Sign in to follow this  

I want to paint my "S" tank black. Any thoughts?

I have the Acerbis plastics and a blue tank. It looks dumb, I want to make it black. I searched on this forum and it looks like painting the plastic tanks is impossible. But my tank is metal.

Has anyone done this? How hard is it to do?

Any idea what kind of paint to use? I was thinking some cheapo rattlecan followed by clearcoat.

Will gas spilled on the tank screw up the paint?

Thanks for any help! 😢

take it to a body shop have them sandblast it and paint it for you.. I can't see it costing too much.. its only a little gas tank.... I bet it could be done for less than $100 bucks....

I have the Acerbis plastics and a blue tank. It looks dumb, I want to make it black. I searched on this forum and it looks like painting the plastic tanks is impossible. But my tank is metal.

Has anyone done this? How hard is it to do?

Any idea what kind of paint to use? I was thinking some cheapo rattlecan followed by clearcoat.

Will gas spilled on the tank screw up the paint?

Thanks for any help! 😢

You should be able to get it done for about $100.00, if you are willing to sniff around and find a paint man with a little shop at home...I'm entertaining thoughts of removing the logos from my bike, and that will require a paint-job on the tank. There are two guys I work with who are pretty good painters...both said that a c-note will more than cover it....

Yeah I could drop a c-note but I really am not all that bothered about it looking professional or factory grade. My plastics are pretty scratched anyway, I just want to have the same colors. That's why I was thinking rattlecanning it, but if that's a bad idea, I could always just sack up and pay the hundo...

If it's not rusted or heavily scratched, you could wet sand it with some 500 grit paper, prime it an shoot it with the color of your choice. Wet sand with 1000 grit paper between coats (maybe 3 total) and it should look awesome.

Heck if it looks like cr@p, you can then take it to a body shop guy and get it right. What are you out.... a couple of cans and some hours ?

😢

Rizzo I had the baddest flame paint job with ghost flames that just showed up when the sun hit the tank in certain ways. I grant you it was on a big inch Hog. It was still superbad though. I can still hear the kid at Vickers taking my cap loose and going to fill my bike for me. He dropped the cap and knocked out a chip about the size of a pissant. Needless to say I was so mad I had steam coming out of my ears. I told the kid who was scared to death no problem but in the future never gas another mans bike for him. I didn't try getting money or retaliating in any way. I just touched it up with some lauquer on a rag then used a very small brush. You couldn't find it to save your soul. Plus I learned not to hurt someone. It was a first for us both, this was a very long time ago. I hope the lesson stays with me. Get a painter 100 bucks is worth the spotless finish. prairiedawg 😢😢😢

You can make a rattle can job look sweet if you do it right.

You gotta use lacquer spray paint. Enamel spray paiint doesn't dry hard enough fast enough to really shine nice in the end.

Start off wet sanding your tank with 320, then 400.

Clean it off real good.

Prime it with a sandable primer, 2 coats.

Wet sand primer, 400 then 600.

Prime again if you sand through the primer anywhere and wet sand it with 600.

Clean it off real good.

Spray 3 or 4 coats of black lacquer. Let it dry overnight.

Wet sand 800.

If you sand through, spray 2 more coats of black, let dry, and wet sand 800.

Spray 4 coats of clear lacquer. Let dry overnight.

Wet sand 1000, then 1200.

Then rub it out with some fine polishing compound.

Wait about a week, then wax it real good.

It'll look sweet.

I was at the Toronto motorcylce show last weekend and there was a blue DRZ that had a black decal/sticker that covered his entire tank. I thought it had been painted until he told me otherwise. I was talking to the guy and he explained that the sticker gave him the black colour he wanted but if he planned to resell, he could just peel it off and it would be stock again. It also helped to protect the factory paint from scratches.

Let me know if you want more info and I'll get the number for the dealership he was working for.

What about spraying rhino-liner?

Doesn't it have sort of a semi-gloss finish?

I would think that stuff would never get scratched or come off.

I have the same blue/black issue as you. I want to paint it black.

Has annyone here ever tried rhino-liner on their motorcycles?

(even streetbikes?)

My DRZ S has a black tank and it looks great with the black plastics ! You could easily spray it yourself, just take your time and make sure everything is clean. If you have access to a compressor(sp) and spraygun the coats should not need any sanding down or rubbing compound.

How about powder coating? I had this done on a bicycle with excellent results. There was a scratch resistant coating. I think it's called Bondite or something like that. A friend did me a favour so it was free. 😢