Sign in to follow this  

will I die a horrible death?(tire size question)

Ok, I'm doing a budget setup for my bike to go back and forth from school. I have an extra front hub and a 36spoke rim thats 2.15 x 18 which I'm hoping to get mounted to the hub etc.

Anyways, the rear xr400 rim is 2.15x18 also, now will this effect the bikes ability to just basically commute? I just want to mount that rim to my extra hub for the sake of making it easier to swap, and increasing its ability to handle well in the turns a slight bit.

I'm putting a 130/70 tire on the rear of my xr400, I know its a tiny bit too big but will this kill me? Also should I run the rimlock for the street?

As far as the rim lock goes, I've got one for my DRZ on the street. I think with the added traction of asphalt its needed. But it takes a lot of lead to balance it, as balancing is absolutely necessary with a rim lock on the street.

My rear tire was bouncing like a inch of the street before I got it balanced!

You don't need the rimlock for a wheel that will only be used on the street. You should be running much higher air pressure than you would in the dirt, so there's no real risk of the tire moving on the rim.

The 130 rear tire is a bit wide for a 2.15 rim, but shouldn't be unsafe if it clears everything. However, it will likely be a real pain to mount and you'll be pinching the tire together so it won't be the correct profile for best traction.

You don't need the rimlock for a wheel that will only be used on the street. You should be running much higher air pressure than you would in the dirt, so there's no real risk of the tire moving on the rim.

The 130 rear tire is a bit wide for a 2.15 rim, but shouldn't be unsafe if it clears everything. However, it will likely be a real pain to mount and you'll be pinching the tire together so it won't be the correct profile for best traction.

God yeah it was a pain to mount. Thankfully my Dad helped me or I wouldn't have ever put it on. After I put it on, I found out I put a hole in my tube while mounting 😢. I'll just be more careful when I remount the new tube. By the way, whats a normal air pressure for street tires? 30psi or so?