Sign in to follow this  

Landing Straight

This might be related to whipping the bike in the air. I crashed a few weeks ago on a double. As soon as i was airborne, the back end swung left and I couldnt get it to straighten up and ended up landing sideways 😢 I've heard that landing with the gas on can help, but is there anything else I can do while I'm in the air? Could I prevent it from happening on the takeoff?

when that happens to me, if i cant get it back, I try to land on the front wheel with the front wheel pointed straight. Ths back end seems to follow and correct itself. Definetly a bad feeling when you get out of sorts and the back end wont come back in the air. It only happens to me when there are really bad kickers on the jump faces.

Yup, if it ever happens, land front wheel first in the direction you want, and right before the front wheel lands, land with the gas on. It'll auto correct and you wont fall 😢

To prevent it, try and hit the jump going straight. If you are turning into it, you are more prone to have this happen.

I almost had this happen to me last week.I have a bad habit of approaching jumps to slow and gassing it late which will result in what you are talking about.

Where I do a lot of my riding, there's a small single coming out of a fast sweeper. I do my best to keep the bike as low as possible over it but it always seems to kick my rear end out to the right. The faster I'm going, the worse the kick. It scares the crap out of my even when I know it's coming. If anyone knows how to deal with that, I'd love to find out. I hate having to slow down to avoid it.

Are your rebound and compression clickers both equal on each fork leg? Tyre pressure correct for the track? Wieght on the outside peg?

The key to landing a swapped take-off is anticipating what the bike will do before you leave the ground. If you know which direction the tail will kick, then you can use body english and countersteering to lessen the whip. That, and landing heavy on the front wheel will save you.

Thanks guys. Next time I'll try to land on the front wheel if I can remember to keep my cool. I always hesitate and go into a "panic" when that happens.

Squeeze the bike with your thighs when you take off to keep it from getting squrilly on the face. And getting right on the gas does help alot the seond you land.

yeah if i go sideways in the air i slide up on the gastank and land with the throttle on 😢