Sign in to follow this  

2005 WR250f on MX track?

Ok, guys here is a question that is not directly answered when I do a search. I did try that.

Will a 2005 WR250F be able to handle recreational jumping on a MX track?

General information:

I do not always clear the big tabletops and sometimes come up short on doubles. I have know intention of racing MX, I just want to go and ride with my friends that ride on the track. I would like to be able to do some jumps, learn to clear a double eventually. We spend most of our time in the woods, but go to a track once a month or so.

I currently ride CRF230F which has been great but bottoms just about all of the time on jumps unless I land perfect on the down hill side, which I do not seem to do very often. I have done most of the inexpensive suspension mods.

I am 37 years old (novice rider)

160 pounds

5'7"

80% trails, 20% track, east coast harescrambles

Thanks

Pac Smith

I ride a 03 WR 250, mostly in the woods but I still hit the MX tracks once in a while. I have to say I learned the hard way the first time at the track though, had the bike set up for woods riding, thinking it would do ok on

jumps, cased it bad. It took a while but once it was dialed in to my liking,

the jumps were no problem.This bike is very forgiving, even in the whoop

sections,if it gets squirly, I just gas it and it blasts thru them.

I have come to this conclusion, this bike was made to go fast, everywhere,

and it does! The one thing that would be different between the WR and the

YZ, is the gear ratio, but that is what the next gear is for! I have my bike set up for low end torque and it lifts everywhere, even in the woods, but

thats the way I ride.It's all about choice, so get the WR, dial it in, and have

fun! You wont be disappointed 😢

I have both bikes and the WR would be okay on an MX track but its slower than a YZ and the suspension is much softer.

But seeing how you came off of a CRF230 you might be happy, the WR is a much better bike.

If you like MX you really need an MX bike.

Will I be able to stiffen up the suspension enough with the clickers to do the above-described MX?

At this point speed is not the issue, I realize that I will have to get a dedicated MX bike if I go beyond recreational track riding. I am just trying to determine if the WR will allow me to do the 80%/20% split relatively safely and without damaging the bike. And have fun.

I disagree with Dr. just a bit. if you are comming off a crf 230 to the WR there will be a huge gain in performance for you on the track as well as the woods. you are going from 9" of travel to about 12" in suspension, as well as 4" more of ground clearance. the WR is about 10lbs lighter (04 crf-04wr) and the crf has 37mm forks to 46mm on the wr. at 160lbs you are the ideal weight for the yamaha from factory, for woods riding. for the track and jumping you have to re-adjust you're suspension settings (compression and rebound) as long as the sag is set correct. Then you would change it back for the woods for best performance.

I am 40 and 200 lbs. and ride 80% and 20% track as well. after setting my sag, and upping comp for the track I don't have a problem bottiming anymore. but I am no means an expert or that fast on the track, heck I'm still waiting to clear my first table top or double. ( I am good at flat landing and casing) but get me in the woods and watch out. till I fall 😢

Now is it a MX bike? NO.

So to agree with Dr. buy the wr for the woods, and the yz for the track

😢

or like me, with too many other hobbies, buy the wr and just have fun, no matter wear you ride it.

You can take the WR on the track and not hurt it (unless you crash) and yes you can adjust the suspension to deal with the track

i bought a 02 wr250 back in march and was just going to ride woods so i figured i needed the light .since then my son started racing and he wanted me to race to so i did .now im hooked,so i have done all the free mods took the lights off put yz exhaust on it,and its a great bike but its not a yz,it will bottom out on big jumps and misses .but it runs very good and i can beat some off the racers in my class.i made a mistake by looking on ebay at 450,s now i own on (see my post on 450 section)had i not ran across this deal i would be changing my wr completly to a yz.i,m 44 yrs old and time is running out for racing so i bit the bullet and bought the yz 450 (i also payed 400.00 les for the 450 than i did the wr250)

I agree with all here as I've got about 5 hrs saddletime on the MX track with an 03 wr250. the bike ripped and was surprisingly competitive. the rear susp was fine but the front bottomed too much. My suggestion for your weight would be to dial the front clickers in to try and stop bottoming. don't go in more than 5 or 6 out. If it's still bottoming at 5 or 6 clicks out you need to back out to 8-10 out and then add fork oil through the bleeder hole with a $.50 cent syringe until bottoming stops. The additional oil should'nt affect the woods too much as just back off on the clickers for the woods. Hopefully this mod won't adversely affect other handling traits.

Make sure your rear sag is correct as that is the starting point for all handling.

