Sign in to follow this  

Oil Changes

I'm interested in why some of you really feel the need to change your oil so frequently. Every 300 miles - every 500 miles -every 800 miles - why???

With a decent oil surely there's no case for changing sooner than every 2000 miles??

We all know Suzuki's oil change recommendations, so particularly with a mostly-road use bike, why do it more often? On my tuned 400S, I change it at 2000 miles,and it's fine.

Even with my olde Triumphs without a paper filter 1000 miles was too often.

Is everyone paranoid, or am I missing something here??

First, Welcome to TT....

Second, I think you are missing something...and here's why....

If you spend a lot of time off-road, the oil gets dirty very quickly, as you have a lot more time on the engine per mile. If you are on the road a lot, well then you are turning a lot of rpms in less time on the road. Modern bike engines are highly tuned and VERY rough on motor oil. After all, the two quarts in your bike has to lube the transmission AND the engine, effectively doing double duty. Motor oil is cheap compared to engine work, and there is no reason not to change it often. I think that 2000 miles of hiway is way too far for a 10000 rpm spinning motor to go on two quarts of oil. I change mine about every 750-1000 miles on the road, and If I go on an off road trip...It's changed when the bike gets cleaned up.

Yours may run fine being changed every 2k, but if we start with new motors, put 20000 miles on each one, and then tear 'em apart, I bet you a steak dinner mine will be in better shape with a change every 1000 miles.

It's your bike, run it like you will... but you will have a hard time avoiding answers like this if you ask about oil changes. 😢

bring me your bike and let me ride it for a day.i promise you will compelled to change the oil after just one ride.

just fyi,mine gets get changed every hard ride or 100 miles. 😢

nice first post. 😢

Now all you have to remember is these other guys are extreme riders and they push past the limits that the mfg.recommends by a long shot. 😢😢 Some people call it abuse some call it fun. 😢 Their motor won,t last as long as most riders. Why do you think they know so much about problems and working of these bikes.BECAUSE THEY DON'T PLAY NICE WITH THERE TOYS and they break them!!! 😢 race bikes don't have warranty and you should know why.But if you drive sanely and use the bike 65/35 street/trail mfg spec should be fine.If you believe the rev limiter is is your idea if a shift point indicator than you should change your oil and filters more often. 😢🤣

.If you believe the rev limiter is is your idea if a shift point indicator than you should change your oil and filters more often. 😢😢

Thats why it's there 😢 If your not using the bike to it's full potential.. why ride it 😢

Is Vespa still in business?

😢

Thats why it's there 😢 If your not using the bike to it's full potential.. why ride it 😢

Is Vespa still in business?

:D

😢🤣:D😢🤣😢

We all know Suzuki's oil change recommendations, so particularly with a mostly-road use bike, why do it more often? On my tuned 400S, I change it at 2000 miles,and it's fine.

Not to be an a$$, but how do you know? Without oil analysis, your statement has no merit. Send them your sample ( about $15 for the service) and post back. I get tired of all the speculation.

I always look,taste & sniff mine to select my best brand of oil. but I have a problem with synthetic It needs cream & sugar. 😢😢

Now we all know the cleaner the oil the better it is . The part per per million of contamination in an oil test will be less on oil with less hours that are ran the same.Suzuki spends millions on r&d on each model and they like to take the middle of the road on this view. They like to sell bikes. On one hand they want to have their bikes last so people will deem them reliable. on the other hand they don't want to burden the owners with lots of upkeep on ther bikes.

I alway thought of suzuki being the low end of quality on jap bikes& honda the high end. then yamaha 😢 Opps Did i say that 😢

I always look,taste & sniff mine to select my best brand of oil. but I have a problem with synthetic It needs cream & sugar. 😢😢

Now we all know the cleaner the oil the better it is . The part per per million of contamination in an oil test will be less on oil with less hours that are ran the same.Suzuki spends millions on r&d on each model and they like to take the middle of the road on this view. They like to sell bikes. On one hand they want to have their bikes last so people will deem them reliable. on the other hand they don't want to burden the owners with lots of upkeep on ther bikes.

