Sign in to follow this  

Polini X1, Cobra CM, or KTM Pro JR.?????

My 5 year old son is about to need more suspension than his Suzuki JR50 has to offer, although it's size is still about right (he's not very big). I was contemplating getting him the next step up and looking at things like the Polini X1, the Cobra CM, and the KTM pro JR (the larger ones........X3, King Cobra, Pro SR........would all be TOO tall for him right now). I can't afford a new one, so would probably be looking at used ones in the 2002 and up year models.

SO, does anyone have any recommendations, or pros/cons for one model or another........or things to look for on used ones?? Is there a particular brand, model, year etc. to avoid? I don't have a dealer for any of them locally, so that isn't a factor. Basically, I just want to get him something as reliable as possible, with decent suspension that will be able to take him to the next level without overwhelming him. He's not racing yet...........may never...........he seems more interested in trying to do nac nac's and no-footers than going fast!!

Any advice would be appreciated. I know nothing about these types of 50's!!

My son is 5 and he just outgrew his Honda QR50 ( basically same as the JR50) so I traded it in on a brand new 02 Lem lx-1. This little bike is amazing, it has inverted forks 😢 with great suspension travel. The bike also has alot more power then the QR. It took him only about 20 minutes before he started to relax abit. He's still not as quick on it but once he's totally comfortable on it...... 😢

I thiink it was in Dirtbike Magazine that the the KTM was a piece of S. It's not first hand expierience though. The article should be on their site.

I thiink it was in Dirtbike Magazine that the the KTM was a piece of S. It's not first hand expierience though. The article should be on their site.

I've NEVER heard anyone say that. People complain about the maintenance, but that is inherant with a 50cc 2-stroke race bike. My boy is 5 and has had a pro junior for going on 2 years now. It's been a killer bike. Great suspension, and a fairly good beginner race bike. All three bikes you mentioned are great bikes. I believe the LEM, COBRA, and Polini have more power than the KTM. Usually the KTM is more popular because the KTM dealers are more common. I'm sure you'd love any of the three.

bmac

As bmac said, any 50CC racer is HIGH maintenance. Also, at the level you are looking at it is 90% rider and 10% bike. KTM's have are light and have good ergonomics. They have good bottom and midrange power. Cobras are fast but at the expense of bottom end power and are not as rider friendly as the KTM. Polini and LEM will be harder to get parts for. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the replies:worthy:........this is the kind of stuff I was looking to hear.........keep them coming.......even if you have the same thing to say, it will reinforce what others have said.

Also, if you know specific things to look for/avoid on used ones, let me know that too. I don't reckon I'll be able to test ride them too well being 6'2" and 220# 😢😢

I'm 6'2" and 245 and my boys Pro Junior can scream with me on it..... I only ride it before I'm going to replace the clutch though! 😢

bmac

hey guys...maybe someone can help me....

picked up the Polini X1 real cheap.......How do I get the cover off (drum) that contains the clutch?? i cant prevent the drum from spinnig to unloosen the nut that holds it in place. Much thanks

JOHN