Sign in to follow this  

Tire Removal

I'm all ears on how to remove the back tire, I've broken the bead but I can't figure out how on earth to take it off. The bead protector and valve stem are loosened and I tried to use soapy water. Thanks in advance.

You have to get both beads broken and get the bead opposite of the side you are taking off down in the middle of the rim. I use 3 really big tire irons(ziptye ultimate tire irons) and a bit of muscle to get the tire off the rim. You start by getting two of the irons about 3 inches apart and levering both at the same time. I hold the first 2 irons down and then take small bites all the way around the rim with the 3rd iron until I have the first bead off. The second bead will come off a lot easier once you get it started. Check the dirtbike or dirt rider mag websites I think they have some photo how to articles on the subject.

I hope you have tire irons?

If not get your self some large ones, take the rounded ends to a grinder and smoth them out. If you don't know what to do with the tire irons I suggerst you take the rear wheel to a shop and have themn do it for you , its worth the money if they pinch the tube its on them. 😢

since I've pinched more tubes and tore more beads in my garage out of stubborn-ness, I probably have a few tips. As mentioned earlier, the big tire irons help to get better leverage, but I seem to do OK even with the 10-11" short irons I have--just make sure whatever you use doesn't have sharp edges. besides soapy water, sometimes it helps to set the tire in the sun for a while as well, and let it get a little softer. As you get the first couple tire irons in, push the bead on the far side of the tire down into the middle of the rim--that helps a ton, and makes a tire come off a lot easier.

a hair dryer will work, just takes a while to heat the tire

I realized i just need to go out and get tire levers, I can get the bead over the rim with a screw driver, but i need something with more leverage to get it totally off.

the only problem I would say with the WD40 idea is the lingering effect. I agree, WD40 will make that tire super slick and easy to get on/off, but WD40 does not evaporate very well. if some of the WD40 gets inside the tire, it can make the tube or tire slide on the rim while riding, and pinch the tube at the valve stem or rim lock. I've had this happen a few times. as for other home brews, funny enough, baby powder works pretty well too.

When I decided to change my first tire I thought I found a secret. Instead of removing the original tire I would cut it off with a hacksaw.......It was far easier to remove with tire irons! The hacksaw thing left me bruised and took forever. There was blood all over the rim from the sharp wires. No good.

I liek the Zip Tye racing tire irons. Dont worry about getting extremely long irons. Sometimes this can lead to broken beads. Get the tire or wheel warm and use lots of soapy water. Count on pinching a few tubes until you get the hang of it.

I always hated changing tires. I was afraid of ordering from mail order. I dont even think about it any more and am able to get the 100.00 dollar tires for 45. I learned a lot from watching a mechanic at a local cycle shop.

I had a slow day at work, so I built a tire changer, Has three arms that grab the rim from the bottom, with a boom that extends out and goes through the axel, works slicker than snot, designed it so it goes into my truck trailor hitch reciever, comes back over the tailgate so you can use it for a work bench, slides the tire off the rim, flip over the tool slides the tire back on the rim no more pinched tubes, no fuss, no mess, no worries. only draw back now all my friends change their tires at my house.

I had a slow day at work, so I built a tire changer, .. all my friends change their tires at my house.

This is interesting can you post a picture of your tool?

If you can tell me how, I can build a tire machine or do anything to a motorcycle but these damn computers set me off.

no idea,

but there must be someone that can expl. how to copy pictures to the forum??

There is a procedure in the Forum:

pictures & video ( thefirst post )

the tire levers also do not have sharp edges to pinch the tube 😢