Sign in to follow this  

Custom Snow Tires

I was searching through the threads on snow tires and the majority I've found are dealing with studding tires or using a ski on the front. While the snow here doesn't get that deep usually to need a ski, it does help to have some metal poking out of the tires to get you along. Below are links to my current creation of snow tires. I've been making different types of designs for the past 5 years. The front one could use some work as it's a little difficult to ride on pavement. The rear hooks like a mother, though. Last years design had paddles every other set of knobs but these Dunlops wouldn't allow me to do that w/the reused paddles. Anyway, here's my tires:

Front - http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/t/btb139/misc_images/snowtirefrt.jpg

Rear - http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/t/btb139/misc_images/snowtirerr.jpg

If you've made your own too, please post up pics in here. I'd like to see different designs/ideas.

O my lord you should be able to go in more than snow 😢

good job.. make sure to give us a ride report when the snow comes.

o yea that should be fun getting those on the rim.. huh. 😢

Well, I've ridden with a similar design in the past and in ~ 6" of snow I could still pull wheelies in 4th. 😢 Last years tire was more of a mud/paddle design, but it was a no-name brand tire in 100/90 size. Quite hard to get on the rim of my 450. This rear tire I used was a 110/90 and with 1/2 as many pieces of angled steel I'm thinking it will mount easier. Either way, extra padding on the knees during changing is a must. 😢

How do they handle on the pavement. Probably like crap. Do you think those will get chewed up easily/worn easily on pavement?

yeah i'm sure it will chew it up, not to mention the front tire will be going crazy, and god forbid it you turn and it stops balancing on the metal, and your tire slips out

😢 Seems like a good idea. I was going to make a set myself with my old pirelli's but where I ride, I need to go about a quarter mile down the road to the trails. Once im there though I can get just about anywhere. Endless trails around my area. 😢😢😢

I don't run these on the street so I can't give too much feedback. On the driveway though, the bike does hande like crap. Eventually I will redo the front tire to have more bolts across the entire tread. Smaller diameter too. If not that, then ice screws in all of the knobs along with the PC Racing ski.

The rear tire does give quite a vibration on hard surfaces, but the traction makes up for it. Higher speeds you won't notice it as much.

I was searching through the threads on snow tires and the majority I've found are dealing with studding tires or using a ski on the front. While the snow here doesn't get that deep usually to need a ski, it does help to have some metal poking out of the tires to get you along. Below are links to my current creation of snow tires. I've been making different types of designs for the past 5 years. The front one could use some work as it's a little difficult to ride on pavement. The rear hooks like a mother, though. Last years design had paddles every other set of knobs but these Dunlops wouldn't allow me to do that w/the reused paddles. Anyway, here's my tires:

Front - http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/t/btb139/misc_images/snowtirefrt.jpg

Rear - http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/t/btb139/misc_images/snowtirerr.jpg

If you've made your own too, please post up pics in here. I'd like to see different designs/ideas.

You my friend are insane. I wouldn't run sonething like that.

1. what will that do o your bodywork if you manage to bottom the suspension. Its gonna tear the hell out of the fenders.

2. That has got to weigh a ton. My ice tire weighs 20 lbs with 1" screws and liner. That rear creation has to be all of that and more.

3. Id hate to have that monster spinning on any body part of mine in the event of a get of.

But kudo's for your creation 😢

Me, I am looking into a Bruno Wessel tire stud gun and carbide tiped Rally studs. then I will have a Trellyberg style tire.

You made me curious, so I just went to weigh them. The digital scale here isn't post-office worthy, but it gives a decent idea. First I weighed myself, then myself with a regular tire, then myself w/the studded tires. Front studded tire is 12lbs. Studded rear tire is 20lbs. A normal rear tire that's the same model as the studded weighed in at 12lbs also. Looks to be approximately the same as your ice tire.

As for clearance issues, I don't plan on jumping anything big and the suspension on my bike has been revalved so I'm not worried about bottoming it out in the snow. If it did hit, I would imagine it'd slow the bike down substantially. 😢 The most important thing is that I put on an old junk mud flap and space the wheel far enough back (with a smaller sprocket usually) so that it clears up front.

As for safety...well.... the risk is half the fun.

A few years ago a local ski mountain used to close one of their trails to hold hill climbs on for bikes and snowmobiles. Unfortunatly they stopped running the bikes, but there were some other similar tires as mine there.

For anyone interested in the materials used, heres a list. I'm not saying it has to be copied verbatum, but it's just to give an idea.

Carriage bolts, 5/16 - 18 x 1 1/2" in length (quantity unknown off the top of my head)

Self locking nylon nuts

1/4" hole washers (these actually were large enough to fit over the bolts w/little play. These were nice b/c the outter diameter was similar in size to the knobbie)

3/4" or 1" angle steel (can't remember exact size)

Ice screws

Drill holes in the tires, push bolts through and hold the bolt heads w/vicegrips, tightened them with air ratchet, and continue till you're finished.

Figure I would bring this thread back up to the top since we're expecting a nice amount of snow in the NorthEast in the next day or so. Last year I was stuck going back and forth to college and never managed to get photos or vid of these tires in action and/or have a good free weekend to mount these. This year I can say I'm "free", although not from the working world, but I plan to fit these up tomorrow night for a little bit of riding on Saturday.

f11c04eb.jpg

f11c04c1.jpg

f119d237.jpg

f119d1a2.jpg

f11c0441.jpg

The two riding shots were from today, the rest from yesterday. I did get some video yesterday, but it was pretty blah since I set the camera up and walked away from it to ride. Today I had someone else taking the pictures for me but of course the batteries died only after 2 shots.

These tires are very hard to slide out unless you specifically want to. I love it!

(If the imagestation pics don't work, I'll try and find another host for them in a day or two)

Was wondering if you have ever had any problems with flats from all that metal next to the tube?

anyboby need a tooth removed? or even some concrete from there yard??

holy shit! i'll buy a pair!

Ok Ill pipe in here as well. I am a winter rider as well. Not that I particulary like winter riding but I do with what I have so I ride in it. This year I decided to get a little more serious about tires. I used to just insert ice screws into the knows and call it good.

This year I built a front tire inspired by Frostbite out resident snow rider.

Here is my new front tire

spiky.jpg

Its built using

(50) 1/4-20x1-1/4 connector bolts

(50) 1/4-20 nylock locking nuts

(50) 1/4" flat washers

Gold Screws (ice racing screws)

#8 finish washers

stud.jpg

I rode that front tire today for the 1st time in the trails and it was awsome. Hooks up very well. Part of the trouble around here is the snowmobiles will run down the bike trails making snow riding a bear. Because 1 sled wont pack the snow down much you cant ride on top of it like if a bunch of sleds have been down it. You cant ride up on top and you cant get thru it to the ground below so the front tire is all over the place. With that tire it sticks like glue. I love it. Now I just have to come up with something for the rear tire.

I was thinking of using 5/16-16 x 1-3/8 button head cap screws in the rear tire. they are Stainless steel and hardened. Sharpen the tips of them with a bench grinder and give it a go. I may have to run a liner with them though.

Here is frostbites tires. They are nuts. I may end up with something like this before I am done. I just dont want to spend the cash to buy the sled studs right now. But after seeing how good that front worked today I just might.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/frostbight/Sno%20Tires/frontstud.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/frostbight/Sno%20Tires/Rearspikes.jpg