Sign in to follow this  

Directions needed to Turkey Flats near Pozo

I'm going to be camping at Lake Lopez between Christmas and New Years and am looking for a place to ride. Since I'm not from around this area I called the local ranger station and they told me Turkey Flats is the place to go. Unfortunately, he wouldn't send me a map or give me gps coordinates to the staging area. I wish they would put all these maps on-line. The Ranger said it is easy to find, about 4 miles past Pozo. Can anyone supply a few more details on how to get there?

Thanks

this should help:

http://www.bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/california/blackmtn/index.html

If you are comming from lopez you can just take High Mt Road over the hill. Its something like 16 miles, 1/2 paved and 1/2 not. it will take you in to pozo and you will turn right on pozo road. follow that for a couple miles and go straight at the "T" the road changes name (Park Hill???). just follow that and turn right at the sigh for Turkey flats, its only like 2 miles. depending on the weather and your vechal you may prefer to take 101 north and follow the directions on the web page as High Mt Road has many small creek crosssings that could get a Little Harry. FYI Pozo doesn't have gas or any thing...the saloon is only open sometimes on the weekends

Go one up to Navaho flats which is only a few miles farther and is a much nicer campground. Turkey flats is just a staging area in my opinion.

Sounds like you are camping at Lopez? correct? If so, Turkey Flats is just fine. Navaho flats is on the backside off of 58. Stay on Pozo rd. out of santa Margarita ( the mercantile on the left has great sandwitches!) Like previously mentiond Pozo road will T off to the right go straight on Park Hill road to turkey flats.

We were there two weeks ago and to the right instead of going straight on Park Hill, Ended up driving over Pozo summit and into Navaho flats!!! 😢😢😢 . A well graded dirt road but added considerable time to our trip.

this should help:

http://www.bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/california/blackmtn/index.html

If you are comming from lopez you can just take High Mt Road over the hill. Its something like 16 miles, 1/2 paved and 1/2 not. it will take you in to pozo and you will turn right on pozo road. follow that for a couple miles and go straight at the "T" the road changes name (Park Hill???). just follow that and turn right at the sigh for Turkey flats, its only like 2 miles. depending on the weather and your vechal you may prefer to take 101 north and follow the directions on the web page as High Mt Road has many small creek crosssings that could get a Little Harry. FYI Pozo doesn't have gas or any thing...the saloon is only open sometimes on the weekends

The route I'd take too.

As long as the roads arnt too muddy you should be fine...I made it in my VW rabbit once 😢 , but that was in the summer with dry roads and shallow stream crossings. I was riding pozo today and grabbed a map, if you want one, PM me your address and Ill send it to you.

The trails out at Turkey Flats are intermediate to advanced level. Try to ride in a clockwise direction if you can, we've had a lot of head-on out there lately. Most of the locals try to ride in this direction.

If your going to be out there New Years Day de very carefull we have an annual event that stages at Navajo Flats.

The trails out at Turkey Flats are intermediate to advanced level.

Pozo is advanced?? Maybe rough and brutal at speed, but I don't know about advanced. Heck, the entire place can be riden on a quad with mounted shotguns and an 24-pack beer cooler.

Wooohooo!! Here we go again. Let the debates begin....

Ive been on a few trails their and on in particular was pretty steep! I think it was Las Cheesas (sp)? I've been on Mare Spring and Burnout, those wernt too bad. But that steep/rocky/ rutted stuff near powerline and turkey flats was challenging for me And FUN TOO!

I hope to ride the area more often to learn it, Havnt been over the stairsteps yet!!!

Pozo is advanced?? Maybe rough and brutal at speed, but I don't know about advanced. Heck, the entire place can be riden on a quad with mounted shotguns and an 24-pack beer cooler.

Wooohooo!! Here we go again. Let the debates begin....

I'd say it used to be kinda advanced, before the rangers graded the whole thing. The connector used to be pretty tough, now its a highway pretty much.