Sign in to follow this  

Hypertech and Chevy Silverados-Results?

I am wanting to know if any of you have installed the Hypertech PowerProgrammer on a 2003 (or 1999-current) Silervado? If you have, did you notice much of a power increase? Did it help or hurt the fuel economy? What did it do to the transmission? Did it shift much harder or better?

I ask because I do not want to shell out $300 for a new one unless I know that they work!

By the way. I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 gas motor.

Any input here would be great! 😢

My next door neighbor plugged one of these into his 03 Silverado SS. It killed it dead as a hammer.

Fortunately it was still under warrenty. He had it towed in and they had to replace the computer. Needless to say he didn't mention the programmer to them.

Hemi/Magnum would you like to meet my Whipple?😢

I have the same truck 03 with the 6.0L and had the hypertech before I installed the Whipple Supercharger. The Hypertech works but still doesn't get rid of the Torque Management, huge subject if you want more info PM me. In my experience the best thing for the money is to get a Wester tuned ECM. It will be night and day difference from what you have now, better power, better shifts, and even better mpg. Here's a link to Westers:

Westers

There is also another company called Nelson's that is doing custom tuning. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I just went through all kinds of fun learning on GM ECM tuning.

Chris

I have the Diablo Predator handheld for my 03 5.3 and I love it. But the programs done by Westers and Nelsons are better hands down. But thats not to say that each does not have and advantage over the other. With my handheld I can change shift points, shift pressures and shift speeds. Then I can change when and what speed it shifts at. The PCM programs are what you buy is what you get. The only way to change it is to send it back to the programer at a fee for them to change it for you.

Go to www.mychevytruck.com and enjoy all the posts or try www.ls1tech.com either way there are many, many posts on these things.

1 thing not to do is remove ALL of the torque managment becuase youre tranny will not take the abuse. The TQM is there for a reason, tranny life.

Also I have been messing with these motors "LS1" for a while and I have never ever heard of a Hypertech hurting and truck or cars computer.

My buddy installed one on his 01 5.3 and it wouldn't start. Sent programer back to hypertech and they "fixed" it. It made a noticible difference, but pings in the summer because he won't run premium with the hp mods installed. I have the programmer on my 97 susurban and it works great, except I had to do some math to program the right gear/tire ratio. It only went as high as 34" tires, and I have 37s with 4.56:1 gears.

The only real problem with handheld units and PCM programs is the fact that you have to run 91, 93 or 94 octaine depending on the tune. This is how they make the power. They advance the timing. I would advise your friend that it is in his best intrest to run better gas, if he wants the motor to last that is.

I have a programmer on my silverado diesel,so my numbers are gonna be a bit more extreme, around 410 HP and 740 ftlbs of torque. It will roast the tires from a 40mph roll when it comes into boost 😢

I Work At A Gm Dealer And Have Seen Many Of Them End Up Frying The Pcm. I Had One Guy Do It 5 Days In A Row. I Knew What Was Up From The Getgo And Finally Told Him He Was S.o.l.. If You Do It, Don't Let Your Dealer Know. And Whatever You Do, Don't Get That P.o.s. Granetelli Maf Sensor. They Are Junk And Don't Really Make A Difference. The Biggest Difference You Will Probably Notice Will Be To Install The Higher Ratio Roller Rocker Arms Made By Comp Cams.

Hemi/Magnum would you like to meet my Whipple?😢

I have the same truck 03 with the 6.0L and had the hypertech before I installed the Whipple Supercharger. The Hypertech works but still doesn't get rid of the Torque Management, huge subject if you want more info PM me. In my experience the best thing for the money is to get a Wester tuned ECM. It will be night and day difference from what you have now, better power, better shifts, and even better mpg. Here's a link to Westers:

Westers

There is also another company called Nelson's that is doing custom tuning. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I just went through all kinds of fun learning on GM ECM tuning.

