Sign in to follow this  

1 1/8 bars snap?

I heard someone say (not here, but elsewhere) that fat bars will snap instead of bend. I have only bent the crappy stock steel ones. But have yet to damage aluminum ones. I guess it would make sense for them to snap instead of bend, but is it quite certain that falling on fat bars will make them either do nothing...or just snap?

I've seen them bend, but I suppose they could snap. 7/8 Renthals snap ALL the time.

If you wreck hard enough to break Pro Tapers you probably won't be able to ride for awhile anyway.

supposedly mcgrath crashed once, broke his factory triple clamps, but his twinwalls survived...

I've gone down very hard w/ Fatbars and they only bent once. Other than that one time, they always pulled thru.

have had a set of protapers bend and a set break. I have also had a set of Demarinis twin wall 7/8 both bend and and aset break. its a toss up...Both will happen.

If you wreck hard enough to break Pro Tapers you probably won't be able to ride for awhile anyway.

Nope.

Local pro's Brad Jereminski and Jay Wagner were having the dual of death for first in 250 A class at the '97 Grass Race at Redbud. Brad went down hard and the protapers snapped right at the triple clamp.

He did pick it up and ride it in for 2nd place with the bars in 2 Pieces'. 😢😢😢🤣

I personally went down very hard last year on my Yz450F and bent a set of Renthall TwinWalls I had just put on the night before (Oh jeez, it wasnt that bad, only paid $100 for 'em on Evilbay.) 😢:D🤣😢

supposedly mcgrath crashed once, broke his factory triple clamps, but his twinwalls survived...

Watched that on TV. It was a wierd deal, went down in a corner I believe. It didn't look all that bad but it snapped the top triple in two... 😢

Doug

I've had my Pro-Tapers snap on me and planting me into the ground like a potato!!!

The main cause is from the bar clamps!! It is very important to file or round off the edge of the clamps, if left with sharp edges after time/impacts the bars get a stress crack and breaks off/not bend!! I learned this after being planted into the ground by ANSWERs rep! They did replace them! 😢

I snapped a pair of one week old Tag T2's off about 3 inches from the tripple clamps. The bike flew over a fence (stuck throttle) and landed upside down.