California Dreaming...

I'm a Texas boy considering a job offer in Irvine California what's the riding situation over there? What's up with the sticker program, would I be able to get my bikes stickered? I've got a '03 CRF450, '02 YZ125, '02 TTR125. Heck, I'm not even sure of the cost of living there. Any Cali riders in here?

I'm a Texas boy considering a job offer in Irvine California what's the riding situation over there? What's up with the sticker program, would I be able to get my bikes stickered? I've got a '03 CRF450, '02 YZ125, '02 TTR125. Heck, I'm not even sure of the cost of living there. Any Cali riders in here?

In Irvine you will be 1 to 1.5 hours away from some of the best desert riding anywhere. You will also be within 1.5 hours of a few tracks. You can ride red stickered bikes from Oct to April give or take a week or two. This is fine because So Cals riding season is the winter. It gets too hot in the summer to put riding in front of the beach or Colorado River for fun, unless you will dual sport some of the local mountains. Irvine is a few miles as the crow flys from Newport Beach. If you want to buy a house figure at least 500K for a 2000 sqft house that is 30 years old and $1,200.00+- per month for a 1 bedroom rental apt.

I'm not as versed on the riding situation, but currently I'm in Chino Hills (north of Irvine 30 miles or so) for a long construction project, and my 1bed/bath apartment is about $1,300 plus utilities. If it wasn't for the job covering my costs, I couldn't justify the cost of living in SoCal.

If it wasn't for working in Irvine, you could get a nice (new or newer) house for about $125-200K in the high desert (Hesperia, Apple Valley) and be riding in your back yard. Many co-workers drive the 1-2hr commute just for COL...and riding. Good luck!

crf4Jeff pretty much coverd it all. what kind of riding do you do you like?

that will play into commutes and riding season. I don't dual sport but I do make 3 to 4 trips every summer to Arrowhead/Big Bear area just to get some seat time. I live near Irvine and close to the beach my girlfriend and I rent a 2 bedroom 2 bath apt for $1,375 a month. Houses, well all I can say about houses is there a ridiculous right now (prices)

I'm not as versed on the riding situation, but currently I'm in Chino Hills (north of Irvine 30 miles or so) for a long construction project, and my 1bed/bath apartment is about $1,300 plus utilities. If it wasn't for the job covering my costs, I couldn't justify the cost of living in SoCal.

If it wasn't for working in Irvine, you could get a nice (new or newer) house for about $125-200K in the high desert (Hesperia, Apple Valley) and be riding in your back yard. Many co-workers drive the 1-2hr commute just for COL...and riding. Good luck!

$1,300 a month in Chino. Sounds like a lot for a 1 bedroom in Chino

In regards to the registration of your bikes, you shouldn't have any problems. We have a 2002 YZ125 also, and it is a "green sticker bike". 2002 and older 2 strokes are now green sticker. If you ride it in tracks only, you don't need any sticker. When I registered my Suzuki, the original owner had bought it in California but never registered it (he lived in Mexico). The DMV check the documents I brought and verified the engine number - I paid a couple of bucks and they gave me my green sticker. No big deal

Your CRF will be red-stickers. Here is a list of limitations on red-stickered bikes (tracks you can ride year round.) http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21928 You'll also need spark arresters and most likely silencers. ?

The MEDIAN price for a house in CA is in the $430k range right now. (That includes all the slummy areas and areas that are far out of any metropolitan area.) Anything close to Irvine will easily be pushing up over $800k range unless you want a small apartment or condo. It's just rediculous.

• Like 1

$1,300 a month in Chino. Sounds like a lot for a 1 bedroom in Chino

Yeah I'm in a 1,100 sq ft 2 bed 1 bath appt in San Clemente w/ a big ocean view for $1,300.00. + it's in a nice neighborhood.

Time for you to start looking for a new place to live!

stay in texas. Those who grew up in california, do not know any different, or will really understand what I am about to say, but los angeles is the armpit of the USA. housing, car insurance, health insurance, health coverage, your kids education, food, registration, taxes, business taxes. ALL are the worst they could be, and going on a slipperyslide one way. . . down. with barbera boxer in control, you will not be able to even ride your bike here within 5 years. Besides, it won't be a competition, since all of the riding areas will most likely be covered with those stupid crappy tract homes. Furthermore, when you do ride, you need to ride at 6am to miss the giant swarm of weekend warriors who all want to be mx champions in one day. This is all provided you somehow miss all the traffic in life, on the way to your ride, or to work, or anywhere. yeah, if you like sitting in your car for endless hours picking you nose, then move on down. don't forget to bring some illegal immigrants with you, we need more here, they are overrunning the hospitals to the point where they littlerally shut down, if they hit you on the freeway, they get off free--you pay the insurance, cause they don't have it--or a lisence, and no cop will ever arrest someone here for being illegal. again, your taxes, which are higher than most of the other states, will pay for it all. forget about street-legalizing you bike. the california government prefers to punish people for driving rather than make it easier, with, say a new road, or disolving the proven-to-be-useless carpool lanes, or even a road repair. If you like it when you drive three miles you find yourself in another town that looks exactly like the one you just left, same stores, same shops, same homeless, same smell, same traffic, the yes...move on in, man, you'll love it here. you will probably make more money than anyone in your family back in texas, but you will not be able to put food on the table, and if you do, you will be overweight from sitting in traffic all day, and not having a safe place to even take a walk or a jog. (there are always the local health club at on $testicle down, and one $finger a month payment for a crowded facility that you have to wait in line just to take a leak). Oh lines, don't get me started on lines, if you like shopping at home depot, or walmart, you won't make through one here without slitting a wrist. that is if you don't slip on the vomit in the aisle and kill you self that way. I am committing career suicide and moving somewhere, anywhere but here,anywhere is better than los angeles county. . . this year. i don't care. you'll see.

