Sign in to follow this  

what did you buy that was a waste of money? PART III

since we seem to have an influx of new, naive, virgin 250F owners 😢 i thought it'd be a good idea to have another installment of "motorcycle crap i bought that i wish i hadn't".

we did this a long time ago here:

what did you buy that was a waste of money?

and again here:

what did you buy that was a waste of money? PART II

here's your chance to vent. have at it.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

my list:

1)

i had no paint left on my frame sides:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/motomisc3/IMG_0136_sm.jpg

i used Duplicolor truck bed liner paint to "fix it":

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/motomisc4/IMG_0190_sm.jpg

it looked great when i was done:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/motomisc4/IMG_0191_sm.jpg

it didn't even make it through the six days of michigan.

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1345_sm.jpg

summary: get proper frame guards for your new bike. now.

2)

chain lube. the biggest motorcyle gimmick going. if you have an O or X-ring chain (stock on WRF's, by the way) you are just pissing away money on expensive chain lubes.

3)

pro-taper half waffle grips. they suck for long distance riding -- no vibration isolation and a primary cause of many blisters.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

A free 1983 kx80---later discovered it had a blown cylinder, head, piston and tranny.

I did however learn to work on a bike from then on and it got me into mx.

A free 1986 yamaha exciter 185------I just don't learn.

A free almost new pair of Tech 8s, the'yre comfy unless it is raining and then they turn into buckets. I did three races on them (supermoto) and the sole seperated from the rest of the boot.

cheap tools!!!!!!

i cannot stress enough how much a poor quality tool will cost you double.

yes, double.

1) you pay for the crappy one.

2) it either breaks or does not perform the job correctly

which results in

3) buying the more expensive tool

therefore, instead of buying the better quality one first, you have not only wasted your money on junk but then bought the expensive one too.

i learned this leason way back in the early '70s.

and dunlop tires. good for saving the rims till ya put GOOD tires on.

A shinny new Purple rear fender for my KTM-300 I had.

I put the fender on, admired my work & the look, fired up the bike, took off across the field, flipped the bike over backwards, scattered the new fender. The thing wasn't on the bike 5 mins.

I paid $8.50 a quart (and i got a few gallons) for the yaamlube part synthetic at my local dealer - what a waste.

I also got talked into buying a an exhaust plug that was "four stroke specific". $12.50 later I had what I could have had for about 4 bucks. But my biggest blunder was buying an xr250 to start out on. I'm not saying its not a good beginner bike but I paid like 5000 new and out grew it in about 3 months. Should have got a motocross bike to begin with!

my list:

2)

chain lube. the biggest motorcyle gimmick going. if you have an O or X-ring chain (stock on WRF's, by the way) you are just pissing away money on expensive chain lubes.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

umm, what do we do for chain lube? This happens to be on the current list of questions I had.... ? 😢

umm, what do we do for chain lube? This happens to be on the current list of questions I had.... ?

the lubricant in an X- or O-ring chain is sealed inside the links. it won't come out and you can't get new stuff in. nothing you apply to the chain is going to make any difference, and in general it will just attract more dirt -- making a sticky grinding compound which will abrade the chain and sprockets.

so

1) wash your bike off using water and simple green or whatever.

2) put bike on stand.

3) start the bike, the heat from which will accelerate drying and thus prevent corrosion due to water sitting somewhere it shouldn't be.

4) while it's running, put the bike in 1st (carefully so it doesn't fly off the stand). the back wheel will rotate. (danger! even at idle the 250F produces 5HP or so, which WILL remove your finger if you get it between the chain and sprocket!)

5) spray WD-40 on the chain while it's rotating. feel free to put on as much as you want.

6) kill engine, store bike.

7) chain will last forever if you do this 1 minute drill

note: if you are in a hurry or don't have a bike stand -- but do have a WRF w/kickstand -- use this trick: start the bike. while standing on the left side of the bike, pull handlebar towards you. the bike will pivot up on the kickstand and front wheel, raising the rear wheel. reach down and engage 1st gear. (carefully again!) rear wheel begins turning, spray WD40.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101606

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119472

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92279

there was a good thread on this recently but the TT search function is fsck'd again. i feel un-empowered. 😢

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Biggest waste was HONDA-PRO chain lube.I needed chain lube and the honda dealer was on the way and it was the only thing they had.All it was, was bad smelling water.All it did was waste my money.

Another thing the sucked was these cir-clip pliers i bought at the hardware store with replaceable tips.When I tried to use them the NEW & IMPROVED tips just moved inside the pliers.

One final thing was a 5X8 open trailer.It was $400 new at the trackor parts store and it had expanded metal as the bottem of it.One time my 250 fell over and the handle bar broke the expanded metal.

So far? My biggest WASTE OF MONEY was the TAG X5 bars. They seem decent enough for 7/8ths bars, but I knew that I was going to be rough on these things and I know that I muscle everything I put my hands on.

These bars have been nothing but great for me. I have mangled every other part on my bike but these bars have proven tough for me. High and low speed craches in mud and boulder fields. You really must have smashed something hard to destroy them. 😢

These bars have been nothing but great for me. I have mangled every other part on my bike but these bars have proven tough for me. High and low speed craches in mud and boulder fields. You really must have smashed something hard to destroy them. 😢

I like mine as well.

I was at the adult book store and I bought the magazine without the plastic coated pages.

What a mistake!

$150 Bash plate, I rode the bike for two years and never hit a thing. It annoyed me when braking and sucked when cleaning the bike.

Partial list of expensive life lessons...

$199 iCat for my 2002 WR250F. I think these might help 2 strokes, but don't make much difference for 4 strokes.

Seal savers - They look so silly that I never put them on.

Carbon fibre air box purchased for $150 on eBay - air boot wouldn't fit my Powernow. Anybody interested in a cheap CF air box and air boot?

YZ85 for my 12 and 14 yr olds to learn on. The power scared the crap out of them. I had fun on it, but eventually sold it and bought them a TTR-125.

The "quiet core" insert for the WB R4 pipe, after installing the "quiet core" insert and repacking my muffler my bike still sound tested at 100/101 db. To ride on public lands in California you must sound test at 96 db. Anyone interested in a used WB R4 muffler with a quiet core insert.

Stomp Gripper Pad kit. They gripped my knees well and didn't rip anything up like skateboard grip tape does. I liked them a lot when they stuck on the bike. But, they only lasted a half season and cost me about $40. I'd come into the pits and half the pads would be missing. They didn't stick at all on my aluminum frame (but that didn't matter because those particular pads were in a stupid location on the bike anyways; I didn't even have to use them for them to fall off). The pads on my plastic lasted a little longer but slowly came off never to be seen again. Too bad. When I had them, it really pointed out the importance of gripping the bike with my knees and the advantage of having some grippy surfaces to hold on to.

Chris.

Subscription to Dirt Bike magazine. Less copy than the other magazines. What is in the magazine these days is more press release than real tests. Lousy magazine and a total waste of money. My vote for the next magazine to go away.

😢 an engagement ring for my ex-wife 😢