I alway thought of suzuki being the low end of quality on jap bikes& honda the high end. then yamaha 😢 Opps Did i say that🤣

😢

By chance did you have something of value to add to this topic 😢

Yes that suzuki will know all lot more than you know on these bikes.

You should not bash owners for following the recommended Maintenance for these bike under normal operating condition.

& my post has some humor and your last post was rude.

Yes that suzuki will know all lot more than you know on these bikes.

You should not bash owners for following the recommended Maintenance for these bike under normal operating condition.

& my post has some humor and your last post was rude.

Rude

😢

I suppose the truth can feel that way sometimes...

If you believe that Suzuki wrote the owners manual in a manor that best serves those that use a motorized vehicle to it's fullest potential,, you are either naive, or simply unwilling to see why that it is not so.

That is not a flame,, just is 😢

Your all knowing Suzuki owners manual says valve adjustments should not be done until 15,000 miles.

Your all knowing Suzuki engineers who spend millions of dollars on R& D designed, then redesigned, then redesigned, then redesigned an Automatic Cam chain Tensioner,, that still fails.

Your Suzuki engineer team after spending millions on R& D, built a motor with paper thin side case covers,, routinely damaged by riders,, and after 5 model years,, there R& D, plus market feedback has led them to not redesign that part.

I can go on,, by my point is made.. The OEM's design a vehicle that well sell.. if performance is a byproduct,, so be it,, if less maintenance comes with the package,, that was just a coincidence,, Nothing is designed or spent on a OEM vehicle that was not put there to sell more units of the product.

I do not mean to belittle those who desire to follow the OEM's recommendations,, I do attempt to explain why that is not the best choice for most. If it works for you,, keep on doing it,,, your mechanic will appreciate the extra business 😢

Do you think i would let those mechanic at some dealers work on my bike I think not!

My best mechanic is the shop manual (from mfg) my ability,common sense and the ability to learn from others peoples problems.All those thing you said about the MFG. Suzuki have reasons why it was done that way and some of it is saving $$$$$and having owner not taking the bike in to have cam chain adjustments done for non mechanic types .Hey it's not my fault that the engineer is incompetent in making a cam chain adjuster. But maybe his boss said (to much$ make it cheaper) again $ drive everything.

Being an American means I will fight for your right to voice of your opinion ,But I don't have to believe what you say as fact.Your work at Thumpertalk has been A+ . some moderator my have just deleted my last post but you didn't. Good Man! I would like to ride with you some day and we could go more in depth of our views 😢😢

your right,im completely incapable of working on your bike.

(the above message from one of those mechanics at some dealer.)

your suzuki owners manual also says the useful life of your bike is less than 20,000 miles.

Thats great news :thumbsup:What page is that on ?I have to show my wife that! Maybe I can trick her into letting me get a new bike next year. 😢 burned how much for a 78 rm125 crank? and I said some mechanic. as you know some shouldn't be.

its in the emissions info section i believe.goes by the size of the motor.

im out of the 78 rm125 business.

give steeles cyle a call.303 781 5339.ask for tim.

its in the emissions info section i believe.goes by the size of the motor.

Just checked and it's 30k km or a bit over 18k miles for our bikes. Amazing.

Do you think i would let those mechanic at some dealers work on my bike I think not!

My best mechanic is the shop manual (from mfg) my ability,common sense and

I've been riding since I was 17 and have more miles in my bikes than my trucks. I do much of my own work but that's due to $$ and that I like to do it - at least if its not too cold in the garage.

However, I need to have some stuff done by dealer wrenches like the fluid changes in my BMW's ABS brakes, the Mo Di Tec check there too and some other stuff. Also I need to visit dealers when on the road. In all the time I've been riding, I've NEVER had a bad dealer mechanic experience.

Have you?

Watch out if the moderators doesn't like what you have to say they will delete your post. thats what they did here. I stepped on there toes by saying that for some people the recommended mfg.Pm's are OK.But They didn't like that so they got rid of the posts! M 😢 bike has 12000 miles and it is still as good as the day I bought it .most of the Pm's were by the book.some were done sooner. my preference.They could have just let this thread just dissapper. so beware your views may not be good enough for the the drz section of thumper talk. God I feel like I'm in in old Russia. 😢😢 Look fast this post may not last!You guys may know you stuff but you don't play well with others.Arrogant