Sign in to follow this  

Antifreeze

So what is THE best antifreeze to use? After taking that bolt out at the buttom of the engine and draining the old stuff, do I just pure the new Anti? Or there is something else to it....like the oil has two bolts and a screen. Maybe the antifreeze system has its own secrets?

Burned what do you use in your bikes? 😢

Im not Burned, but...

I have understand that you should use such antifreeze which is planned for modern aluminium motors, not that ordinary stuff. Proper mix is usually 50/50.

Nor am I Burned... 😢 Thank god for that,, My wife would be pissed if she lost her well trained big kid for another,, that needed to be house broken 😢

I run Engine Ice brand coolant in my motor for the last year.. Is it better? All I'll say is it works,, and seems to work better then, other name brand motorcycle specific coolant AND water wetter combined.

If cooling has not been a problem for you.. Pick up some premix coolant like that from Maxima

Would there be a problem if you used the "ordinary stuff" like prestone?

Any large retailers that sell Engine Ice?

Both my bikes are gonna need some fresh fluid here soon.

Dont say Kragen because I am boycotting them for good if I can get away with it. 😢

Plus I don't think they carry it anyways.

I hope whatever is in there from the dealer dosnt freeze up this winter sitting in my garage through a Michigan winter. Anyone know? Should I drain it and put new in the spring?

Thanks for the replys. No problems with cooling (its -8c outside now). 😢

Would there be a problem if you used the "ordinary stuff" like prestone?

Any coolant that is low in silicates, designed for aluminum motors should be safe when mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

It's just real easy to buy 2 bottles of premixed coolant designed and marketed for bikes.

I hope whatever is in there from the dealer dosnt freeze up this winter sitting in my garage through a Michigan winter. Anyone know? Should I drain it and put new in the spring?
If it is the stock coolant,, it SHOULD be ok.... if you have any doubts as to it's content or age,, change now.

Corrosion will continue in storage,,, more so with depleted coolant, no longer protecting the system.

If I was in a place that needed winter storage.. I would be changing coolant, oil, filter and gas, just prior to storing for the winter.

I got 22,000km on my Bike and thats with the dealers coolent inside since brand new. Maybe not that smart but it worked pretty good. Never pucked that stuff and never overheated the bike.

is it even possible to over fill your radiator? ithought they were always supposed to be filled to the top.......

also.... no one really answered the original question...

is there anything else to changing the fluid, other than take the bolt out, let it drain and then replace with new?

is it even possible to over fill your radiator? ithought they were always supposed to be filled to the top.......

also.... no one really answered the original question...

is there anything else to changing the fluid, other than take the bolt out, let it drain and then replace with new?

Over fill the rad??? NO,, and yes :naughty: I always inject a few oz of fluid in to the over flow tube after topping off the rad. This allows me to see just a bit in the recovery bottle at all times.

Drain both rads, remove drain plug and drain water pump and lower system. Refill, opening both air purge vents. I like to move the bike around side to side, back and forth several times, while filling to help trapped air get to the filler opening. Add some coolant to the recovery bottle..So if there is a trapped air bubble in the system, as the motor cools, the fluid in the bottle will be drawn in. Check level after the next two heat/cool cycles.

Well, I think us Northern boys ought to use a mix a little stronger than 50%/50% if the bike is stored in an unheated garage or outside. The freeze-point on 50/50 is about -27 degrees F. and I saw -40 degrees F. here this winter. Now, my bike is stored in a secure unheated shed at the cabin and so in "putting her to bed" I mixed a 60%/40% for extra protection. I suspect the 50/50 would probably just slush at the lower temps but I sure don't wanna take a chance on bustin' that little block. That solution is already drained and I'm back to my 50/50 Honda mix. It may get cold here yet but not below -20 degrees F. And, yeah, I've been riding a little but not much. Anything below 40 degrees for any time is just miserable. Gettin' to be a puss in my old age...Good luck :naughty:

That 50/50 mix don't freeze as solid as ice at -27F=-32C, its just a little bit thicker like Ross said. At -40F=-40C it's thicker but not solid. I have driven my car at -43C=-45F without any problems (OK, the wheels were hard) with 50/50 mix.