True 05WR weight with /WO Estart

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless the bike fails in some fashion(threw a valve ,or some such thing) NO!, there were several issues upon setup but once dialed in its unstoppable. the people i ride with are all amazed at how after a pretty good digger,i just pick the bike up and go before they even have time to catch up and ask if i'm o.k.!! simply amazing product. and in 30 yrs of riding in all sorts of terrain, i've never had to leave a bike anywhere because i couldn't kick start it. in the words of junior johnson "if these pantywastes had to drive the cars that i drove they woud retire from racing" i believe he was referring to the power brakes,steering,cool suits etc. but anyhoo, some people are willing to sacrifice performance for convenience,no biggie.

I've never had to leave a bike anywhere because i couldn't kick start it.

nether have i. and infarct my starter/batt are not working right now. ?

i always make it up too, but not ever hill or rock every time. my point is the starter can save you from a very dangerous situation where you have to turn around, go down, kick, try again. or in a really nasty spot having to drag it up or flop it.

having said that, have you seen how cheap yz450s are ?? . if you could get a wr tranny in there for cheaper i would buy one for a race bike.

i always make it up too, but not ever hill or rock every time. my point is the starter can save you from a very dangerous situation where you have to turn around, go down, kick, try again. or in a really nasty spot having to drag it up or flop it.

I cant agree more. ? In nasty hill climbs it is so nice to have the e-start if you dont make it! ? The other benefit is the bike does not freewheel to its death with the autoclutch on the rear wheel will never lock up! ?

man, your as bad as my kid !!! i forgot exactly but i think the battery was 2+ lbs,the starter is fairly high up ,there is over a pound of wires and switches and all that crap. removal also allows the use of the yz airbox 1.5 lbs less. this much i can tell you after removing over 24 lbs of crap; the difference is unbeleivable,i guess thats why they usually underpay some overedjucated engineer just to find ways to shave 2 lbs off last years models.?

If you didn't won't the weight of a starter , why in world would you buy the WR and with every trick in the book and then some why not buy the YZ and change Transmission Gears . Last I checked those auto matic clutches run about a Grand. Just musing but if your useing this bike for the mountains , I would like to see 5th and tapped up the side of one.

The Rekluse is about $450 and if you haven't ridden a bike with one, you'll never know what he's talking about.

I bought my 04' 300 EXC with the clutch installed and was going to remove it. One ride and I realized the same thing which is you would not need an e-start on a thumper. Set correctly, the bike will NOT stall. You can come to a complete stop on a hill, in the wrong gear and it will stay running.

You also still have compression braking with the clutch. Let off the gas and it does not just free wheel. The only disadvantages I can see is that you can no longer bump start the bike and sitting on a hill requires you to keep your hands on the brakes since there is no compression to hold you there even if the bike is off and in gear.

I kept my clutch and still use it most of the time. When the going gets really nasty, I ride a gear high and use it like a slipper.

I'm not bashing the clutch, and yes I have ridden a 400 setup with automatic clutch. My point is why bother spending money on a WR and then stripping the starter off of it . Buy the the YZ and change the tank , Add 5th gear then you have a YZ with everything on it and then some. Plus you get 48mm AOSS forks on the YZ.

From what I've heard, it's $1K to do the tranny upgrade. There are a whole lot of other parts involved as well. Larger radiators, larger tank, 18" rear wheel, coil, lights, overflow tank, softer suspension, kick stand, spark arrestor, etc.

If Yamaha would make a YZ with a wide ratio 5-speed and lighting coil, I'd probably be riding one right now.

The 05 is built with 04 YZ suspension. The 05 YZ has the Air OIL Seperation sys forks on it, Plusher!!! softer!!! much better. Overflow tank pulled mine off starting in 03 no problems . You got me on the kickstand and coil not sure about the larger radiators but it does make sense. I make the point that if you have the green to trick out a bike start from the right place. Thousand bucks is not a tricked out bike !!!

1 Scotts Stabilizer appx. $450

2 oversize bars and Tree $200

3 Pipe $275

4 IMS pegs $100

5 Suspension enzo /wsubtanks $750

6 Race backgrounds $46

7 Frame guards $75

8 YZ plastic $65

9 Automatic clutch $350

and a lot of other stuff that we stick on our bikes that I can't remember.

my next bike will probly be a yzf 450,especially if they come out with aluminum frame for 06,i think with the rekluse the tall 1st won't be an issue,especially with a little gearing change. maybe 13/50 ? i don't hardly use 4th on mine as it is and rarely ever 5th so no biggie. but it is what it is t'ill then ?

JEEZUS I cant believe this post is still kicking around. After having worked for Yamaha for 1 month, and riding a few 450WR's, I will tell you I would DITCH the Estart crap, and go with a Rekluse. Its what I will do. Im waiting for the 06 models to arrive. Screw the YZ and its 4 speed tranny.

Yes Dom I will own a Yamaha ?

From what I've heard, it's $1K to do the tranny upgrade. There are a whole lot of other parts involved as well. Larger radiators, larger tank, 18" rear wheel, coil, lights, overflow tank, softer suspension, kick stand, spark arrestor, etc.

If Yamaha would make a YZ with a wide ratio 5-speed and lighting coil, I'd probably be riding one right now.

My understanding is you also need WR cases since the YZ cases have sllightly different bearing mounts and clearances for the gears. Very expensive Mod! Best to start with the WR and take stuff off! ?

JEEZUS I cant believe this post is still kicking around. After having worked for Yamaha for 1 month, and riding a few 450WR's, I will tell you I would DITCH the Estart crap, and go with a Rekluse. Its what I will do. Im waiting for the 06 models to arrive. Screw the YZ and its 4 speed tranny.

Yes Dom I will own a Yamaha ?

I'll believe it when I see it.. ?