Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for xr50 carb?

First time poster here. I did search around first, but couldn't find a thread that really related. I'm in the market for a larger carb, but I am not sure what size to go with. The bike runs great right now, but I would like more punch coming out of the corners and off the line.

Here is some background on my xr50.

-BBR 82cc BBK w/ stock using BBR cam

-CDI Rev Box

-DR D exhaust

-WB head breather kit

-Uni Pod filter

I've read and been told that I should stick with a smaller size carb, like a 16mm or 17mm since I have a smaller bore kit. How ever I am looking into having my stock head ported, so should I plan ahead and get a larger carb? Maybe an 18mm? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Heres what you need http://www.hondatrailbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=374 and you can port your head to match the intake that comes with it, and your bike will run like a raped ape.

Wow! That's a great price on that carb. So you think a 20mm carb won't be over kill on my 82 kit? I've been told that you can lose bottom end with larger carbs.

If your going to port the head the 20 will be good. But I have a 75 with an 18mm and I am right with the 88's. My friend also has the 75 kit with the 20mm and I crush him as far as bottom end goes. And our top is the same. So just from that, I would say get the 18mm and use the 85 main jet for it.