Sign in to follow this  

Update on my injury 12/14/04

Hi everyone,

As some of you have already read, I compound fractured my tib/fib on November 14th and ended up with an external fixator brace, 4 screws holding my tib fragments together and a plate with 6 screws holding my fib together. Well, it is one month out now and they took x-rays of it this morning and so far, there is absolutely no growth tissue developing on the bone yet?

Should I be concerned? How long did it take some of you to see bone growth?

And now they are talking about doing this 3rd surgery and going in there and grafting bone and plating that last portion of bone that they could not fix before. Man, this is going to be a long process....

Please give me some feedback on how low it took for you all to start seeing bone growth.

Thanks 😢

Wow. Very sorry to hear that. I did a compound of my tib/fib when I was 19 years old. If I recall correctly, bone growth was dimly visible at 4 weeks, more definite at 6 weeks, pretty obvious at 8 weeks. Full leg cast for 14 weeks, then a half cast for 6 more. In the end, the doctor called it "exuberent bone growth" - huge knot of callous and new bone.

At 31, I broke my femur. Steel shaft down the middle to fix it, out of the cast in 1 week and into a brace, able to put some pressure on it a few weeks later, pretty rapid recovery.

At 43, I don't heal as well. See my "collarbone" post in this forum.

Good luck! If you don't trust your doctor(s), get another opinion. It is amazing how different doctors can view the same injury. The first two Drs I saw about my collarbone said "do nothing, it will heal". The 3rd doctor said "at your age and that far out towards the end of the bone where there is less blood flow and nutrients available, we should aggressively prepare the bone ends and plate it; unfortunately, you are 2 weeks into healing at this point and you may not want that kind of setback". I chose to just let it heal without the surgery. It did not heal. If I had seen Dr. #3 first, I would have gotten it fixed.

Here's a suggestion for all y'all: go to a younger doctor. 4-6 years out of school is optimal. The old guys, while experienced, are less aggressive and less up-to-date on the latest treatments. Many despise risk-taking activities. Most dislike motorcycles. Just my experience.

Bone growth is very slow, I exploded my femur once and was in the hospital in traction for about 2 months, and then in a cast for another 6 months. Even after the bone groth is there it is far from hard. It took the better part of a year. The bone is much larger now where the break was and prob would never break there agian. Trust me it is a long slow process for the bone growth then a long slow process for rehab to be strong enough to do anything. When the cast finally came off it looked like a flab of skin drooping on both sides of the now healed bone. Hang in there it will heal just can't be in a hurry to get back in the saddle. Eat lots of calcium and other vitamins and you will be fine.... 😢

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Yeh, I am taking calcium and vitamin supplements but so far it has not proven if it works or not. BUT, it cannot hurt, so I am still taking them!

And yes, etown, I am taking this time to endulge myself on daily rituals of strawberry milk and ice cream. (The only good part of this injury) I bet I am drinking at least a gallon of milk a week.

What are all of your opinions of caffeine intake? I am heavily dependant on it, but I have restricted it to one cup of coffee a day. But after the results of yesterdays x-rays, I wonder if it would be better to just cut it out altogether.

Your thoughts? 😢

Hang in there. I am 36 and shatterred my elbow riding in early August. Didn't see ANY signs of bone growth for 10 weeks. Surgeon was on the verge of trying grafting, chemicals, stimulation, etc. when miraculously the once "mushy" bones started to show growth, regeneration and healing after 10 weeks. I will never be 100% again but hope to be pretty darn close.

I attribute the healing to three things - 1. All my friends and family's prayers for healing. 2. Drinking way more water than normal. 3. Stopping caffeine cold turkey (I used to drink coffee all day and diet coke when not drinking coffee). I kept drinking caffeine up 'til about the 7th week.

Fyi,

Breaks are all different but serious one's like yours (and most of the breaks discussed on this forum) take more time than the "usual" 4-6 weeks required for a clean break to heal. Once again, hang in there and keep a positive outlook. Surgeon's are notorious for doom and gloom and predicting the worst possible outcomes. Anything could happen but often the patient greatly exceeds the surgeon's predictions for recovery.

Good luck and keep letting us know how things are going.

Gary - KC

I attribute the healing to three things - 1. All my friends and family's prayers for healing. 2. Drinking way more water than normal. 3. Stopping caffeine cold turkey (I used to drink coffee all day and diet coke when not drinking coffee). I kept drinking caffeine up 'til about the 7th week.

Fyi,

Breaks are all different but serious one's like yours (and most of the breaks discussed on this forum) take more time than the "usual" 4-6 weeks required for a clean break to heal. Once again, hang in there and keep a positive outlook. Surgeon's are notorious for doom and gloom and predicting the worst possible outcomes. Anything could happen but often the patient greatly exceeds the surgeon's predictions for recovery.

Good luck and keep letting us know how things are going.

Gary - KC

That sounds like quitting caffeine COULD HAVE contributed to your bones starting to heal. You and I share the same habit of drinking too much coffee and Diet Coke. So, as of today, I am done with caffeine until after my bones have healed. From now on, I will start to consume decaf when I want to drink coffee.

You are right with the surgeons predictions. When I was laying on the bed in the emergency room screaming in pain and bleeding EVERYWHERE, my surgeon came in and said that he will have to operate and I could lose my foot. That's when I REALLY lost it! 😢😢

He then realized what he said and reiterated by saying that if I want him to clean it up and just set the bones so I could get a second opinion the next day, then I could lose the foot because of infection and blood loss.

