Sign in to follow this  

improving: your thoughts please

I race an yzf250, and have gotten pretty good, and find it hard to improve my lap times compared. I used to be able to just ride and then i got faster but now it doesn't work like that. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my speed and skills besides a mx school 😢 . For example like practicing certain areas etc. Thanks in advance

I think that the thing that sets people apart is those who accelerate longer, brake deeper, and accelerate earlier out of the corner.

I don't have any questions why Carmichael, Reed, and Bubba are the fastest. They are the hottest into the corners, brake the hardest when they get there and are the first out of a corner to accelerate.

When I am working on going faster, I take the time to see just how fast I can come into a corner and still get stopped for the corner. Obviously, the front brake is a must, but I bet that you can get 50-60 feet closer to the corner before you start braking just with practice. Just run at the corner, full race speed, and grab all the brakes you have and stop (yes stop). See how far you are from the apex and repeat. I can usually gain 20-30 feet when I practice this.

James

I think that the thing that sets people apart is those who accelerate longer, brake deeper, and accelerate earlier out of the corner.

James

James is dead on...I have been thinking about what separates the top guys from the rest of the riders, and it seems to come down to these things. Everyone can go fast in a straightaway, but not everyone is willing to wait that extra half second before slamming on the breaks. This has been posted here before, but if you can just gain 1/4 of a second in a corner, you can gain several seconds a lap on someone...

The biggest difference I noticed when moving from the B class to the A class was that the A riders take a much wider and more sweeping line through most corners. C and B riders, on the other hand, often enter the turn too tight and square-off too much because they think the fastest line is the one with the shortest distance. In reality, the fastest line is usually the one where you arc the smoothest turn and maintain the most momentum. This is how an 80 Expert is able to turn faster lap times than alot of novices on 450s. I suggest that you watch what line that the fastest riders are taking, and force yourself to practice that line.

Yep corners are it. Brake late and hard, easing but holding the brake into the corner. Accellerate early. Take lines where you can keep momentum.

Practice circle, oval and figure eight drills.

Your plataue is not unusual. Its called the law of diminshing returns and all athletes experence it. The athletes with a greater drive have desire to go beyond it and so so bit by bit gradually, while most just accept it and stay at about the same ability for the rest of eternity.

I don't know what level you ride at but being able to go thru whoops, braking/accleration bumps or rythm sections without slowing down is also key to improving lap times. Alot of the guys that I raced against were faster at corners than me but I would repeatedly pass em when the track got ruff. When the bike starts hitting hard bumps or getting out of shape most riders slow down. Riding trails really helps me with this, as trails are not usually groomed and can get hammered. If you can ride at your normal pace even when track conditions are not optimal you will gain lots of time.

corners are the main part of a race, that were you see the most bumping. but, there are other things on the track the will make up even more time, then just corners, and that air time and braking time.

you have to limit the amount of time your on the binders, or in the air. because that's were you make up the most time.

for and ex. look at bubba, and how he has his "bubba scrub" the only reason he does that is, in a race were your the only 125 you have to be on the gas all the time if you want to win. so if he lets off the gas he's got to make the time back up some were else. and he does that by staying low over every jump and charging them as hard as he can.

next time you go out racing brake the track in to sections and practice that section 4 or 5 time then move on to the next one and so on and so on.

No, no, no, most people reading this thread dont need to learn the Bubba scrub. Most people probably need to keep their elbows up and stand until all the braking is done. All the pros are past the basics thats why they can make time scrubbing speed. I would bet 75% of the people on this forum coast into corners.

No, no, no, most people reading this thread dont need to learn the Bubba scrub. Most people probably need to keep their elbows up and stand until all the braking is done. All the pros are past the basics thats why they can make time scrubbing speed. I would bet 75% of the people on this forum coast into corners.

i never said that any one need's to learn the bubba scrub i was just useing it as and ex.

but i wouldn't dougth that 75% go in to corners coasting,

I would bet 75% of the people on this forum coast into corners.

Have you been watching me ride??? 😢

Seriously, though, one of the things that helps me go faster (note I did not say fast, nor am I implying that I am fast) is to ride with another rider of similar abilities, or, perhaps, even better. If your riding buddy is about the same speed, you have to work REAL hard to try to pass him/her. If he's/she's a little faster, you have to work REAL hard just to (try to) keep up, much less pass. Works for me anyhow. I know I think I'm pushing myself riding alone doing my own thing, but I seem push much harder when there is someone else involved...........and try lines I'd probably never try otherwise.

I am a pretty new rider, been riding for about 4 months now. Anyway, my brother in law is the guy tht got me into riding. He has been riding his whole life, and is a very skilled rider IMO. I like the fact that I get to ride with someone who is much more advanced than I am. It makes me try harder, and I have someone to teach me differant techniques. Its really cool, I want to get faster so we can battle it out, and he wants the same thing.

I also feel that practicing with faster riders will make you faster also. You begin to pick up on things that they are doing and eventually it just comes natural. I started racing again a couple yrs ago,( I took over 25yrs off of motorcross) The bikes, Tracks, and riding tecnique, were all very different from 1980. All my riding buddies a young fast A riders, (Dist 17 champions) Just practicing and watching them race helped me get up to speed real quickly!! Hope this helps... Troy