Sign in to follow this  

Steering damper ?'s

ive finally had it 😢

I'm getting myself a steering damper!!!

with x-mas around the corner i need to get myself something and i think this is the best innvestment i could make.

I am thinking of going with the scotts damper and want to get the under the bar mount but is it really worth it compared to the over the bar mount?

I ALLWAYS ride with a chest plate so i'm not worried about hitting it but i like it that it lifts the bars a little.

Should i be checking out other companies? price wise how do they compare? maintanence? customer service? reliiablity? durablity?

😢

The only hangup is that my bike is a 91 XR600r so i dont knnow if every company makes a damper for my pig!

Any info truly appreciated

Miguel

The Scotts is worth every penny. I am very happy with the top mount. There are cheaper units if price is an issue. Quality and performance on the Scotts is top notch! 😢 First Mod I do on any bike. 😢

I am getting more and more sure that i will go with the scotts damper.

Cheaper options? I can get the scotts for just under 400, havent seen any much cheaper than that.

One more question-

weld on versus bolt on?

adavantages disadvantages?

Thanks again

Miguel

Unless you are racing alot... you certainly do not need to spend the extra on the Scotts. GPR will works well and it is cheap and the rebuilds are free.

say to yourself... Two...point...O.

Hoss

I, like others, attest to the performance of the Scotts setup. I've got the forward mount setup on my 650R with their upper clamp and pro tapers (hi-rise CR setup), and all I can say is that when you ride another bike afterward without one, you're gonna be crying REAL BAD! I wouldn't be too concerned about hitting the unit with a chest protector. I would definitely, however, recommend bolt on. Even though everything welded usually is stronger, you can always have the peace of mind in knowing it will come off a WHOLE lot easier if needed. Get on the page http://www.scottsonline.com/indexmain.html and check out the setups they have to offer for your bike.

Unless you are racing alot... you certainly do not need to spend the extra on the Scotts. GPR will works well and it is cheap and the rebuilds are free.

say to yourself... Two...point...O.

Hoss

GPR used to be cheap.

Their site is showing $525 or $575 for my bike, vs. $399 for the Scotts, vs. $319 for the W.E.R.

Anyone have any experience with the W.E.R. unit?

I finally rode with a steering damper for the first time last Saturday. It makes a HUGE difference, surpised me a little. I have the RTT Stabilizer. I haven't used any other so I can't comment on Scott's or GPR. The really nice thing about the RTT is that there is a thumb lever right next to the grip on the left side. Pushing the lever all the way forward gives you 0% damping, the lever halfway gives you 50%, and the lever all the way toward you is 100%. You can adjust the dampening from 1 to 7 on the stabilizer itself. The remote lever made it nice...I could turn it off when going real slow through technical spots, then I could turn it up for high speed washes and whoops. I hit one large rock in particular that would have put me down for sure. Instead of going down I ended up with a ding in my front rim from the impact.

If service, reliability and maintainence are an issue, I'd suggest GPR. The version 2.0 becomes the bar perch and fits UNDER the bars. They have lifetime free service on the unit and are great guys. You can't go wrong with that.

Some of the guys I've ridden with had WER dampers . when they went to get them rebuilt, Drew Smith blew some smoke on them ( their words) about not being able to rebuild them and they had to get new units entirely. Althought they said they liked the WER performance, they both went with new Scotts units and as far as i know they are happy with the performance. I seem to remember a thread a while back about unrebuildable WER dampers... Might do a search... anyway good luck!

I'm Gonna Have To Go With The Scotts Damper As Gpr Does Not Even Make One For My Ancient Bike(s$%t, Its Only A 1991 And The Newest Bike I've Ever Had!)

Yeah I'm Kinda Just Getting Into Racing But Also Do A Lot Of Long Range Rides. I'm Gonna Go With The Bolt On Just In Case I Marry A Rich Woman In The Next Coupla Years And She'll Buy Me New Bike!!

Thanks For All The Insight

Miguel

Cu In The Dez

If you are a desert racer, then the GPR is probably the way to go. the provide great rider support and make a great product. I had a GPR on my DRZ and it worked great.

however, for woods riding I would go with the scotts or possibly the WER. The problem with the GPR in the woods is it is not "free to center", so it makes tight, slow riding a little tougher. Also, be default the GPR is pretty stiff even on it's lowest setting, again fine for the dez but not so good for the woods.

I run the WER on my DRZ and on my KTM 200. I really like them. I'm probably due for a rebuild on the one on the DRZ since I've had it for a couple of years, but with semi-annual fluid changes it still works just fine with no leaks and no wobbly/loose linkage. I did up the oil from 5w to 7.5wt on the DRZ for stiffer initial resistance to big hits from rocks. Of the two bikes, It made more of a difference on the little 200 than it did on the heavier (less prone to headshake or twitchiness) DRZ. My KTM was pretty nervous tapped out in 5th & 6th until I installed the damper.

One of the nicest things about dampers is the ability to ride cross-rut, just pick the best line and go. 😢

Because lots of east coast riders run the WER, I think it is safe to say that it is preferred by many top riders for tight woods riding. I ride tight woods almost exclusively - except when Brandon drags me over to 509 land and makes me eat dust on the open stuff - so the WER is a good choice for me, one I do not regret. 😢

The Scotts' set up is all I've ever used on my Hondas. Seems like you don't change, if that's what you started with. I had the weld on with my old 600 and it was great. My 650 has the bolt on mount and it has never loosened up or given any problems. If the 600 bolt on is just like the 650 version, then use it. If it's just a collar around the stem, avoid it. The type that attaches around the stem loosen up easily and you'll end up having to weld it anyways. The wife has one on her KLX and it was a pain untill we had it welded. Precision Concepts did my 600 and they used the weld on, so that's probably the way to go. I thought they would know best. Remember not to over tighten it , one turn off full hard is a good setting overall.If you get into some straight twitchy stuff, then you can tighten down a little more. Just don't try to blow into a tight turn with the damping too tight.Keep in mind most all my riding is in the desert. 😢

I got the Scott's steering dampener with the Pro tapers and upper clam for just a tad over $550.

I ride an 04 WR450 and like some said above, I will also never ride another dirt bike with out one. The clamp around the neck fits fairly well right out of the box for my bike. They do say some need a bit more adjustments made to fit snug but it's just grinding down some welds so everything sits flat.

I wouldn't ride without one! worth every penny.

I have used the Scotts Damper on at least five different bikes, that is more than a five year period. The only maimtenance needed was oil changes, which can be done with a few hand tools and a Scotts seal guide tool which cost about $6.00.

Scotts does not have the under bar mounts ready. BRP says there undermount will be ready by January for $200.

Scotts does not have the under bar mounts ready

they do have them for KTM and Honda, look like this

scotts sub-mount photo on ktm

I am looking to buy the scotts (for my ktm), but haven't decided yet on the sub-mount or not. Not sure if I want my bars raised any, which the sub-mount raises by 25mm

I have the WER on my CRF. Works real well for tight woods / log riding.

Mounts on front fender. Bolts to frame.

Product works much better than the web site would indicate.