KLX125 Rear Shock Adjustment

Hey everyone. I bought my 11yr. old son a 2005 KLX 125L for Christmas.

The bike is a tad tall for him & I was looking to adjust the Pre-Load on the rear shock. Will the height of the bike lower if I lower the Pre-Load?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm not looking to get an after market rear shock just yet

Thanks

Jack ?

I bought one for my son too (drz125l). Yesterday I reduced the spring preload and it allowed the bike to settle when you sit on it, thus lowering it. I have'nt recieved my manual yet so I do not know what the sag is supposed to be set at (I guessed). Like long travel suspension, I imagine it does need some sag. I also lowered the forks a little in the tripple clamp. Both of these combined lowered the bike at least an inch. I'll have to watch the front fender to make sure the tire does not rub. The lock nuts on the spring are a %#$@ to get loose.

Anyone know the factory suggested sag?

Okay guys. There is and adjustment on the shock that will lowerer the bike about an inch on the rear with no one sitting on it. Now for this you have to take the whole shock off. Once you have it off completely remove the spring off the shock. Now the lower mounting bracket on the shock has a nut that keeps it tight where it is set. loosen the nut off the bracket. I would suggest to take the nut off completely if you want a big height change. now just tighten the bracket to the shaft. and put a nut on the bottom of the bracket to hold it in place. Now just put the spring back on and tighten it to your preferred preload. Now the bike will be maybe and inch lower in the rear. If you want to have a shock with dampening. You should go with a newer CR85/80 shock.

My son's has a heavy spring so the number of turns out won't be the same as stock. Also the shock will probably need readjusting after it has had some break in time. I would just loosen it until it sags a bit with your son's weight on it. That way it's shorter while he's learning, then readjust after a break-in period. I think height is the biggest threat to confidence on a bike. I think its odd that big bikes are so tall, when the fastest riders are lowering them substantially. I was at Glen Helen this year and after the podium ceremony RC and Reed both walked right in front of me with their mechanics pushing their bikes. RC's bike looked like a mini, man it was really short. Reed's bike also looked much lower than stock.

Anyway, I have a couple of purpose built tools for loosening shock lock nuts and neither works at all if the nuts are tight. I always seem to resort to a hammer and big, long screw driver. The metal working vise grips sound like a good idea. The idea of adjusting the shock mount sounds interesting.

I still don't have my manual, What does your manual say about sag?

One more note. Another easy way to lower it is to shave the seat foam (ala RC, Reed etc.). I did it to my Cannondale and it worked great. Just take your seat to an upholstery shop and they can shave the foam down a little and then reinstall the seat cover.