Sign in to follow this  

drills and training

I am wanting to improve my speed and skills and wanted to know of some practicing methods, drills, etc that some of you guys do while at the track for improving corner speed and skills. Thanks in advance

Figure-eights are a good drill, but my favorite cornering drill is riding in tight circles like a flat tracker. I watched one of our National Pros doing this drill in the mucky slop on the starting grid before a recent race. Its a great way to learn the traction potential of a given track on a given day.

Riding in circles really helps you focus on carving your turns, throttle control, and a controlled 2-wheel drift. Since you are going in a circle, you are less likely to square-off (very bad) like you might in a figure-eight drill. Also, when you are focused on a continuous turn, it makes it easy to experiment with the oh-so-controversial techniques of "outside peg weighting" and "front brake dragging".

Find someone who knows how to flat track a bit. Get them to teach you how. Get them to teach you how to back it into corners with the rear wheel and the power on. Get them to teach you how to keep control of your bike in a fast slide out of a corner with no berm. I learned from a friend of mine who put two barrells about 50 yards or so apart and we went round and round left and right over and over. I broke so many levers and wounded so many bars. But, now I can go full boil through just about any corner berm or not, because I have a little bit of throttle control. I am no pro, but I can ride reasonably fast for quite a long time b/c my lines are smooth and I do not waste energy with wild throttle application.

Once you learn how to go around totally flat slippery corners at speed, heeled over in a flat track slide that Chris Carr would be proud of, there will no berm or corner that can withstand your fury.

Wonder why all the fast riders come from California? They ride on the hardest dirt imaginable and they learn how throttle control. Same with Florida where it is a ton of slippery sand.

Just go out and try it. Find a flat slippery piece of groung and throw out a tire. Start heading at it at a reasonable speed and try to corner around it. You can;t do it unless you are slow. Now start kicking the back tire out a bit with a bit of power (throttle control) and body position. Work with it slowly at first and then pick up speed. Before long you will be drifting it into the corner and accelerating out.

If nothing else it looks really cool to slide it into a hard packed corner with the power on, your feet on the pegs and go full boil out of the corner. Cool.

James

Find someone who knows how to flat track a bit. Get them to teach you how. Get them to teach you how to back it into corners with the rear wheel and the power on. Get them to teach you how to keep control of your bike in a fast slide out of a corner with no berm. I learned from a friend of mine who put two barrells about 50 yards or so apart and we went round and round left and right over and over. I broke so many levers and wounded so many bars. But, now I can go full boil through just about any corner berm or not, because I have a little bit of throttle control. I am no pro, but I can ride reasonably fast for quite a long time b/c my lines are smooth and I do not waste energy with wild throttle application.

Once you learn how to go around totally flat slippery corners at speed, heeled over in a flat track slide that Chris Carr would be proud of, there will no berm or corner that can withstand your fury.

Wonder why all the fast riders come from California? They ride on the hardest dirt imaginable and they learn how throttle control. Same with Florida where it is a ton of slippery sand.

Just go out and try it. Find a flat slippery piece of groung and throw out a tire. Start heading at it at a reasonable speed and try to corner around it. You can;t do it unless you are slow. Now start kicking the back tire out a bit with a bit of power (throttle control) and body position. Work with it slowly at first and then pick up speed. Before long you will be drifting it into the corner and accelerating out.

If nothing else it looks really cool to slide it into a hard packed corner with the power on, your feet on the pegs and go full boil out of the corner. Cool.

James

These are some of the techiques that are in the Gary S. "All about Cornering" tape.

Have you seen it?

Keep it down

What I do is I find like a really fast rider...someone that like at least can qualify for a national. Then I get in front or back of him and push my self as hard as I can. The reason I do this is because earlier in the day most likely they have passed you so they expect to go around u, don't let them. I learned about my limits this way and got alot faster. I crashed quite a few times too though but o well, u cant get faster without some crashes.

What I do is I find like a really fast rider...someone that like at least can qualify for a national. Then I get in front or back of him and push my self as hard as I can. The reason I do this is because earlier in the day most likely they have passed you so they expect to go around u, don't let them. I learned about my limits this way and got alot faster. I crashed quite a few times too though but o well, u cant get faster without some crashes.

That kind of goonery will surely get you a sock in the jaw 😢

Have not seen the tapes, but I know what Gary is talking about. The technique, done right, works really well. I learned by racing flat track, but if you don't want to try that out, Gary's vids are great.

James

Have not seen the tapes, but I know what Gary is talking about. The technique, done right, works really well. I learned by racing flat track, but if you don't want to try that out, Gary's vids are great.

James

Your flat track concept sounds like a good idea!

You an attorney or something?

Have you rode a 05 YZ450F to compare it to your 05 CR450F?

Keep it Down

Make sure your sag is set about 3.9 -4.0 inches. Here is how to start your lean early; as your going to sit down, your foot should be coming off the peg toward the turn. Watch the pros, alot of times they will have there foot off the peg in the air which will start the bikes lean before it hit the ground.

Make sure you pull yourself to the front of the tank when going to sit down.

One major trick is to squeeze the gas tank and weight the out side peg in the turn. You can do this with your thighs even when your leg is stuch out for the turn.

Try these tips and you corning will improve.

Old thread but good stuff!

I've recently discovered the joy of studding up my bike and riding

the ice this winter. The skills I'm developing from doing the circle

and figure 8 drills on the ice are unbelievable......unbelievably FUN too!

I can almost drift a complete circle.

The best drill to do is figure 8 for turns...they help so much...and if you can get a good riding friend to ride with you at the track and race each other all day...i wouldnt do it with a random dude because id get pissed if someone was doing that...if u want to then Id let him pass but try and keep up with him...but not block all the lines and slow him down...

just my .02

[44]:applause: