Sign in to follow this  

Re-using Stock Grips?

I am changing the handlebars and am wondering if I can reuse the stock grips or do I have to purchase new ones? 😢

What grips are you folks using (stock or aftermarket) and why do you like them?

I use ODI, they just bolt on and come attached to a throttle tube to no wrestling 😢

When you put new grips on 2 times a month, this is soo worth it.

First thing I did with my Honda was to pull off the Renthals, order 1 new left stock grip, and mount up my T2s. I could have pulled off the original left and re-used it, but i figure I'll put the Renthals back on when I sell the bike, so 1 new grip is cheap.

Back in the winter of 2001, I went to a Golfsmith golf club making class and learned how to regrip golf clubs using double-sided grip tape.

(looks a lot like double sided masking tape)

Anyway, I found that I can quickly regrip my handlebars using the same technique, and can add a few layers of extra tape on the handlebars where my palms contact the grips to add extra cushioning. (I personally like Renthal half waffle soft grips, but they do wear quickly)

The process goes like this:

(1) Remove the old grips and grip glue or tape.

(2) Use some spirits of Naptha (Rubber cement solvent/cleaner)

to take off any remaining "sticky" suff.

(3) Wrap a layer of grip tape around the end of the handlebar...

I usually put on two overlapping layers to cover the entire

circumference of the handlebar grip area with 2" wide grip tape.

(Grip tape has a backing paper to protect the 2nd sticky side...

So make sure it is removed before going to step 4.)

(4) Pour some Naptha on the tape to get the tape wet, and pour a little

Naptha into the new grip and shake to get the inside of the grip coated.

Simply slide the grip onto the taped area and position your grip

as you want it to be when completed. Naptha evaporates very quickly,

and I have ridden within as little as 30 minutes of completing a regrip,

but an hour or two would be more reasonable.

This method can be used to install used or new grips...

Since the adhesive layer is pretty much guaranteed to be uniform,

I have completely given up on safety wiring my grips... I have fallen

and torn up grips, but they have always stayed well connected.

As an added bonus, Naptha is great at removing the sticky leftovers of decals and graphics...

But does not damage paint or plastics.

It is flamable, so use in a well-ventilated area away from open flame.

Anybody else out there using this type of technique?

(4) Pour some Naptha on the tape to get the tape wet, and pour a little

Naptha into the new grip and shake to get the inside of the grip coated.

Greenstead77G why would you use Naptha to put back on the tape and in the grip if Naptha is used to remove glue and sticky material? Wouldn't this defeate the purpose, just wondering cause I have never heard of doing grips this way?

Remove grip using a small screw driver to get some wd-40 in the grip and they will slide right off.

Then re-apply with Hair Spray yes i said hair spray. Jusst drown the inside of the grip and slide it back on. Then safety wire and let sit over night. They will not come loose and the hair spray make it easy slide on and no mess.

Take a long flat blade small diameter screw driver and stick it into the grip as far as you can. Lift up on the screw driver and spray in WD-40 as you move the screw driver around the bar. Remove the screw driver and twist on the grip, it comes right off.

My favorite are Domino grips, but I didn't waste my stock Honda's I just put them on my Pro Tapers.

Orrr....use the screwdriver and pry up the grip and slip a pointed air nozzle under the grip....apply air and the grip should "puff" up and you can begin to slide the grip off. This would eliminate having to clean out the WD-40...if you are in a hurry to re-apply your grips. Just another way to do it. 😢

OneBadMust:

You only put enough Naptha on the grip tape to make the tape slippery... not enough to remove the adhesive... A handfull of drops will do the trick, and it make the grip slide right on.

The hairspray method works really well too, but I never trusted it without safety wire.

Grinstead 77G: Cool, I will try that next time! I have some of that double sided tape by 3m laying around here somewhere, thanks for the info. 😢

I've been using the "Golf club" method and safety wire. I tried the "Hairspray trick" once and was not impressed. I'm not sure what Naptha is but I use Ligher fluid, like for a zippo lighter also Coleman stove and lathern fuel will work. 😢

I was doing the spray paint thing for years, tried Renthal Grip glue (had to use most of it on my colon to repair the damage from the purchase price)...(for what you get anyway). The Renthal glue works great, but its sooo expensive for what you get I cant bring myself to do that again...

Then one day, I saw some 3M weather strip adheasive. Oddly enough, it looks, smells and works exactly like the Renthal glue...So, I tried the weather strip glue this last time. We'll see how it works out...

The grip tape deal sounds good though, because the grip tape wont end up all at the end of the bar when you push the grip on.

I can see why you'd "lubricate" the grip tape with Naptha. You'd never be able to slide the grip over the tape without it.

As far as grips go, I was using the stock OEM grips on my 03 till just a little while ago. They finally started to show some wear. I normally like Scott half waffle mediums.

Ive tried the Renthal Grips, not all that impressed with them to be honest...

What grips are you folks using (stock or aftermarket) and why do you like them?

I have like (6) sets of Renthal medium full diamonds on the shelf - I crash a lot. I do have a couple of sets of Spyder grips waiting to be tested too. The spyders are certainly more expensive than the Renthals, but we'll see if they're worth it.

I like the consistent texture of the full diamond.

I use renthal grip glue to, but I'm waiting to hear more from Shawn_Mc on his 3m thing....

For you guys who have tried the spray paint how does this method hold up,? Do you have to use the tie-wire as well? Thanks 😢