Chris

Yeh, I know about the torque management. In fact, the press is kind of dogging the new 2005 Mustang because Ford added torque management so that you cannot do the huge, smoky burnouts that Mustangs are so well known for 😢

So far, there is only one company that has been able to defeat Mustangs torque management with a handheld, but then again the car is brand new. I cannot remember which company it was, but I think it is mentioned in this months issue of Hot Rod. But since the car is so new, it will not take time for everyone to figure it out.

In fact, that is the one thing that I am disappointed about with my truck. I know that the 6.0 and 4.10 gears are more than enough to spin the wheels from a dead stop, but you can feel the computer kicking in and backing it off when you punch it 😢 Does anyone know how long GM has been running torque management on their trucks?

What kind of mileage are you getting now with your Whipple? Did it make the mileage better or worse when you are towing? Are you happy with it overall?

I would love to add a Magnuson charger to mine, but I have to get my beloved 64 Chevelle SS done first. 😢

Crazy,

Sorry for the late reply, but I was recovering from my BAker to Havasu ride this past weekend.😢 It's interesting you mentioned the new Mustang because I was a WHipple's shop just before SEMA and they had all the Ford bigwigs there looking at the new Mustang kit Whipple had installed for them and they were discussing TM. I doubt it's out yet because they want to test it more but Whipple had it prettty much gone on the Mustang but didn't want to tell the Ford guys how. As far as my truck, I love the s/c, the truck runs like it's electric just give it gas and it goes no matter what speed no matter what gear. It climbs all the big mountain passes with out ever shifting out of overdrive. It also tows my 13,000lb toy hauler with no problems. Milage has definately gone up towing. I get about 13 mpg average around town empty, if I drive normal and stay out of the gas and don't race the annoying rice burners, and about 10mpg towing fast. Before I was barely getting 6 mpg towing the big trailer and the motor didn't sound like it was gonna make it home. I have had no problems with the s/c and Whipple's customer service is top notch, even helping me upgrade the kit for free. They answer my dumb questions and are always helpful. I have heard good things about the Magnuson s/c but I think for low boost applications on stock motors the innercooler is a waste of money. Just my .02. Why don't you put a full injected motor in the Chevelle and then s/c that 😢 I love those cars, if I ever get back into the street rods I think that will be the car I do. Good luck.

Chris

I have the '99 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3 and it'll light em up pretty easy from a dead start. The only changes I made have been a K&N filter and Eldelbrock 3" exhaust. That's it. I also have a topper which adds a bit of weight. I can get 18mpg with a steady foot in summer and 17 in winter. that's mostly highway though.

Crazy,

Why don't you put a full injected motor in the Chevelle and then s/c that 😢 I love those cars, if I ever get back into the street rods I think that will be the car I do. Good luck.

Chris

I have had my beloved Chevelle since I was a Sophmore in high school back in 1987, so she is considered part of the family. I built a 383 stroker 3 years ago with Keith Black 11:1 hypereutectic pistons, and put Trick Flow aluminum heads, Weiand intake, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, and a Crane solid lifter cam in it. Add in the 3000 B&M stall and you have one recipe for rear tire incineration! So far, the 10 bolt rear end has held up well.

What really needs to be done right now is interior sheet metal-The floor boards and trunk floor are rotted out and the interior needs to be redone.

😢

Sounds like a great car. Changing that bottom tin is a pain. I did my stepdad's 64 Vette and will never do it again, at least not for awhile. I should have had a tetnus(sp?) shot after all the rusty cuts, scratches, and gouges I got from that project. Good luck and props to you for hanging on to it for this long.

Chris

Crazy, if you are still looking for a hand held only get the Diablo, they are the best in that group of products. If you want a PCM go with Westers or Nelson, they are 2 of the best in that group. If you want all out performance you can tune yourself, "at your own risk", get the LS1 edit and tune the car yourself from a laptop. As was said before check those above links for the trucks and you will see that everything has been done and discussed over and over. You will without a doubt spend money on your trucks after going to those sites.

got mechanic?

I was one, never had any problems with the ram! 😢

As for the whipple, yeahright. My ass would be handed to me before I got off the line. 😢😢😢