Sign in to follow this  

Weight loss with knee injury

I am currently 270 lbs due to a back injury which limited my physical activity and then when I got my new bike last Dec I ate s@#* off of a 60 ft table top trying to cleat the railroad tracks and tore some meniscus in my knee. The knee feels cool now but i am truing to get back down to my normal weight of 215. I went to the gym for the first time yesterday and tried the treadmill out and it hurt my knee so I went to the bike and it was ok but I want something to get my cardio up and the mill is way better than the bike is there anything else I can do? Also I kneed a plan to stick to drop the weight and make my cardio go way up. I was thinking about Juice (steroids one cycle) since i have heard they make you burn fat like crazy. What diet should I use and what exercises.

you might want to try an elliptical trainer. I have one and love it. I have a ruptured ACL and this work out does not cause me any pain. The treadmill did, due to higher impact. Ellipticals are a good workout with less impact.

With that stated, I had my meniscus removed in 2000. Many years of abuse and I got the point where I could not bend at the knees any longer. The meniscus injury was actually more painful than the ACL. Didn't have the elliptical in 2000 so I am not sure how it will effect you. Give it a try.

MIR

I am currently 270 lbs due to a back injury which limited my physical activity and then when I got my new bike last Dec I ate s@#* off of a 60 ft table top trying to cleat the railroad tracks and tore some meniscus in my knee. The knee feels cool now but i am truing to get back down to my normal weight of 215. I went to the gym for the first time yesterday and tried the treadmill out and it hurt my knee so I went to the bike and it was ok but I want something to get my cardio up and the mill is way better than the bike is there anything else I can do? Also I kneed a plan to stick to drop the weight and make my cardio go way up. I was thinking about Juice (steroids one cycle) since i have heard they make you burn fat like crazy. What diet should I use and what exercises.

How tall are you? 5ft 11in and 270 is much differnet than 6'6" and 270. I only ask to try to determine if some of your knee discomfort, post injury, is weight related, a re-injury or simply not healed yet.

When it comes to aerobic conditioning (aka "cardio") one piece of equipment is no better or worse than another. Some folks hate sitting on a bike some folks hate walking on a tredmill. I encourage my coaching clients (especially ones recovering from injury) to find the method that provides the most support and least stress to the injury area. The only goal of aerobic work is to condition your aerobic systems. This has the added benefit of increasing your "engine idle speed" if you will, and hence weight loss follows. It's important to remember, however, that you can only loss weight by creating a caloric deficit. Less food in + More exercise creates this caloric deficit and you lose weight.

Are you under a doctors care for your knee injury? If you are, has he released you to physical therapy?

In general, a stationary bike is easier on a damaged knee by far. I would suggest using one. If you can't get your HR up (i.e. can't break a sweat) then lessen the resistence and increase your pedaling cadence. I would target 90 RPM or better.

I'd be interested in hearing about how it works out for you.

As stated above, reducing the impact will reduce the discomfort and as long as you are getting your heart rate up it doesn't matter much what type of cardio training you do. If riding a bike hurts less than a treadmill, stay off the treadmill. Eliptical trainers and swimming may be easier on your knee too.

I wrecked my knee a while ago and couldn't jog on the treadmill either - too much pain. Recently though, I got an elliptical trainer (like Mike in Roseville) and can use that thing everyday with NO pain at all. I also use a Polar heart rate moniter to be sure I'm getting a good work out. Ellipticals and Heart Rate Moniters are great!

I have injured my left knee twice in the last 3 years riding. 😢 The last injury was a torn hamstring, hyperextended knee, torn calf muscle and sprained ankle from a BAD dismount during a race.

I personally don't like the elliptical. It just feels unnatural to me. I have used both swimming and stationary bikes for rehab. I am actually in the process of rehab right now. I start with the bike and then, when the knee permits, start out walking on the treadmill and then run when I feel strong enough. If you want more resistance, just raise the elevation. I would also recommend light weight work to rebuild the damaged muscles.

Luckily I have not required surgery in either case. Just LOTS of time to heal and rebuild. Good luck!

Oh, almost forgot. NO JUICE!!!!!! 😢