Sign in to follow this  

Question Hotcam mods

I have a 2002 DRZ S model. This past weekend I finished a bunch of mods. At this point I have the following done. 3x3 airbox mod, Full Yosh SS, DJ Jetting Kit with 142.5 main and 25 pilot. I was considering doing a Hotcams intake cam and E exhaust cam over the winter. I do NOT plan to switch to the FCR carb. With what I have done so far will the cams make a noticable difference in power while keeping the stock carb? Id rather spend my money elsewhere if the cams arent going to make a noticable difference.

Thanks,

Jeff

it will be a good gain.

Thanks Burned 😢

You dont happen to have a spare E exhaust cam in your shop that you want to sell do you?

Bummer, oh well. Which one do I want? Seems the fische lists two for the E:

( 2-1 ) 12720-29F00 CAMSHAFT, EXHAU

( 2-2 ) 12720-29F20 CAMSHAFT COMP,E -- This one seems to be the same part number as the exhaust cam for the S, so I assume I want 12720-29F00 ?

Bummer, oh well. Which one do I want? Seems the fische lists two for the E:

( 2-1 ) 12720-29F00 CAMSHAFT, EXHAU

( 2-2 ) 12720-29F20 CAMSHAFT COMP,E -- This one seems to be the same part number as the exhaust cam for the S, so I assume I want 12720-29F00 ?

If burned can not give you a positive response.... call the dealer and ask....I think your right.. I think 2-1 is for the 49 state E, and 2-2 is for the CA E (with it's S motor)

I have a 2002 DRZ S model. This past weekend I finished a bunch of mods. At this point I have the following done. 3x3 airbox mod, Full Yosh SS, DJ Jetting Kit with 142.5 main and 25 pilot. I was considering doing a Hotcams intake cam and E exhaust cam over the winter. I do NOT plan to switch to the FCR carb. With what I have done so far will the cams make a noticable difference in power while keeping the stock carb? Id rather spend my money elsewhere if the cams arent going to make a noticable difference.

Thanks,

Jeff

pretty much the same mods i did to my 04 except i went w/the muzzy. i was looking to do the same.

where were you going to buy the hotcam from?

pretty much the same mods i did to my 04 except i went w/the muzzy. i was looking to do the same.

where were you going to buy the hotcam from?

If I decide to go with the cams I'll most likely order from the TT store.

( 2-1 ) 12720-29f00 Camshaft, Exhau

Thanks Burned.

One more stupid question. 90% of my riding is in the woods, so which would give me more low-end. Hotcams intake and leave the stock S exhaust cam, or switch to the E exhaust. After reading another post, Im a little confussed on this.

The better solution is the E exhaust cam, and HC intake.. saying that,, as I liked it the best on my woods riding DRZ.

The HC IN is a sure bet no matter what EX cam,, so go with that.

I ran the HC Ex cam for a while with my CV carb,,it was ok,,, but I preferred the E cam more.

Once I swapped to the FCR carb,, preferred the HC EX cam.. Which is what I'm running now.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

I had the exact same setup as you have now. Last weekend I finished installing the hotcam intake and S exhaust cam, and bumped the compression up to E spec 12.2:1.

It makes more power alright, sounds better too. But you dont get performance for free, and these mods took their toll on the gentle nature of the DRZ.

Its got a great power hit now, but there's more noise and more vibration. Not a lot more, but I can tell. Its great off road, not as good on long street trips IMHO. Basically, your going more toward pure dirtbike performance, which is my design goal for this machine anyway.

Would I change back? Not on your life, but I thought you should know.

Jeff,

I had the exact same setup as you have now. Last weekend I finished installing the hotcam intake and S exhaust cam, and bumped the compression up to E spec 12.2:1.

It makes more power alright, sounds better too. But you dont get performance for free, and these mods took their toll on the gentle nature of the DRZ.

Its got a great power hit now, but there's more noise and more vibration. Not a lot more, but I can tell. Its great off road, not as good on long street trips IMHO. Basically, your going more toward pure dirtbike performance, which is my design goal for this machine anyway.

Would I change back? Not on your life, but I thought you should know.

Soniq,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we are both headed in the same direction. I never ride on the road, unless I have no choice. My only reason for getting the S was so I could easily get it registered and insured here in NJ and ride in the state forests.

Ive been readin about making the base gasket swap as well. Are you still able to run on pump gas with your new setup?

Pump gas is said to be OK by others on this board. Theyve steered me in the right direction on all the other stuff so I take their word on this. Well find out when summer comes and its 107' out. I could always mix in some race gas if necessary, but I hope it doesnt come to that. 12.2 is pretty tight, but the E models come that way stock.