's because when everything's said and done, it's still a 4-stroke.

Look at a dyno chart for any good 450, you pick the color, and compare it to any good 250 twoster. See what I mean? Two-strokes are a lot better now than they've ever been, but they're still off, then ON all of a sudden, then back off, and if you don't know how to use your transmission like a mad man, you're not going to master the bike.

A CRF or a YZ 450 is above the 25 horsepower level about 3 times as long as any 2-stroke you can name for me, comes on smoother, and hangs in longer. The torque curve is almost literally flat across a 4-5000 rpm range. That makes it easier to ride. Sure they'll pull your arms out straight, but throttle control is a phrase that actually means something on a 4-stroke. You roll the throttle back 20%, you get 20-30% less power. Do that with a 2-stroke that's sideways and it shuts off, snaps back straight and you get to fight off the wobble while trying not to look like a dork as you try to find the foot pegs.

My son was almost 13 when I bought him his YZ250F. A lot of people said it was way too much for him (understand, he was 5'10" and 145), and truthfully, he had not really mastered his CR80, he was just too big for it. Within a month, nobody recognized his riding. He had improved 2 years worth in 30 days. Why? Four strokes are easier to manage.

Forget what they tell you. If you think you're ready for more, go for it. Let everyone else sit home and tell "monster" stories. ?

well thanks for the info grayracer. i dont really know where the whole 2 stroke-4 stroke deal came from. i do not want a 2 stroke and i only have an XR 250 right now (4stroke). but oher than that, i think ill be able to hande a 450. besides, im sure im not gonna stay on my XR forever.

Sure the modern 450's are powerful, but I'm going to tell you right now that you can't create a thumper with power as difficult to manage as that of a competitive two stroke. That's because when everything's said and done, it's still a 4-stroke.

Look at a dyno chart for any good 450, you pick the color, and compare it to any good 250 twoster. See what I mean? Two-strokes are a lot better now than they've ever been, but they're still off, then ON all of a sudden, then back off, and if you don't know how to use your transmission like a mad man, you're not going to master the bike.

A CRF or a YZ 450 is above the 25 horsepower level about 3 times as long as any 2-stroke you can name for me, comes on smoother, and hangs in longer. The torque curve is almost literally flat across a 4-5000 rpm range. That makes it easier to ride. Sure they'll pull your arms out straight, but throttle control is a phrase that actually means something on a 4-stroke. You roll the throttle back 20%, you get 20-30% less power. Do that with a 2-stroke that's sideways and it shuts off, snaps back straight and you get to fight off the wobble while trying not to look like a dork as you try to find the foot pegs.

My son was almost 13 when I bought him his YZ250F. A lot of people said it was way too much for him (understand, he was 5'10" and 145), and truthfully, he had not really mastered his CR80, he was just too big for it. Within a month, nobody recognized his riding. He had improved 2 years worth in 30 days. Why? Four strokes are easier to manage.

Forget what they tell you. If you think you're ready for more, go for it. Let everyone else sit home and tell "monster" stories. ?

That is not true some of you guys should at least be realistic. Yes the 4 strokes have power bands wider than a 2 stroke do you have to shift all the 2 strokes more no. I have to shift a CRF motor way more than my CR 500 motor and that is the reason I have a CR 500 motor in my CRF it. I can take my 500 lean it over in a berm fan the clutch in 4th gear and rocket down the straight at over 60 MPH and I am over 300 pounds. An good open 2 stroke motor will make more HP everywhere it is on the map on a dyno because it makes 50 % more torque than that spunup hampster on a tread wheel! Please keep the facts straight, the new 4 strokes are amazing and more than competitive but when was the last time you heard of a 4400 $ repair bill on a 2 stroke single.

GO with what you want. Its all your choice, and no, you are not too tall for a CRF250. I am 6'5" and ride a 02 CRF450, and its fine for me. My buddy has a CRF250 and loves it, and I have rode it also. Didnt seem very cramped at all.