Sign in to follow this  

Ping Pong balls instead of MX Bonz???

I just read the other post about the hose vents by 125shifter and was thinking couldnt you just use a ping pong ball instead of the MX Bonz balls? I mean they both are white and float. Why not and has anyone tried it?

I'd test it out in a cup or somthing first. I remember hearing about getting revenge by putting a ping pong ball in someone's gas tank you don't like because it takes some time for them to melt and gum up the fuel system.

that would be bad if they melted or something, that could really mess up the bike and rider. I didnt think of that.

Been using a ping pong ball in two of my bikes for the last 4 years now. No problems. RR.

The joke with the ping pong balls is that when the tank gets low, the fuel pump gets ahold of the ball and it cuts off the fuel supply. When the motor stops or the fuel pump stops, the ball floats. Car starts, and you will be mystified as to why you have an intermitent stall.

Oh, well i dont try to run the perfect amount of gas in my bike when i race anyways, i would rather finish than walk over the finish line.

On a technical level, why doesn't this happen with the Bonz balls?

I think the Ping Pong ball is a great idea (if they don't melt as said before!)

Maybe by using two they don't get stuck on the pick up?

Mark

I don't want to seem like a smartass (which I am) but if it's so dark or your eyesight is so bad you can't tell how much gas is in the tank, maybe you shouldn't be riding anymore that particular day.

I dont really understand the use of these balls in the first place. I always have a full tank of fuel everytime I go out, just a piece of mind thing I guess. Dont want to run out of gas coming up the face of a huge double....BAD!!!

yea it would derinately just cut off the fuel supply instantly. you might stall immediately and be screwed. but then again you might just bog down and come to a stop. anyways, whats the point of putting them in there? just to see how much fuel you have? i say dont worry about it. its not hard to know the difference between a full tank and a close-to-empty one. thats my 2 cents.

I dont really understand the use of these balls in the first place. I always have a full tank of fuel everytime I go out, just a piece of mind thing I guess. Dont want to run out of gas coming up the face of a huge double....BAD!!!

If you're riding MX then you've also got 7 extra lbs every time you go out too!

If 7 lbs is that much of a concern, I hope you only race on paved tracks. Look at the mud build-up after even a lightly watered track after practice. Think that mud's weightless? I get a kick out of people who go to the line with half a tank, thinking they're really putting one over on the rest of the field, then they run at the back of the pack after about 3 laps.

The joke with the ping pong balls is that when the tank gets low, the fuel pump gets ahold of the ball and it cuts off the fuel supply. When the motor stops or the fuel pump stops, the ball floats. Car starts, and you will be mystified as to why you have an intermitent stall.

When iwas 15 i bought an old 55 chevy and that darn thing would keep dieing after about 1/4 tank. When i droped the tank it had over 100 of those little pills you would put in your tank to rebuild your motor,HAHAHA.:confused:

I just read the other post about the hose vents by 125shifter...

Do you mean my reply to the fellas post in the General forum about vent hoses and pinching them? I don't use any balls other than a little when I ride. :confused:

He was talking auto fuel tanks. A CRF doesn't have a fuel pump, it's all gravity feed, so a ping pong ball wouldn't get sucked into place.