Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R Good in the trails?

Yes, but would need a little suspension work to accomodate. The bike is lighter than the X, so that is a plus. It has a little more power than the X, which is good. It still handles exceptionally well on the track or on the trail. Its just the suspension is set up stiff for jumping. So those log crossings and root hoppings and other obstacles will be a little rougher ride. 😢

I have a CRF 250 and all I ride are trails and I believe the bike is great. I previously owned a KTM200exc and it sucked in the woods compared to my crf and i had the suspension done on the KTM. As far as the suspension goes I weigh about 150lbs and I have no problem with the suspension mine is stock and I am scared to change it because it works so well. I did install a flywheel weight because it had so much power it would wear me out to ride it for 2 hours.

I have used mine on trails a few times, no problems at all with it. I also plan to race it in a hare scramble Jan 8th. The only small problem you "could" have would be overheating if they are extremely tight trails and there is no airflow getting over the radiator. I have never had that problem but I could see it as a possibility.

I've ridden mine in very tight trails on some really hot days and no overheating problems at all. It loves to jump in first gear, which is about the only problem I've found. In very tight trails, moving up a gear on the rear would help for sure. One of the biggest problems I've found is on really high speed sections like desert. It winds out quick in 5th gear and although it gets there fast, a 6th gear would be great. I guess the wide ratio tranny in the X helps out quite a bit. I've only wished for more top end once so in my opinion, it's no problemo!

I was coming off a 200EXC as well. I'm certainly much faster though most of the trails on the CRF250R since it handles so much better. For lots of rocks, I like to soften things up all the way around, but even if I leave it at my moto settings it works fine, just deflects a little more. The 200EXC certainly had the advantage in the really nasty tight trails because of its smooth bottom end power, but all around I have much more fun on the CRF. Try to find one to ride, you'll probably love it.

I put a skidplate, handguards, a rear disc sharkfin , HD clutch springs and a Devol rear caliper supercooler system on my bike, with the stock gearing, and rage through the woods. It takes a bit of clutch work in really nasty conditions, but in those situations lower gearing would not have helped me much because I suck in those type of conditions

I also just came off a 200exc and I love my crf 250r. I race mainly cross country and a few enduros. Since I've been on the Honda I've gotten a lot faster. I'm passing people I couldn't pass before and having a lot more fun on this bike. I would like to add some flywheel weight, but I'm not sure how much. Any suggestions?

My wife has a 200 EXC that she LOVES ........ I F*%#$@ up and let her ride my 250R last weekend and I, well ....... her bike's for sale. I don't think you need flywheel weight. Drop a tooth up front for $18 first ..... then consider a weight.

Yeah, I'm a biased X owner. Although I don't think you'd go "wrong" either way, I'd start with the X. It's a little more appropriately suspended for trail riding (slightly softer springs and valving), it has the kickstand, the button, overflow tank, wide ratio trans, 18" rear tire, lights, slightly larger fuel capacity, reserve fuel valve (nice to have on long rides), heavier flywheel weight ......... you get the picture. List price is only about $200 higher and it weighs about 25 pounds more. Yes, 25 pounds is a lot, but when you ride the bike, it's not really obvious (at least not to me). If you need more power, the R cam is only about $140 and easy to install.

Let the flames begin 😢 .

the 250 stalls easy and its waauaaaaaay too talled geared get a 200 exc ktm. i love it. i ride with my buddy and i smoke him in single track and on the fire roads. KTM FOR LIFE MUTHA&%$#@!AS

rekluse exp 2.0, pmb side stand, fmf q, flex jet fuel srcew and an adjustable leakjet like the the R & D to slow or quicken the hit, raise the forks, increase the sag, drop fork oil height by at least 20, shave down the seat, hand guards, set the clickers all the way out and then go in from there, a nice plush plonker for sure, light as a feather, stall proof, and power to the ground

Edited by BassMan