I have no idea why he said that because I just met him and I had no intentions of getting a second opinion! I told him to just get the leg open and FIX IT! 😢

I have found out since then that he is one of the better surgeons here in Kansas City, so there is no reason to get a second opinion! 😢

Unfortunately, I just saw him for the last time because he is retiring after the 1st of the year. But, his colleague has been involved with the decision making process from day 1, so he knows what's going on and the transition to the new doctor should be seemless! 😢

I've broken my legs 3 times!!! 1st time left tib-spiral fracture=cast for 7 months!! 2nd time rebroke left tib & fib=Ti rod in tib nothing done to fib=walking in 2 weeks!!! 3rd time right ankle tib & fib=Ti rod in tib nothing done to fib= 6-8 non-weight baring do to ankle or else would've been walking in 2 weeks!!

I'll be 40 this year, everyone heals differently and at their own time!

Drinking milk won't help & taken calcium won't help either! Your body can only absorb so much and you'll get enough from the foods you eat!

****And yes you can take too much calcium! 😢

That sounds like quitting caffeine COULD HAVE contributed to your bones starting to heal. You and I share the same habit of drinking too much coffee and Diet Coke. So, as of today, I am done with caffeine until after my bones have healed. From now on, I will start to consume decaf when I want to drink coffee.

You are right with the surgeons predictions. When I was laying on the bed in the emergency room screaming in pain and bleeding EVERYWHERE, my surgeon came in and said that he will have to operate and I could lose my foot. That's when I REALLY lost it! 😢😢

He then realized what he said and reiterated by saying that if I want him to clean it up and just set the bones so I could get a second opinion the next day, then I could lose the foot because of infection and blood loss.

I have no idea why he said that because I just met him and I had no intentions of getting a second opinion! I told him to just get the leg open and FIX IT! 😢

I have found out since then that he is one of the better surgeons here in Kansas City, so there is no reason to get a second opinion! 😢

Unfortunately, I just saw him for the last time because he is retiring after the 1st of the year. But, his colleague has been involved with the decision making process from day 1, so he knows what's going on and the transition to the new doctor should be seemless! 😢

Who is your surgeon? My surgeon is Dr. Roger Hood based out of Overland Park Regional.

I've heard he's one of the best around and made sure I personally thanked him for putting me back together last time I saw him and got the good report.

Much like your experience, I was told the worst case scenario of losing my arm if my arm didn't respond to various treatment after a year or so had gone by. I didn't expect that to happen but nevertheless was worried that it was even a remote possibility.

I too asked about taking calcium, glucosamine, chondroiton, etc. and was told to just eat a healthy diet. Too much calcium and I would also be dealing with kidney stones.

I listened to this advice and relied on calcium and vitamin D infused orange juice to drink and made sure I took in plenty of foods rich in natural calcium.

Good luck again in your recovery.

Gary - Olathe - KC

My surgeon is Dr. Erik Nye based out of Shawnee Mission Med. But like I said, he is retiring after the 1st of the year, so my new doctor is Dr. Sharpe. I see him on the 3rd of January to talk about this bone graft and the final plate installation.

James-Spring Hill

Where do you usually ride and where did you get in your accident?

I used to ride and race MX years ago. I gave up bikes about the time I got married in '97 but decided to get another one last summer. Unfortunately, I shattered my elbow on my third time out riding my new '04 RM250. I felt just as bad about not being able to enjoy my new "toy" as being injured.

I usually prefer riding moto but the day of my accident I decided to stray off the moto course and take a trail ride at the Merwin, MO riding area.

Ironically, I crashed into a young rider on a DRZ400 riding the opposite way on the trail. Crash should have never happened. I saw him coming in enough time and tried to avoid him by going to the right of the trail we were using, he went to his LEFT for some reason (never found out if he lost control or what). By then the crash couldn't be avoided. I instinctively layed my bike down instead of hitting head on and my left elbow took the full impact of the collision and hit into his headlight breaking it. Other than the broken headlight on the other rider's bike, everything else was perfect ... almost without a scratch. I knew something was really wrong with my elbow but had no idea it was as serious as it turned out to be until I arrived at the emergency room. The trauma ER at Overland Park regional said it was the worst elbow injury they've ever seen and took me ahead of the packed waiting room to prep for surgery.

Anyway, everything is looking better now and I have hopes of being able to ride again in the future. (this time being really careful).

Gary

Where do you usually ride and where did you get in your accident?

I used to ride and race MX years ago. I gave up bikes about the time I got married in '97 but decided to get another one last summer. Unfortunately, I shattered my elbow on my third time out riding my new '04 RM250. I felt just as bad about not being able to enjoy my new "toy" as being injured.

I usually prefer riding moto but the day of my accident I decided to stray off the moto course and take a trail ride at the Merwin, MO riding area.

Ironically, I crashed into a young rider on a DRZ400 riding the opposite way on the trail. Crash should have never happened. I saw him coming in enough time and tried to avoid him by going to the right of the trail we were using, he went to his LEFT for some reason (never found out if he lost control or what). By then the crash couldn't be avoided. I instinctively layed my bike down instead of hitting head on and my left elbow took the full impact of the collision and hit into his headlight breaking it. Other than the broken headlight on the other rider's bike, everything else was perfect ... almost without a scratch. I knew something was really wrong with my elbow but had no idea it was as serious as it turned out to be until I arrived at the emergency room. The trauma ER at Overland Park regional said it was the worst elbow injury they've ever seen and took me ahead of the packed waiting room to prep for surgery.

Anyway, everything is looking better now and I have hopes of being able to ride again in the future. (this time being really careful).

Gary

I usually also ride at Merwin but I was at Kingsville when it happened. I came up short and sideways on a double and my foot hit the ground and then it was all she wrote after that....