Sign in to follow this  

studded tires

I am planning to do a little expermenting with studed tires this winter,I am wanting to end up with something that I can run January-March,that is when we have the most ice and snow I want to be able to ride pavement and dirt.

I found a guy here in town that will install car tire studs for me he has studded tires for ice racing but that isnt what I want I thought maybe between the 2 of us we could figgure out something that might work 1/2 a$$ on ice and pavement,I was thinking about only studding 1/3 of the knobs maybe 1/2 of the knobs so I would still have a little grip on pavement and not slide around like a hog on ice when its icy,has anyone tried something like this and if so what seamed to work best..

anouther question what size rear tire would I want?

I have read the Kenda trackmaster works pretty well with car studs so that is the tire I'm going to try.

I want to keep this as cheap as possible and still work fairly well.so do you think a 100/100/18 at $26.00 would work or should I stick with a 110 or 120 width?

Any ideas on how much stud to leave sticking out?

keep im mind this isnt to be a full blown ice tire just something with a touch of grip on ice and frozen slush,and a little rubber on ground for pavement...

I welcome any ideas or suggestions.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sargentrab/album?.dir=9188&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sargentrab/my_photos

If the link works this is the stuff what I want them to work in plus dry pavement..

The snow pics are 1/2 inch of ice with snow on top and I rode on that crap with bald MT 21's so anything has to be a little improvment....

Harder rubber will keep the studs from ripping out.

Guys run these www.winterstuds.com here in the slop.

(the shorter stud version)

Not much snow but a lot of wet clay and roots.

My buddy had a long discussion about studding tires wich would be reasonable driveable on pavement also with the tire company www.kisarengas.fi. The result was that we ordered tires with mixture of WRC car studs (4mm sticking) in the middle and FIM enduro studs (8mm sticking) on sides. There are lots of studs, maybe 250/tire and half of them are both types. Tire is Kings, 110/100-18 and 3*21.

Traction is good on snow and ice. I havent tried it on pavement but my buddy says its OK.

I have to admit it was not cheap though, 310 euros per pair.