Any other swingarms fit an XT500?

Are there any other swingarms that fit an XT500? Not some expensive aftermarket one, maybe off a YZ or something. I know that shock mounts would have to be added. Also, has anyone ever monoshocked an XT frame? Seems possible and if it's been done, does anyone have any pics? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup RM400 swingarm bolts right on!! I am in the process of doing up an Auberg replica right now. I cut the rear tail section off the XT frame and fabricated a YZ rear end to fit and made new shock mounts. Gonna be sweet when done:)

Hey, 1980XT500!!

Probably about 12 or more years ago, my cousin hung a set of YZ forks (model & year are long forgotten: sorry... ? ) on the front of a TT500. He then fabbed up a mount on the frame near/behind the forward part of the seat mount, and put two little tabs on the swingarm, just an inch or two behind the pivot, and used one shock on his TT. The "two little tabs on the swingarm" were the bottom shock mounts, and the ones "behind/near the seat mount on the frame" were the upper shock mount. It had no linkage, kinda like how I think some of the old ATKs used to do it. the shock sat more or less vertically, slightly canted forwards. He used the stock swingarm, and some shock off a progressively linkaged MXer (again, I've forgoten what that came off of... ). This worked fairly well. It got a little "crowded" there in the inner fender/airbox area, however, and I can't recall what he did about that..... He did gain some more travel front & rear. I never rode the bike, so have no idea how it all worked together, but he was happy... ?

So that is one option for ya. You could use the stock swingarm, and "engineer' up a non-linkaged shock setup similar to what MXers were using in the late '80s thru '90s.

But the RM swingarm sure sounds like it would be a really sweet deal. I think I'd pursue that first.....

Adrian, I hope you put some pics out of your bike after you get it done! I'd sure like to get a look at it; it sounds really cool! ?

Best Fishes, Jimmie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are quite a few XT's that have had the Honda XR 500 swingarm and monoshock setup conversion done out here in South Africa.There is a picture of one of these in www.xt500-yamaha.com,go to the photo gallery in this site.The swingarm basically bolts right up and these guy's have welded a piece of flat bar across the top of the frame to mount the top of the shock-it looks a bit touch and go but none have let go...yet.It does cause problems with space though for the air filter.

Good luck.

Do not go to thumperpilot.com and attempt to view pictures. I did and it changed my IE startpage, loaded 17 registry files, 10 malware files, and a host of other tracking cookies. I'm going to notify their ISP. If you already have been there and noticed the changes....get adaware or a good cleanup utility and get that crap off of your box.

Do not go to thumperpilot.com and attempt to view pictures. I did and it changed my IE startpage, loaded 17 registry files, 10 malware files, and a host of other tracking cookies. I'm going to notify their ISP. If you already have been there and noticed the changes....get adaware or a good cleanup utility and get that crap off of your box.

That could explain a lot.....around the time I looked at the pic's on ThumperPilot, I started getting all sorts of pop-ups, and other annoying crap on my PC. I didn't think too much of it, as my kids are always downloading junk full of spyware etc. A couple of the most persistent pop-ups i've had have been 'random540 etc'(can't remember the rest of the header), and 'oldgames'. Do either of these ring a bell? Just to stay on topic, does anyone know what mod's (if any) need to be done for the early (twin shock) KLX250 aluminium swingarm to fit the XT/TT500's? Cheers, Chris. ?

• 7 months later...

JYD,

Any specifics on the Suzi swingarm mod for the tt, years, shock length, etc anything else I need to know?

I already put 88 yz250 front end on it which helped alot and have a set off a 03 yz250 to try next, but the rear needs some serious attention first. Have a installed Progressives but the swing arm needs changing.

I was looking for an old Whitebros "banana" swingarm but they appear quite hard to find, you wouldn't know of one around would ya? Or is the Suzi arm just as good? Or better?

Thanks,

Don

There are only three that I know of: One, the heavy sttel unit from the 1973/1974 Yamaha MX series. Two, the lighter version from the 1973/74 Yamaha YZ250/360, and yes, the aluminum arm from the 1979/80 RM250/400. You can go to www.thumperpilot.com and see a few TT's with the RM arm.

from an earlier reply.....not sure about shock length though, someone else may chime in. The '79-'80 RM swinger is the best option IMHO. :banghead:

The Suzuki swingarm looks very similar to the "banana" swingarm you are looking for,and as far as i know it just bolts right up-i hope so because i am looking for one out here in SA to do what you are looking to do.There is another option as well which you can get from geoff@geoffmorrisconcepts.com who is based in Australia and also does frames for the "HL500",it looks like the "banana"swingarm but is made specifically for the XT..cost is about Aus$ 800.00 i think.

Good luck,

Brandon.

• 6 months later...

The banana swingarm was made for the DR400 as well. The last PE twinshock model used the same RM swingarm The PE175 used smaller bearings and has to have a couple of spacers/reducers turned up so it can fit.

Maybe it just looks the same from the side, I must admit I've only used the PE 175 swing arm on my DR. Once the reducer cups to make the frame holes smaller were put in everything lined up, chain in the guide box, perfect. The 175 PE used a cush drive rear hub, did the RMs? if not that's why the width is different, or was it narrower at the swingarm pivot end?