I ride the WR450F but it does a good job at the track. The front end pushes more easily than my duaghter's KX125 but hey, it a great bike! The bike is very forgiving on casings and takes jumps nicely. I've only recently started clearing my biggest tabletop at 65' but she handles without bottoming, and I'm 235lbs....

Use it for mx, it'll do it!

Rich

You know, rethinking the riding spread, I'm actually closer to 50/50- maybe that's why I have yearnings to get a YZF to compliment the WR.

Or ma-by you are like me and just want MORE toys 😢😢

I do think we were on the same page as well, so I apologize if I had offended or missunderstood 😢

Thanks eveyone,

All of the responses are excellent, and and not to far off from what I expected.

I definetly agree, I would love to have a pure woods bike and MX bike but like many, I have to go with one or the other.

I will gladly take additional inputs on set-up and considerations.

Pac Smith

If I had to do both on 1 bike I would get the WR, put a 262 big bore kit in it, do the free mods, put a ProMoto baffle in it and go riding.

You'll have loads of fun on it!

I ride woods and race mx on my WR250F stock. Im just as competitive on that as any YZ , cause currently I run second all the time and first is so far in front even if I had a factory steed I wouldnt catch him. My YZ feels better to race but doesnt make me any qucker. It handles all the big jumps when landing on the down ramps, and Im too heavy for my springs. Coming up short you may need to make sure you have the correct sprigs.

Will it handle it? Hell Yes. 😢

Is it the best choice? No. 😢

Is it a great compromise? You bet. 😢

I just would like to add that if you are casing doubles or other jumps, your suspension set-up isn't the real cause.

I have jumped a WR250F over doubles (pretty big ones) and long tables without any problems at all--as long as I landed on the landing. It is a bit less tolerant of big hits like coming up short or over-jumping than the YZ is stock, however, i always have my bikes revalved/resprung and highly reccommend that as a first mod to any bike! 😢

I ride my 2004 WR250 on MX/Supercross tracks all the time without any suspension problems. The stock suspension settings were way too soft, however there is enough adjustment in them to get a good setup, I'm weigh 155. The most important adjustment for me was to up the fork oil level. I used a syringe, so no exact measurement, but I simply added a little at a time until it stopped bottoming harshly. Then the compression needs to be increased on both the forks (5 out from full hard), and the shock (high speed compression 1/2 turn stiffer from stock and low speed compression 4 clicks stiffer than stock). The rebound was also too slow and needed to be speeded up on both ends. With these small changes the bike works great. Until a few years ago I was an expert level MX racer, so I give the bike a hard workout (some serious air) ..... no complaints. I bought the WR as a compromise after owning 15+ race bikes and I have been pleasantly surprised at how good it is on the track..it's also street legal 😢 P.S. YZ exhaust was a must for the track on 2004WR.

That was exactly the information I was looking for. Everybody has been a great help.

Pac Smith

I have the oposite of you guys; I use a YZ to ride offeroad. I raced both enduros and harescrambles this year and did ok. I adjusted the compression on the forks all the way out and I'm about 15 clicks out on the rear. I ride at Tower City alot (lots of rocks) and the bike works pretty good. I know that to get it the suspension to work really good, I need to send it to a suspension shop.

I own both the CRF230F and the WR250F. I rode the 230 all summer this year and just purchased the WR a week ago. First impressions are that I am going to absolutely LOVE the WR!! So far I've had the throttle stop filed down and removed the "buttplug" (but not the grey wire yet) and the thing SCREAMS compared to the 230 !! The suspension (although softer than an MX bike) is still much more rigid than my 230, and I'm sure you'll like your landings better on it than your 230. The 230, after all is a play bike, and a very good one at that. But it's not made for jumping. Sounds like since you said you mostly ride woods with some track riding, that the WR may be more to your liking than a YZ. It just depends on how much track riding you do and how serious you are about it.

hay "too many crashes" when you say the rebound was to slow, did you turn the clickers in or out. i'm 53 168lbs and ride a 03 xr250 this last year. i'm currently selling to buy a wr250f. i go to a local track here in florida and trail ride. you can imagine the xr on a track. i want the wr so i can do both,never rode one, but am interested about adjusting the suspension for the track. hope my bike sells, i got the fever.

The owners manual is very helpful but you start with the adjuster all the way in (gently) and count the clicks out. The more clicks out the less rsesistance is felt.

thanks for the reply. my question is did he soften or harden the rebound. he tightened up the compression for the track, which i do, but it sounds like he softened the rebound.