lots o Questions

Well, I'm thinking about starting to race and ride tracks. i currently have an 02wr and have a few questions.

1) I'm thinking of putting a new Clark 2.1 gal stock tank and sdg seat to help with the ergos. my question is, how far can i go on 2.1 gallon of gas. The reason i ask is because I'm lazy, and i dint think i want to switch back and forth between that tank and my stock one. I currently ride with a guy with a banshee and i never have to worry about fuel. He always runs out before me. and i would like to keep it that way. another thing is that I'm thinking of getting the sdg tall seat, because my a$$ hurts after a long day of riding. so, since i need a new seat for the tank, i was going to get that one. and i dint want to have to put my stock tank and seat on when trail riding, because that is the hole point of me getting the tall seat.

2)Suspension. I'm 6ft and 190lbs with out gear. so i know it needs stiffened up a bit. i will admit, I'm to cheep to send it out and get it redone. but I'm not really sure were to start with the clickers and how much extra oil and such should be added or taken out. Also, what type of oil can i use in the suspension, will just any suspension oil work. and what weight should i use. My shop uses the yamaha stough and its expensive, so i dint know if i have to use that stough or not. , one more thing about suspension. Ive now went 3 or 4 fork seals. i have seal savers and i also made something for my front end when in transit. my question is how difficult is it to change the fork seals my self. Are there any special tools required? I think i should be able to do it, but for some reason suspension in general just scares me. it took till this summer for me to set the sag. just as an example of how much suspension scares me.

3)Up grades. after i get into mx more and i get better at mx, I'm going to want to do some basic upgrade. like JD Jet kit, YZ timing, and exhaust. I was just wondering what was everybody's feelings about HMF. there slip on seems to have significant gains, at least according to them, while being relatively cheep, and having an option for a spark arestor and quiet core. but like i said, this is just for if i really start getting into mx and racing.

Thank you all in advance and sorry about the lengthy post.

Hey fellow Ohio rider!

You're not going to like my answer. But here it is. Get the suspension redone! I know it's expensive, no doubt about it. MX-Tech does excellent work at reasonable prices, highly recommend them. No amount of clicker/oil adjustments will make your bike race worthy at your weight. You are way too heavy for the springs for one, and the valving is designed for off-road, not MX. These two combined will cause you to bottom often and will throw off the chassis geometry in turns in a major way. Not only will this make you slower, but it could be dangerous.

As far as the seat, I've never tried the SDG, but heard from several folks they are very hard. Iron Pony in Columbus has them in stock...I thought they looked like good quality, but there was practically no "give" to the foam. In other words, don't waste your money. I recommend going to gutsracing.com and ordering seat foam. Not only will you save about $40, but you're butt will be much, much happier. I'm on my third Guts foam (soft style) over the years and have cured monkey butt for good.

As for power, cam, pipe, jetting...all good moves after ALL the free mods. However suspension and proper (new) tires will put the power to the ground and let you have confidence to attack, not just navigate the track.

If you're around Columbus, shoot me a pm and I'll let you sit on my '05 YZ250f with guts foam. Try before you buy if you will...

The truth is a professionally setup suspension will allow you to traverse any terrain with more confidence as the bike will float over obstacles that normally would slow you down. Engine mods (except for the free mods, these are required!) should be \secondary.

Oops, in regards to the seat, I forgot about the WR seat shape is different from the YZ. On my '00 WR400, I bouhgt an IMS YZ seat base and the Guts foam. Obviously the YZ seat foam will not fit on the WR. If IMS does not sell them, you can get a YZ seat base from yamaha. I imagine the costs isn't more than $50, but I never priced them so who knows...

As far tank...see if you can pick up a used YZ tank. I got one for $90 if I recall back in '00 and it was in almost new condition. Otherwise the clarke is a good choice, although do check out the Acerbis unit too.

i currently have an 02wr and have a few questions.

i have an '01 WRF, which for all intents and purposes is the same as your bike. everything i'm about to tell you applies 100% to your bike.

1) I'm thinking of putting a new Clark 2.1 gal stock tank and sdg seat to help with the ergos.

i made this exact change to my WRF. the improvement is dramatic, and well worth it. you will no longer feel like you are sitting on a barrel. but keep reading regarding the SDG seat...

how far can i go on 2.1 gallon of gas.

the clarke YZF-style tank for the '01/'02 bikes carries 2.3 gallons. you will get about 30MPG on the trails at a moderate pace. so figure you can go at least 60 miles. i have gone 67 miles and there were a few pints sloshing around afterwards. note that due to the design of the WRF petcock, when you use it with the smaller capacity tank you will observe that you have to switch to reserve earlier than with the OEM WRF tank. don't panic when this happens, as there is quite a bit of fuel left.

another thing is that I'm thinking of getting the sdg tall seat, because my a$$ hurts after a long day of riding.

ok, here's where my experience is going to pay off for you. do not get the SDG seat. there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it; however, it is suited for 30 minute MX motos and not for day long trail rides.

here is a picture of the YZF-style clarke 2.3 gal tank and the SDG seat on my WRF (taken in 2002):

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/29jul2002-sixdays/DSC00154_sm.jpg

the SDG seat is ok for a few hours riding, tops. i found this out the hard way during a six days ride. you can't know what my a$$ felt like on day six. (aside: everyone who writes below is going to say "you should stand up all the time, dummy". ok, go ahead and try standing on the pegs for six days straight and 700 miles of varying terrain -- let me know how it works out.)