I know this because I have lived in other states, places that you don't role your window UP to get fresh air. . .places that don't call a big swath of v-shaped concrete a RIVER!!!??? come-on down, man you'll love it here.

If you like, I'll continue tomorrow.

That is pretty much what I thought but every time I voiced my concerns about California to the recruiter the salary offer goes up! It to the point I was actually starting to think of it. Luckily (it was a really good day!) I got another call and one of my old jobs offered me 1/3 more than I was making to return.

....<snip>...I am committing career suicide and moving somewhere, anywhere but here,anywhere is better than los angeles county. . . this year. i don't care. you'll see.

Cool! ? Can you take some people with you??? Especially the ones that refuse to put on a reasonably quiet pipe. There's a reason that people have been migrating here for 50 years and show no sign of stopping. Sorry for the flame, I couldn't resist. ?

Kalifornia - the land of opportunity - AND Barbara Boxer. What a paradox. It's still got more land to ride than two states like texas put together. If you find nirvana, let us know and we'll all move there and ruin it too. ?

stay in texas. Those who grew up in california, do not know any different, or will really understand what I am about to say, but los angeles is the armpit of the USA. housing, car insurance, health insurance, health coverage, your kids education, food, registration, taxes, business taxes. ALL are the worst they could be, and going on a slipperyslide one way. . . down. with barbera boxer in control, you will not be able to even ride your bike here within 5 years. Besides, it won't be a competition, since all of the riding areas will most likely be covered with those stupid crappy tract homes. Furthermore, when you do ride, you need to ride at 6am to miss the giant swarm of weekend warriors who all want to be mx champions in one day. This is all provided you somehow miss all the traffic in life, on the way to your ride, or to work, or anywhere. yeah, if you like sitting in your car for endless hours picking you nose, then move on down. don't forget to bring some illegal immigrants with you, we need more here, they are overrunning the hospitals to the point where they littlerally shut down, if they hit you on the freeway, they get off free--you pay the insurance, cause they don't have it--or a lisence, and no cop will ever arrest someone here for being illegal. again, your taxes, which are higher than most of the other states, will pay for it all. forget about street-legalizing you bike. the california government prefers to punish people for driving rather than make it easier, with, say a new road, or disolving the proven-to-be-useless carpool lanes, or even a road repair. If you like it when you drive three miles you find yourself in another town that looks exactly like the one you just left, same stores, same shops, same homeless, same smell, same traffic, the yes...move on in, man, you'll love it here. you will probably make more money than anyone in your family back in texas, but you will not be able to put food on the table, and if you do, you will be overweight from sitting in traffic all day, and not having a safe place to even take a walk or a jog. (there are always the local health club at on $testicle down, and one $finger a month payment for a crowded facility that you have to wait in line just to take a leak). Oh lines, don't get me started on lines, if you like shopping at home depot, or walmart, you won't make through one here without slitting a wrist. that is if you don't slip on the vomit in the aisle and kill you self that way. I am committing career suicide and moving somewhere, anywhere but here,anywhere is better than los angeles county. . . this year. i don't care. you'll see.

I know this because I have lived in other states, places that you don't role your window UP to get fresh air. . .places that don't call a big swath of v-shaped concrete a RIVER!!!??? come-on down, man you'll love it here.

Holy crap. I yell almost that exact same speech at my wife every night. ?

The price for Chino Hills is significantly more than Chino. I'm in a very nice and new (I was first tenant) apartment complex that in in the foothills bordering Diamond Bar. The city has the lowest crime rate of the area (and I believe, of the LA area as a whole), and the location makes it easy for me to be just about anywhere within an hour or so. The project (an $8Mil Caltrans project on Route 57,60,71,210,10) I'm running dictates the area. Again, if it wasn't for my job covering my costs, I couldn't justify the expense of the place I'm in, or the area. There are benefits to being on the construction carnival (and it is a carnival).

• 15 years later...
On 12/9/2004 at 6:35 PM, spud400 said:

2004 post of the decade ,  hilarious, I wonder what this guy spud400 is thinking about Covid now and LA , is he singing The Who song Won’t get fooled again ?   Or still in LA ?

Edited by bigbob
  • Like 1