Sign in to follow this  

Keep my 250 or Upgrade to 400....

What should I do.....

Do I do the 300 kit and send the suspension to WER or.......

Do I get a 400 and d0 the 440 kit ( eventually).....and send the Suspension to WER

Has any one upgraded to the 400 and been sorry ...... felt the bike was too heavy?

I am 190lbs and just under 6'1".... I am currently riding a 280 with gordon mods....

Help Guys!!!!!

I think it has a lot to do with what kind of riding you do. If you are a tree dodger, keep the 280. If you do more open desert type riding, get a 400. Regardless, you should work on that suspension. It will make your bike much better. At least re-spring it for your weight.

I went from a 250 to a 400 without any regrets but I do more of the desert type of riding that woods. I don't think we have any trees out here in Cali.

If you are gonna go...go big...650R

From what I understand the 400 is not all that light, and a little underpowered.

I'm shorter than you, and 30 lbs. lighter and still manage to lug around an XRL.

Al

What about your 280 are you not satisfied with? I see you have a cr250 so that should satisfy all your craving for power........

I had a '95 250L a while back that was stock save for a Supertrapp. It was great fun, but I wanted more power, so I got a CR250. That was great, but I tired of the premix. Then came the XR600. It has heaps of torque, but less power and more weight than the CR. I miss the lightweight and nimble CR now, but I'm keeping the XR.

My point is unless you dont know someone with a 400 you can try or arent positive the 250 is holding you back, you wont know unless you ditch what you have. At this point I would trade power for handling since I know I can ride fast on a warmed-over 250.

just get another 400

😢

Agree. If you can swing it.

Then decide between the two and sell the other one. You wouldn't lose much if you decided to re-sell the 400.

Thanks for the reply’s guys...

I bought the CR just to see how the other half lives.... I do love the power..

and the suspension...After riding that for a day I hopped on my buddy's XR280 ( Basically decked out the same as my280) And I thought wow what a pig...

The CR as all of you know is a different kind of ride,, I have it piped low, I am using a FMF Gnarly and a 12.oz flywheel weight... She is great fun... I took her on some mild trail riding last time out and it took me 2 hours to foul the plug.. I am getting better.. If I had the dough, I could have a garage like Jay Leno....I guess I am kind of a tree dodger especially with all of the Michigan trips....I love Dual sporting....That’s what prompted me to look at the 650R...

There are also some neat Supermoto conversions for the 650R.

I guess I am looking for my Standard Hill Climber..Dual sport... If they are the same bike.

I am in the Midwest...We ride in places on a regular basis where the 280 excels... it just feels like such a smallish bike... I guess that could be good.... right? That’s why my question on the 300 kit.

Just an FYI the CR is only a toy.... I don’t have any serious aspirations for this bike filling any off road need other than I just wanted one....

I am looking for a bike to Be a capable Dual Sporter ( all around)..

I guess if I get a 650R I would keep the 280...

I am looking for a bike that is steetable too. I dont ride enough as it is ,,, and being able to hop on a bike and take a ride on a nice weekend morning is also something I am looking for....

I can kinda do that on the 280 but ...on the road I feel like a 300.lb on a Harley 883....

Thanks for listening....

Jason

The 400 is a fabulous bike and is supurb for hill country. Just off idle, the torque of my 400 will tractor me up any hill. With suspension respringing, the bike feels like it has lost 30 pounts. With revalving, the suspension becomes it's best asset. With a pumper carb, you get more power and better off-idle manners. If you have not done Gordon's mods, you have not ridden an xr400, IMHO.

The xr400 has alot more power than the xr250, and it is heavier and a little taller. They are just different.

I've had both at once the XR650R and the XR440R and I sold the one I felt was being used less,The 650 is heavy and has radiators to crush.In the tight stuff the 650 will kill ya compaired to the 440.The smaller bike is so much more managable,and with the 440 kit it is not underpowered anymore yet still air cooled.The 440 makes for a fun,bulletproof trail bike.

I went from a 250 to a 400 and kind wished I had went with the 650 just because I would like to ride alot more road. but you can gear the 400 to do ok on the road.