Sign in to follow this  

Honda Trailbikes 88 with head- timing help please

😢 I just installed a 88 kit with the race head and new ignition module. It wont rev past approx 3000 RPM and it starts backfiring and theres a huge loss of power The cam timing is right on and the carb is at a good setting???? Does anyone know if you need to advance the stock timing or leave it the way it is??? any help appreciated.

Thor

Well, to start off you cant adjust the stock timing as Honda didnt design it to be adjustable. Now to your problem, you say you have the cam timing correct, are you absolutely positive on that. Next, if you are totally sure, start checking for air leaks around the head and especially around where the carb meets the intake or where the intake meets the head. Now also, check the plug to make sure it isnt just jetted insanely rich.

Well, to start off you cant adjust the stock timing as Honda didnt design it to be adjustable. Now to your problem, you say you have the cam timing correct, are you absolutely positive on that. Next, if you are totally sure, start checking for air leaks around the head and especially around where the carb meets the intake or where the intake meets the head. Now also, check the plug to make sure it isnt just jetted insanely rich.

Yes, what he said. I still think it's your cam timing though. If not, try doing everything that jetster said. It would have to be way rich to do that though. Mine did the same thing, but not at 3000. It was more like 7000rpm.

Well, 180 and it wouldnt run at all, he could be a couple teeth off, and that will make them run horribly with practically no power. We did that on my friends 70 by accident when he installed it, it would run but had no power at all.

I figgered it out, the ground wire on the coil wasnt tight. Now the thing runs sweet. I just broke it in and changed the oil, then i smoked a extreme 107. with a 4 speed manual. I was pretty happy about that. the thing just rips now!!!!!

Thanx for the advise guys

thor

it it could be a loose ground wire on the coil.....

i never would of thought of that...maybe if i could hear what the engine is doing but not from what someone is saying.

Keep this in mind for big bikes too, especially if they start running like crap on the low end or are hard to start. My '01 YZ250F was always a first kick starter, but this past summer it was taking 2-4 kicks, and it also had an occassional stumble out of a corner. I found the coil grounding points were corroded. 10 minutes, some Scotchbrite and WD-40 and it was back to one kick bliss.

I would check the ground wires and see if they are loose. That could do it to.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Glad you got it.