Sign in to follow this  

Keep Excels or let them go?

I've got my 02 CRF fitted up with Excel rims. I have the spokes all happy and tuned with no more problems with them working loose. My question is:

Is it worth swapping them out to put them on my new 05, or should I just let them go and start over with the new spoke and rim drill?

Bearings would be another consideration...

Personally, I'd keep them and throw in a fresh set of bearings.

I laced new excels to my 05,I figured the ones on my 02 had several rough years on them and for a shade over 220 bucks what the heck.

Yeah,

I guess I'll just lace up a new set. It shouldn't take me as long as the last set. I made it look difficult, but got them perfectly true. I like the Excel spokes, too. Nice nipples! 😢 They even come with their own special wrench.

I grease the dimples inside the rims to allow the spokes to turn. I locktite the nipples to keep them from backing out. I zip tie the spokes together where they cross. These things seem to keep the spokes very true and tight. Anybody know of anything wrong with any of these techniques? I got them from different guys, but they all seem to work. I just hate tuning spokes over and over, once the stretch is over, knowing it doesn't have to be like that.

I locktite the nipples to keep them from backing out.

I've never heard of that, but I'm sure not saying it's right or wrong. But you would think after the spokes/nipples SEAT in that you would have to tighten them down a bit(about half a turn each) 😢

About:

zip tie the spokes together where they cross........I've used that for yrs. and people still ask why they are there.

As for keeping or rebuilting some more wheels........nothing wrong with the one you have now? Or you just looking for the bling look(new)? I bet you can sell your's and have almost the cost to rebuilt some New ones. 😢