Sign in to follow this  

Valve Clearances.

I decided I'd check my valves for the first time on my own today. Very easy process to do. It definatley wasn't worth taking it to the dealer for them to do the last time. I measured my clearances and There all within spec. But Just barely. There currently

13mm 10mm 10mm - Intake

17mm 17mm - Exhaust

So my question is it better to run them a little on the loose side than to run them say mid. spec. Like for the exhaust side run them at 22mm, being that spec is .17-.22 if Im getting this correct.? And what size shim would that translate too or do i need to figure out whats in there first?

If they are in spec you are home free. You have to pull the cams to see the current shim thickness, so just check them a bit more frequently til out of spec.

So my question is it better to run them a little on the loose side than to run them say mid. spec. Like for the exhaust side run them at 22mm, being that spec is .17-.22 if Im getting this correct.? And what size shim would that translate too or do i need to figure out whats in there first?

As long as they are in spec and you are having no performance or starting problems, leave them alone. This question has been asked before and there is no concensus or real reasoning as to if "loose in spec" or "tight in spec" is better or worse.

You need to know whats in there before you can determine what shim size you may need. Also, factory shims are in 1 mm increments. Whereas "aftermarket" shims (the ones you can actually buy) are in 5 mm increments. So depending on what shims are in there you may have trouble getting them all to the loose side of spec.

I have a great Excel spreadsheet I picked up recently (I think it was on TT )for determining the correct valve shim. There is also a great spreadsheet for choosing the correct main jet for your carb and picking the correct sprocket/countersprocket combination for your bike.

You must have a Yahoo UserID and password to access.

Rick, feel free to modify and put these on Tumperfaq if you want. 😢

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/johnsaf7/lst?&.dir=/My+Documents&.src=bc&.view=l

Merry Christmas

P.S. This was my fiirst attempt to publish to the web - my fingers are crossed.