Sign in to follow this  

Bike reccomendations

I'm 17, 6'1" and weigh about 150. I'm looking into getting a bike. Don't want to spend alot of money. I was looking at a CRF230F. It fits in my budget perfectly. But i'm just worried about it having enough power.

I deffinatly want a 4 stroke. Not goin to be riding motocross, just trail riding. Thanks guys.

If moneys real tight look at the TTR230, its a hundred bucks or so cheaper I think, not quite as nice the bike though, the CRF has a little more suspension and ground clearance.

I say get something like a used xr 400r or a wr 400. I started off on a xr 200 and quickly outgrew it (turned around within a month to sell it, it took almost a year before someone bought it), and wish i would have just gotten a bigger biek to start with. My yz 426 in my opinion can never be outgrown, it's surging with power.

If you're looking for tire burning dirt kicking power, start off at 250 on up.

If you are new to bikes, an electric start might be a good idea. maybe the DRZ 400 with the button?

If you can kick start it, then the XR400 really is a great first bike. XR250 would be another option. Used on Cycletrader.com you can get either for 'bout $3K...

Bulletproof-easy to ride, mello power band, etc...great bikes. To bad they dont sell them anymore here in the USA!

electric start would be nice, but I could learn to kick start if I could get a better bike for me that way.

And also, what bike are you talking about that they don't sell here anymore

Here's my 2 cents on the issue: I started on a crf230f. I had it for two months before i was begging for more power. I sold it and lost a heap of money on it and bought a 2002 Yz250f for only 2400 bucks. The yz250f is an incredible bike and outperforms the crf230 in all situations. I personally say look into a used yz250f, they are a dime a dozen- tons of them for sale so its a buyers market for them. My bike had a said 55 hours on it and i paid less than half what a new one costs. Im not a racer so 55 hours or even 100 is fine with me if im going to pay less than half of the value of a new one. I bought the crf230 new and lost like 2200 bucks on it when i sold it including the mods i had on it. I say: don't do what i did. Go bigger and you wont regret it. You'll get used to the 250f pretty quickly and its got plenty of power for serious trail riding. Oh yeah, it pops nice wheelies too. 😢 Its a far superior bike. People will tell you not to buy a motocross bike as a trail bike but thats foolish, people were riding 2 strokes as trail bikes exclusively and the new four strokes are much more tame than a 2 stroke. The yz250f is an AWESOME trail bike. They do make a trail version, the WR250f, but the yz is fine if you arent going to be riding at night as the wr has a light on it and a few other subtle differences. The yz250f is really forgiving and fast and the suspension is great and it seems to me like the best of all worlds. You can even take it to a track if you should wish, the crf230 on the other hand doesnt have the suspension enough to bounce over a fart without bottoming out. Get the Yamaha.

04 was the last year for the XR400 because the CRF450X replaced it. The XR400 was a design from 1996 that was so good Honda never really changed it. I had an 01 that was an outstanding trailbike. When my kids talked me into racing GP, it had to be replaced. Good prices for used 400's Bombproof design. I wouldn't bother with the XR250. Go big and grow into it. 😢

I would love to go with a 400-450 or witha 2 stroke 250, but my parents want to get new or very lightly used. I have tried to convince them to go wtih a used bike or a 2 stroke, but they just won't have it. So 250 4 stroke is the best its gonna get.

I am convinceed that the xr400 and xr250 will be back in a year or so, updated and refined.

There is a huge void between the crf230 and crf250x.