Sign in to follow this  

Places to ride near Augusta GA?

I concur on both Aonia and Durhamtown. Two thumbs up for both!!

Aonia 😢😢 Durhamtown 😢😢

Aonia is a much closer get away in this case - quick escapes ;^) The site doesnt talk or show much about the trails portion - any specifics? One way? Intermediate? Marked?

Durham town seems awesome also. Mapblast says 1.5 hours from Augusta/Evans - is that a bunch of slower one lane roads? A trip that should be an hour but back country roads make it longer?

Thanks!

Todd

try strawberryhillmx.com-i havent been but the track looks pretty good on a video on their site-duramtown is pretty good and aonia pass is pretty close too-i have a farm in aiken sc-so i'll be checking them all out real soon-i have ridden durhamtown-nice mx track lots of trails and pretty cool people to boot-aonia is the closest-intermediate tires work pretty good at durhamtown-mostly red clay-the jumps arent real big but its a pretty fun track-have fun!

yeah durhamtown is kinda out there on some back rds.

Aonia is a much closer get away in this case - quick escapes ;^) The site doesnt talk or show much about the trails portion - any specifics? One way? Intermediate? Marked?

Durham town seems awesome also. Mapblast says 1.5 hours from Augusta/Evans - is that a bunch of slower one lane roads? A trip that should be an hour but back country roads make it longer?

Thanks!

Todd

No, Durhamtown is a family place with stuff for everybody. It is absolutely huge for east cost. It has some hardcore singletrack and a harescrambles race course. You see the factory 18 wheelers there from time to time.

The motocross course is fast and beginner friendly and all the doubles are safe. The longest one is 45'.

There is plenty of air time all over Durhamtown.

Edit: It's easy to get to from US 78 and I-20.

If it's trails you're looking for, you may want to drive the extra 25-30 minutes to Durhamtown. I think Aonia only has one loop, which they've just done maintenance on, but they've got a killer mx track (I'm going there Sat. weather permitting). Durhamtown, on the other hand, is loaded with trails. They say that they've got a total of ninety miles and I don't doubt it. And, like kindstranger said, their mx track is fun but safe...I call it the "old man's" track because someone like me (41, two kids, mortgage, job, etc.) can go out there and have a blast without having to rip off 60-70' gaps. Either way, you can't miss...by the way Aonia is a bit cheaper at $15 per rider as opposed to $25 at Durhamtown, but D'town has more amenities.

I second Durham town if you want to ride trails. I was at Aonia last weekend and my buddy rode the trails and got lost in the woods b/c the trail was not marked well.

Aonia's MX track is great, it was prepped last sunday and was alot of fun. it's wide and fast. There's a good run up to every jump so you have plenty of time to adjust.

Thanks for the reply. Is Aonia a friendly track, ie for beginners? Would love to get some track time but the ones up here are kind of crowded with much better riders.

Aonia is fairly begginer friendly, I've been riding since June and have been to tracks about 10 times. I jumped everything out there Sunday my first time there. None of the jumps are booters, nothings going to make you bottom is you clear it, but some of the double cover a pretty good distance 40'-50'.

Sunday it was fairly crowded, but the track is wide so there are plenty of places to pass. I never worried about getting taken out.

I try to get the jumps dialed in by watching rider jump it. When I spot someone whose jumping it good every time, but not flying around the track so fast that I can't keep up I'll pull behind them and follow them over the jump. So far, It's served me well.

Im fairly new as well, especially to jumping. Made tons of progress in trial skills but havent had much of a chance to jump as the traks are always crowded and seems like true beginners just get int he way. Any day 1 jumping tips 😢

Work on back siding table tops, Alot of new riders, specifically one of my buddies constantly lands at the end of table with his front wheel on the down slope and his rear on the top of the table. You can get away with this on tables, but when you're ready to try doubles you'll end up casing them because you're used to jumping a little short on every jump.

Once you have a specific table top down good stop and pace off the table to measure the distance, then you can find a similar length double and go the same speed at it, but you may want to wait until your're comfortable with all the tables.

One thing that really helps is to give it gas right as you land. It helps in a couple of ways.

-If you get kicked sideways off the jump it will help you straighten up.

-It will keep you from bottoming hard if you come up short or over jump.

-It keeps your speed up for the next jump.

-and you have the added benefit of going around the track faster, so you won't feel "in the way"