Sign in to follow this  

has anybody else never ridden a 2 stroke dirtbike?

i have never ridden a 2 stroke dirtbike in my entire life. i have ridden quads/3 wheelers but never a bike. anybody else?

Kill yourself now while you have the chance....

I feel SO sorry for you young guys today...you think rap is music, and have never ridden 2-strokes?

God help us.

Just go ride one. Put up a request here for someone to let you ride a 250 or bigger.

Take a change of shorts for a CR or KX 500

2 strokes are a completely different and a cool experience the first time.

riding a 250 2 stroke is fun especialy on tar you can feel the powerban. hit that powerband and vroom. the trick is keeping it there 😢

I owned a Suzuki ds100 in the late 80's. I have not riden any modern 2 strokes.

The power is a different type of power. If you like to ride staying in the gas all the time then a 2 stroke is for you. The draw back is maintance. There is more to maintaining a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke. Rings and reeds are added to the already long list of bike maintance routines. If you like to cruise around the trails then stay with the 4 stroke.

I will not say one is better than the other because each has it's place. A 4 stroke will not do what a 2 stroke can excell at and a 2 stroke will not do what a 4 stroke can excell at. You must choose your ride by the type of riding you will do. This is why alot of riders will own both a 2 and a 4 stroke machine. They just mount the right bike for the days ride.

Ray 94' XR650L

I owned a Suzuki ds100 in the late 80's. I have not riden any modern 2 strokes.

The power is a different type of power. If you like to ride staying in the gas all the time then a 2 stroke is for you. The draw back is maintance. There is more to maintaining a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke. Rings and reeds are added to the already long list of bike maintance routines. If you like to cruise around the trails then stay with the 4 stroke.

I will not say one is better than the other because each has it's place. A 4 stroke will not do what a 2 stroke can excell at and a 2 stroke will not do what a 4 stroke can excell at. You must choose your ride by the type of riding you will do. This is why alot of riders will own both a 2 and a 4 stroke machine. They just mount the right bike for the days ride.

Ray 94' XR650L

WRONG! All modern 4stroke mx bikes are wayy to much maintenance, with the exception of the YZF. It really depends on the rider, if you're fast you will need more maintenance.

Wow! That's amazing. If I could legally ride a 2 stroke on the street I wouldn't own a 4 stroke.

I grew up in the late 60's and 70's and two strokes ruled. I still think they sound better than 4 strokes. On the occasion I get to ride a 2 stroke these days it feels so quick, light and nimble.

i never rode a 2-stroke until 2 years ago, after many years of streetbikes, and a couple years of 4-stroke dirtbikes and dualsport bikes. then i got a 2-stroke and instantly became twice as fast overnight. prob has more to do with the switch from klx300 to ktm300exc (better suspension and ergos for a tall guy) than the number of strokes tho.

mw

Wow! That's amazing. If I could legally ride a 2 stroke on the street I wouldn't own a 4 stroke.

I grew up in the late 60's and 70's and two strokes ruled. I still think they sound better than 4 strokes. On the occasion I get to ride a 2 stroke these days it feels so quick, light and nimble.

Our 97KTM300 exc is a 2 stroke, and street legall 😢 Its Awesome to have the sound of the 2 stroke going down the street 😢 Pissed some neighbors off the first day we got it though, we were test driving it up and down the street 😢😢😢

Being an old fart like some of these other guys I was brought up on 2-smokes. My last ones were a YZ-490 and a Husky XC-500. Not exactly light bikes but they would not hesitate to throw you off and drive into the ground like a tent stake...they were awesome. 😢

4-strokes are WAY more work and $$ to maintain than 2-strokes. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know a whole lot about these 2 types of engines.

I started riding in 1978 and always owned 2-strokes. The first was a 1979 YZ80 and what a rocket for a little kid. Afterwards, I had Honda's, KTM's, Husky's, ATK and an RM250. I sort of ran out of people to ride with and bought an XR400 for yearly trips to Moab with my dad and his buddies since it's a low maintenance ride. About a year later, I met some guys a little younger than me and bought a WR426 which was head and shoulders above the XR. It still felt so damned heavy and my wrecks were far worse than anything I ever remembered on the lighter 2-strokes.

I kept that bike almost 3 years and now I'm back on a 2004 KTM 300 EXC 2-stroke and the bad crashes have disappeared. I no longer feel beat to $hit at the end of the day and overall, I'm enjoying the ride a lot more. Most of my buddies who have never ridden a 2-stroke are now dying to get one. The power is fantastic and with 40 lbs. less weight to haul around, it's just more fun.

This spring, I'll go get a license plate for this KTM and I will be able to ride it on the street. I've also had 2 RZ350's that both had quite a few mods done to them and they are an absolute blast to cruise around on. There is nothing like ripping up the street on a tricked out 2-stroke. I'd let my buddies ride it as well and the sound from blocks away when the thing hits the pipe just puts a smile on your face. If possible, when I need a new bike, I'm keeping this one for good.

How about this, I've never ridden a modern 4-stroke! The only 4-stroke bikes I've ridden were years ago on an early 80's XT350 and mid 80's XR350. My riding group rides either 2-stroke MX bikes or quads.

Ever ridden a 2stroke, ha, 2strokes are the only bikes in our garage except for one thumper which is a hoped up xr50. But I race a GasGas EC200, love it, I will ride 2strokes until the government pulls it from my cold dead hands.

I've owned street legal 2-strokes... gad zooks I'm old. 😢

2-smokes I've owned:

Honda MT250 Enduro (dual-sport)

Yamaha YZ125 (MX)

Yamaha DT175 Enduro (dual-sport, with oil injection.)

Only the YZ125 rode like a real dirt bike 2-stroke.

The dual-sports had a real tame powerband.

A YZ250 is on my shopping list. Light and powerful.

Yamaha DT175 Enduro (dual-sport, with oil injection.)

I had a 1974 with a blue tank and hinged gas cap. 😢

Lol, you still didnt own a REAL 2stroke streetbike. My dad has 2 sitting in our garage, a old 1971 Kawasaki H1500 and a 1976 Kawasaki KH400.

i have never ridden a 2 stroke dirtbike in my entire life. i have ridden quads/3 wheelers but never a bike. anybody else?

I have owned and ridden a lot of two strokes in my life. But the most memorable are the big bores! You've never ridden ANYTHING until you have ridden a big bore 2 stroke! My first ride was in 1989 on a 1981 Honda CR450 2smoker. Man, was that thing FAST!

Then, I got to ride my buddies 1991 Honda CR500. An absolute MONSTER!

And then I got a hold of an old Husky 450 and even though it was ancient, it still ran pretty good.

I just love the deep sound of a big bore 2smoker.

I have pretty much converted to 4 stroke now, though. I have a CRF and I do not see ever going back to 2 smoke, even my weed eater is a 4stroke.

I would like to get my hands on a used CR500, though.

Kill yourself now while you have the chance....

I feel SO sorry for you young guys today...you think rap is music, and have never ridden 2-strokes?

God help us.

Just go ride one. Put up a request here for someone to let you ride a 250 or bigger.

Take a change of shorts for a CR or KX 500

ok i dont listen to that jiggabo crap( rap 😢 ) i hate it.i only listen to country :thumbsup:and the old rock music + some oldies. i have ridding and i own and 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. so its not all of us young guys you say. ( well im not young im 17 but still)