Sign in to follow this  

When checking shim size & gap can you.......

actually check the gap & find out what shim size you need with the cam holder bolted on just the head on a table?

This is with the bike in the intake valve replacement stage so naturally it is all apart.

I always installed it on the bike and thought you had to have it all set up with the timing chain installed and cam & crank marks lined up for the lobes to be in proper position but someone said "no need to" as long as you have the lobes rotated right you can just check them (the gap, IN&EX) with out doing that whole ordeal.

Don't they (the lobes) have to be in the EXACT postion or is there a lot of leeway from the high part of it that can be measured?

😢 Hope I am clear on this.

Correct or not?

Some people say bench shimming works...I dont buy it. I had my head bench shimmed when I went through it and when i got it back, it was off by .004 on one and .002 on the other when I installed it. Before I installed it I checked it on the bench as well and it was spot on .006...I put it on the bike, assembled it, double checked it and got the numbers above...I was pissed.

Shim it assembled.