Sign in to follow this  

What was the single most memorable racing moment of 2004?

I think the young man who lost his life in Supercross last year was the most memorable to me. Jason Ciarletta (can't remember the last name but it was something like that), #412 who was only 19 and was the first person to die in AMA Supercross.

I think the young man who lost his life in Supercross last year was the most memorable to me. Jason Ciarletta (can't remember the last name but it was something like that), #412 who was only 19 and was the first person to die in AMA Supercross.

very true 😢

MXJunkys favorite race action this year was Kevin Windham and Travis Pastrana battling in a heat race. On the actual poll, MXJunky voted for RCs perfect season end at Glen Helen (MXJunky was there).

MXJunkys favorite race action this year was Kevin Windham and Travis Pastrana battling in a heat race. On the actual poll, MXJunky voted for RCs perfect season end at Glen Helen (MXJunky was there).

I have to agree.... the nac nacs were memorable....as dumb as it sounds, thats the first thing I though of when I thought about last years racing....A lot of people dis Travis, but he's got star power.

Geoff Aaron winning a record 8th national trials championship and Ricky's 2nd undefeated season.

oh yeah... thats right. the most memorable definately had to be Valentino. flat out... he's the best thing going for motorcycling nowadays. ya'll might be "dirt buffs" and not know who he is, but he is THE MAN.

i know you dont see any AMA races planned and hotels booked a year in advance for any of those events. but when MotoGP comes to Laguna Seca next year... ITS GONNA BE CRAZY! i cant wait to go.

bubba stewart, ricky carmichael... who are they? 😢

agreed... Rossi winning on the Yamaha in the first race of the year... wow! Some of us road race too, so i follow both. Thank goodness for Tivo!!

oh yeah... thats right. the most memorable definately had to be Valentino. flat out... he's the best thing going for motorcycling nowadays. ya'll might be "dirt buffs" and not know who he is, but he is THE MAN.

i know you dont see any AMA races planned and hotels booked a year in advance for any of those events. but when MotoGP comes to Laguna Seca next year... ITS GONNA BE CRAZY! i cant wait to go.

bubba stewart, ricky carmichael... who are they? 😢

YOU ARE RIGHT! Even I was skepticle when he came off a dominant season on the Honda RC211V and jumped ship to Yamaha. I thought there was no way he would win but he proved even me wrong. He is living proof that he is hands down one of the best riders IN THE WORLD!

Probably THE BEST! 😢

MotoGP is the premier form of motorcycle racing in the world, and Valantino surely is the man. MXJunky liked him better on the RC211, but MXJunky just has a soft spot for Honda.

His pass on Gibernau at Lukey Heights was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a motorcycle. I don't know how he made it stick 😢

His pass on Gibernau at Lukey Heights was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a motorcycle. I don't know how he made it stick 😢

How about the last lap at Phillip Island?? A race he didn't need to win for the championship, but made the pass anyhow 😢

How about the last lap at Phillip Island?? A race he didn't need to win for the championship, but made the pass anyhow 😢

That would be lukey heights

rc's perfect season by far

also mc winning an xgames gold medal is cool, but lets face it, its nothing compared to his SX dominance of the 90s...

Boy I don't get the Rossi thing. I love watching him ride and he is definately the best. But just winning one race that had no real meaning other than to prove he's fast on any bike, is more impressive then Ricky winning one race that capped a SECOND perfect season? Twice he's won all 24 motos in a year, something no one has ever done in motocross. Rossi is great but his race, while cool, wasn't even close to Ricky's race.

Tie for most memorable would be watching my 9 yo daughter clear the double in her 6th race ever on her KX60 (thanks to her big bro coaching her on the way to the race) and seeing my 12 yo son win his class (80 Beginner) by riding very very smoothly.

Seeing my little girl cartwheel the bike by overshooting a table top & hitting a braking bump would be second and most traumatic. 😢 Fortunately, she was fine except for a black eye and she even wants to race still.

Third would be seeing her on her 60 catch a gal on her 125 on each lap, she looked like a little bee that just wouldn't leave the bigger bike alone.

😢

Watching RC in Washougal was pretty good too - at least he was on a bike that could last through all his moto's then!!! 😢

ugh... its not just bout one race. if i recall right, he won 9 of the 16 races this year, and still won the title despite two DNF's. youre comparing one of Rossi's races against RC's season. take it season against season then. what RC did is indeed phenomenal, but the competition must not be all that hard if he was able to win the last 48 moto's he's been in. granted, he's a great rider but im not nearly as impressed by that as what the italian did. being on a Honda one year and a Yamaha the next and still winning says a lot! being in complete sync with a 200 mph rocket takes a lot more getting used to than a mere 450 cc thumper. sorry, but Valentino definately takes it this time.

did i mention that he drove a Formula One car on a track he'd never been on before and came within 3 seconds of a Michael Shumacher record lap time? pretty impressive if you ask me.

Boy I don't get the Rossi thing. I love watching him ride and he is definately the best. But just winning one race that had no real meaning other than to prove he's fast on any bike, is more impressive then Ricky winning one race that capped a SECOND perfect season? Twice he's won all 24 motos in a year, something no one has ever done in motocross. Rossi is great but his race, while cool, wasn't even close to Ricky's race.

rossi is a great rider indeed, but i think motocross might be a little more physically demanding then motogp, and rider injuries are more common, 2 perfect seasons wont be matched for awhile, if ever in mx.