Sign in to follow this  

Water Pump Bearing Help Needed!

My used CRF450 was losing coolant form the check hole. I replaced the WP shaft, bearing and both seals. Putting the new bearing in I froze the bearing and heated the right side case cover lightly, and greased theoutside of the bearing. It did not go easy so I tapped the bearig with a socket, it finally slipped in but wasn't fluch with the case, and it wasn't flush against the oil seal. I felt like if I hammered it anymore that the case would break. I dry fir the whole thing together ans the front side of the case had a litle wobble, but i felt the gasket would make it up. Does this sound normal? I haven't started it yet, I'm waiting for a clutch bolt. I bought a boysen pump cover and impeller, so I don't want to screw it up!! HELP!

I just did one and the bearing was not flush with the case. After looking from the other side you will see that the bearing is tight against the case.

Just take a look at where the bearing meets the case with the seals out and I think you will see that the bearing is up against the case. Should be no problem.

James

How many hrs. does the engine have on it? Is this the first time you've replaced the bearings and seals? Are you hearing a weird noise yet? If you run the engine for a while and it seems like it's leaking again out of the hole too quickly, you may have a worn balancer shaft bearing showing it's ugly head! A persistent water leak out of the hole is a sure sign. Hope this is not the case with yours.

I believe there was a space between the seal and bearing. The seal shouldnt contact the bearing, it seals on the shaft not the bearing.