Sign in to follow this  

snow riding tips and goggle help

now that its winter everyone is putting their bikes away but i just got mine in october. Its a rmz 250 if you wanted to know. but I've hardly had any riding time on it. But really want to ride it no matter what the conditions, even in the snow. One of my friends said it is a bad Idea, and its hard on the engine, and I'll crack plastics. is this true. But anyway I've been out once and had the problem of fogging goggles and wheel slip like no other. I'm guessing that mud tires would be best, but I was wondering, if I was looking in a hardware store what would the screws be called that I would be putting in my tires. Or if you have a link that would also be great. Thanks a lot. Hey I dont have many riding buddies but Im from Pennsylvania so respond if you want to hook up some time and go riding.

Use Fogtech on your goggles. Works well. Someone told me Pledge, the furniture polish, works good too.

Can't help ya on the tires, except to say buy some ice screws. There is a guy on here with a WR who can help, can't remember who....

Don't listen to what anybody says, riding in the snow is a ton of fun. Your bike should be fine, the four strokes have enough torque to make it through anything. Just dont try going thorugh anything deeper than the height of the fron axle. There is somewhat of a steep learning curve to learning in the snow, so don's expect to be able to go out and fly. I live up in Mass and l have an RMZ. PictureIn the 6 inches of snow we got the bike was great. So far it has not snowed anymore. The screws you need you cannot get at the hardware store. Screws

You cannot run screws if there is bare ground or you rip them out. Soft compound tires (sand tires, 773) ushually do not hold screws for very long either. I ran one last year and I had to back them with screw to keep them from ripping out. I've got a dunlop 756 on my bike now and it seems to hook up really well. Go to a skiplace and get a double lensed google. Dicks sporting goods has scott ones for $20. Definately give riding in the snow a shot, or go find a frozen lake.

Nope, never ridden in the pittsfield state forest, but I would like to, it's kinda far away from me

But really want to ride it no matter what the conditions, even in the snow. One of my friends said it is a bad Idea,
Not necessarily,
and its hard on the engine,
Maybe a bit more than normal,
and I'll crack plastics
- No way! The OEM plastic these days is super flexy in cold temps. I tried to snap my rear fender off at -40 to use for a shovel. I folded it inside out for 10 minutes and couldn't get it to snap.
But anyway I've been out once and had the problem of fogging goggles and wheel slip like no other. I'm guessing that mud tires would be best, but I was wondering, if I was looking in a hardware store what would the screws be called that I would be putting in my tires. Or if you have a link that would also be great. Thanks a lot. Hey I dont have many riding buddies but Im from Pennsylvania so respond if you want to hook up some time and go riding.

Use the widest soft terrain tires that'll fit on the bike to give you good floatation in the snow. Paddle tires don't work for me but our snow is very dry. A paddle may work in wet heavy snow but you won't have any braking control. Sheet metal screw type studs work well on ice and very hard packed snow and are inexpensive but get dull fast. Carbide spikes work well on medium packed snow and last a long time but are expensive. Nothing works well in soft snow. Riding in soft snow is like water skiing. You've gotta keep your speed up to stay on top. My best advice is to buy a ski . There's always soft spots in the snow and you will always go over the bars when your front tire dives into one.

snow bike

no i've never ridden in pittsfield state forest before but I've ridden in wellsville ohio before I live near steelcity a local track is switch back. I was also wondering if there were light kits for a rmz 250 or street legal kits?

why? are you gonna start riding on the road.......JAMES? lol. why arent you posting in the RMZ-section at all? that would be the best place. c ya later tonight. 😢

forstbite....is that your overflow (radiator) contianer under your fender in that one picture? on the left side?

forstbite....is that your overflow (radiator) contianer under your fender in that one picture? on the left side?

Yes, stock item. It's got a few stud scratches in it but no holes yet and I have a spare.

Try getting some "turbo" goggles. They have a small fan in them with a battery pack on the goggle strap. I use mine year round, in the snow and rain it will prevent fogging. In the hot months it helps keep your face cool. They can be a little pricey but the can usually be found on E-Bay.

RIDE DEEP SNOE LIKE YOU WOULD IN SAND -AGGRESSIVE -KEEP FRONT WHEEL LIGHT

DOUBLE PANE GOGGLES FOR NO FOG AND FOR THE MOST FUN GET STUDDED TIRES. THEY ARE ABOUT A 150.00 A PIECE BUT YOU SHOULD GET ABOUT 2 SEASONS OUT OF THEM.AT LEAST BUY A REAR STUDDED TIRE AND USE 3/8 INCH SELF TAPPING SCREWS FOR THE FRONT TIRE . WILL NEED ABOUT 250 SCREWS. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME PUTTING SCREWS IN THE REAR TIRE . THEY WILL GET TORN OUT IN ABOUT 5MIN OF RIDING. TRY WINTERSTUDS.COM OR DO A SEARCH ONLINE TO GET THE BEST PRICE.

TRELLIBERGS STUDDED TIRES ARE TOO EXPENSIVE AND THE STUDS ARE TOO LONG IF YOUR RIDING OVER ROCKS. SOMETIMES SNOW WILL GET INTO YOUR AIRBOX AND WET THE AIR FILTER AND BIKE MAY RUN RICH OR FOUL PLUGS. TAPE HOLES ON SIDE NUMBER PLATES. MAKE SURE CARB. VENT HOSES DON'T BECOME CLOGGED WITH ICE. ALSO SOMETIMES RIDING IN VERY COLD WEATHER WILL NOT LET YOUR BIKE REACH NORMAL OP. TEMP CAUSING A PLUG TO FOUL (2 STROKE ONLY) . BLOCK MABY 1/2 OF ONE RADIATOR TO RAISE TEMP-BUT USE CAUTION NOT TO OVERHEAT. i LIVE IN NE.PA. AND RIND ALL WINTER LONG. LOVE IT!!!