i abandoned the SDG afterwards, and my search for a new seat ended at GUTS racing. i had them make me up a seat with their "wide enduro" foam and a gripper cover. they do this for free, just send them your YZF-style seatbase and they'll do the rest. the "wide enduro" foam is absolutely heaven; it doesn't compress too much and provides more and better support.

here are some comparison pictures:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/wr-seat/

here is a short story related to the above pics:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93615

see also:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90720

here's my bike with the YZF-style clarke 2.3 gal tank and the GUTS seat on my WRF (taken in 2003):

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/04aug2003-sixdays/pics-2/IMG_0099_sm.jpg

and taken in 2004:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1140_sm.jpg

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1248_sm.jpg

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1342_sm.jpg

2)Suspension. i will admit, I'm to cheep to send it out and get it redone. but I'm not really sure were to start with the clickers and how much extra oil and such should be added or taken out.

ok, DIY is fine for now -- and, the stock yamaha suspension is one of the finest on any bike, so it's a great starting place. ask your questions over in the TT suspension forum, and provide as much info as you can on the terrain and your ability, in addition to your weight. don't be afraid to experiment with the clickers and oil height. you can't screw it up, you'll just improve it.

Ive now went 3 or 4 fork seals. i have seal savers and i also made something for my front end when in transit. my question is how difficult is it to change the fork seals my self. Are there any special tools required?

there is a detailed fork seal "howto" in the 250F; it includes the process and what tools are needed. with the howto and your manual you can change your seals (and fork oil at the same time). that said, if your seals are leaking it's likely that there is dirt up underneath the wiper. this can usually be resolved without disassembling the forks.

3)Up grades. I'm going to want to do some basic upgrade. like JD Jet kit, YZ timing, and exhaust.

fix up your suspension first; if your suspension works you can go fast no matter what motor is under you.

i would strongly suggest the JD jet kit and the '03 YZF cam. these are "must-do" upgrades for the '01 and '02 WRF's.

regarding the exhaust... here's where it gets a bit complicated. the stock WRF pipe is heavy and very restrictive with the plug in. unplugged it is pretty loud. but it does have a spark arrestor.

if you don't need a spark arrestor, and a little noise is OK, pick up a used '01 or '02 YZF pipe. they are dirt cheap and provide great performance.

if you do need a spark arrestor and need to meet 96dB or 94dB limits (e.g. for competition off road racing or national/state parks) then get an FMF Q. my experience is that the FMF Q provides the best balance between performance and noise level. that's the pipe you see in this pic from above:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1342_sm.jpg

Thank you all in advance and sorry about the lengthy post.

good, well thought out questions deserve good responses.

regards,

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

The only thing I think needs to be added is the importance of getting heavy enough springs for your weight. Since you're going to try to use the suspension otherwise more or less stock, this is one of the best things you can do for it, and a fairly simple matter to do yourself. The bikes, at least the YZFs, are usually built for a rider about 20-30 pounds lighter than you and I, and if you leave the stock springs in place, you'll be asking the compression damping to do some of the work the springs should be doing, and you won't be able to get as good a result as you will with the right ones.

?

my experience is that the FMF Q provides the best balance between performance and noise level.
How would this pipe compare to the stock '05 Al pipe (uncorked)?

rich,

sorry but can't help out there. i have not even seen the '05 WRF's new aluminum pipe. what does yours look like, how's it sound, does it have a spark arrestor, and so on?

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

what does yours look like, how's it sound, does it have a spark arrestor, and so on?

It's got a screen behind the buttplug. Right now it sounds really nice and quiet, but it's still restricted.

Best way I can describe the appearance is to refer you to Q-Ball's shots of when he did the mods.

I'm just wondering if the FMF being 92/96db if the stocker isn't an outsourced FMF. Appearance is similar (which doesn't mean much), though it doesn't seem to be as long.

I guess FMF could make a free(er)-flowing pipe quieter by making it longer.

I have an '01WRF and have done some MX. I weigh 160 to 165 with out gear and use the stock springs. I add 15cc or approximately 15mm more oil to the forks to help with the last couple of inches of travel. I would love to be able to afford to get a revalve!

I race enduros with the YZ tank and have no problems. I use a stock YZ pipe and YZ timing. I am also in Central Ohio.

thanks for the replies.

As for your sdg seat, was that the tall one or the reg one? Just wondering, i know the tall one is the same material, just more of it, but just wondering.

As for a yz seat base for the guts seat, how would i go about obtaining just the seat base without the foam and cover. where could i buy that at besides used. (I sometimes find it dificult to buy used stuff off of other people with out seeing it in person) I looked at ims's site and could not find it there. im not sure were else to look.

As for the suspension, i looked at the faq right before i posted this, and it just fugures i looked right over the suspension stough.

Thanks again for the replies

As for your sdg seat, was that the tall one or the reg one? Just wondering, i know the tall one is the same material, just more of it, but just wondering.

my seat was the regular one. i talked with SDG and they said that the tall seat uses the same density foam as the regular seat; ergo, it is just as hard.

As for a yz seat base for the guts seat, how would i go about obtaining just the seat base without the foam and cover. where could i buy that at besides used.

buy a used OEM YZF or SDG seat. there is very little to break or wear on the base, as long as all of the brackets are there you are set. and, you don't care what the condition the cover is in.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f