?'s for CRF250R owners.

I have been looking at the CRF250R for a new bike. I have heard & read in Dirtrider that they have had valve/piston problems. So whats up with this bike. Hows the reliability doing off-road and MX. Does the engine hold up or does it break with-in 6 months. SO whats the story with this bike. All you that have this bike & ride it, whats your facts & opinns on it. ? Thanks.

I've had my bike CRF250R since the beginning of the year. I have no problems with it whatsoever. I am a fairly good rider(? and ride it hard and havent had anything wrong with it. Valves are still in spec, and I have a lot of hours on it. I love this bike. I rode a 05 YZ250F today, didn't like it at all. handled wierd

For MX it seems to work well. The engine can take MX style to the rev limiter and back for 20 minute motos.

For Off Road is works well if you ride it mello--although there are lots of folks who have had the bike fail in just a few months only trail riding.... For Off Road racing its largely a failure and the bike has DNFed every major race its been entered in...

Sadly the 2005 model doesnt have any fix for the valve failure. In fact Honda is still looking at the problem-so at best the 2006 model year might have the fix.

Several aftermarket companies are looking at fixes--but its to early to say what will happen with those options.

The next major race that will have a CRF250X entered is the Dakar Rally in 3 weeks. You can follow the 250X day by day at Dakar.com from Jan 1 to Jan 16th.

I will bet anyone $100 and give 3:1 odds that the bike wont finish the race!!

For sure there are hundreds of guys who have not had a problem with the bike and swear that its the best 250 on the planet. I used to be one of them!

But sadly -- you really should consider that its very likely you will be rebuilding the engine regularly--once or twice a year (or more).

The Yamaha 250 is a much more reliable bike with lots of power. KTM is starting to race a very powerfull 250--but it wont be out for awhile to the public--maybe in '06. For track the KawiSuz is a great option as well. The 2005's have fixed a few of the 2004 issues.

There are broken 6 month old CRF250's for sale on TT -- prices can start at under $3000. To me that sums it up.

The bike is awsome.I had mine since last november and did my first reshim about five weeks ago.Just to play it safe i took the top end apart and everything looked new ,not a ware mark whatsoever.Clutch is still stock that came with it.I ride at least 2 times a week and a pretty fast b rider and don't baby it.If you ride at e-town you might of seen me there.#88b with a sowthwind motorhome and a blue enclosed trailer.

He is a bit disgruntled and understandably so, but I myself have not had a problem with mine yet and it has not been babied. I do ride MX only though so there is not a whole lot of time spent WFO on a long straight or something.

I have only had mine for a few months and it is great!!!! It does require a lot of maintenance due to the valve/piston problems and occasionaly the little thing here and there. But doesnt every motorcycle have one problem or another. Even though the 250r has a few faults think about the good qualities it has. I think it is a very durable bike and by your status im gonna assume you have been riding for some time and that would say you ride hard so take into consideration how you ride and what type of riding your gonna be doing on the bike. ?

Oh and i havent had any problems yet except for when i checked my valves last a couple were pretty tight but other than that NOTHING!!!!! ?

I have only had mine for a few months and it is great!!!! It does require a lot of maintenance due to the valve/piston problems and occasionaly the little thing here and there. But doesnt every motorcycle have one problem or another. Even though the 250r has a few faults think about the good qualities it has. I think it is a very durable bike and by your status im gonna assume you have been riding for some time and that would say you ride hard so take into consideration how you ride and what type of riding your gonna be doing on the bike. ?

Oh and i havent had any problems yet except for when i checked my valves last a couple were pretty tight but other than that NOTHING!!!!! ?

Nope, Only been riding for 6 months. I just heard in DirtBike Magazine that the 2005 CRF250R's, they skirrted the cylinder heads so they wont have the valve problem anymore.