Sign in to follow this  

Clear Creek Workday

Two friends and I are going for a ride Saturday, with plans of finishing a fence Sunday. If you (Ed) are going to be at the entrance I may come down early to greet people as they enter CCMA. Also an acquaintance from the Santa Clara Chapter of CNPS is trying to get out of a prior commitment so he can come out and help on Sunday. So I hope to be dragging three new faces out to help.

Come on guys! If your available come and ride with the “plant guy” Saturday and help the BLM try to keep CCMA open Sunday! It should be a beautiful weekend.

DT

I will be busy that morning with a Doc Wong riding clinic/clear creek legl defense fund raiser that the Ramblers are hosting on our property. I plan to have the Club President, Billy T. lead the work party. He worked the first one and know where to go and what to do. I might make a guest appearance if time permits. Too much stuff happening at the same time.

Bump back up to the top.

I'll be there (for the third time). I just moved, 3/4ths of my life is still in boxes, my phone still isn't hooked up, I haven't ridden in weeks, and I have about 10,000 other things that need to be done and I will still be there. Come on guys, the last thing the OHV community needs right now is to put in two hards days of work (1st day ~20 riders and 0 greenies, 2nd day ~16 riders and 3 or 4 greenies) only to let the the greenies show up for the last day with a few photographers and take the credit for themselves.

In any case, all the hard work is done. Now we just need to hang the fence and pull some wire. If enough people show up we should be able to finish this thing off in one day. 😢

See you all there.

Sephw

I'm In 😢

I'd been looking at the Doc Wong clinic pretty hard for this weekend. I really NEED to learn how to ride, but in the interest of HAVING a place to ride - I'm stringing wire instead of learning how to wheelie (intentionally) over, around, and through stuff.

Hopefully I'll make it for the Quicksilver enduro and just ride it with my "trail rider" style. 😢 Guess that I'll have to move the cup holder over and mount that roll chart somwhere.

chuck

uh I saw some of ET's trails for the quicksilver last year. You'll be riding full on enduro style in the first 10 miles. That old familiar trail rider style will be long gone and by the time you reach mile 60 you won't remember your own name, what day it is or why in the hell you're doing this. 😢

bigbob - are you toying with thoughts about riding the QS this time around? If I can manage to throw down on a 650R, that DRZ should be out there too.

Having done some trail riding about 18 years ago, I knew nothing about riding singletrack with a motor until I was introduced to CC last fall. I'm hopefull that the QS will run many more years, but as the threats to Clear Creek's OHV access mount, I want to make a run at it at least once.

Haven't been riding with ET, but some friends have shown me places that I never knew a bike would go - and I'm still on the "easy" stuff. 😢

no no I'm 50 and a newbie. I have no endurance for real enduros... maybe a family 50 mile enduro one day. I watched a road crossing for the cause at last years QS enduro. ET has be-friended me many times and shown me lots of trails at Clear creek on several of my trips there. maybe we can hook up sometime for a ride down there. its a 4 hour drive one way for me so I get to CC maybe 4 times a year.

the place is very close to my heart. A true California beauty playground...... and like so many places i've seen closed or run over by population growth......it will be a shame to lose it.

good work on helping out. I did a big volunterr workday last month at Georgetown .. so my dues are paid for now...and these CC work days have just fell unluckily on bad weekends for me to come down........ keep up the good work.....Build that fence

There are a million reasons not to be there but only one reason to be there, keeping CCMA open. I will be bringing at least three more workers on Sunday. Two are already there camped at Alpine Camp. My son and I will be there by nine AM Saturday.

I will have my camera so all will be represented. DT

I am very sorry that I did not get any photos from the work day Sunday the 19th. By the time I had a chance to get my camera out and walk to the other side of the fence project Brian White had called it a day and sent the other crews packing. Apparently there will be another work day in January that will complete this project, I will try to photograph that day if it is at a time-date I can attend. I can’t thank my friends and all others enough for spending a day away from riding on the 19th.

For those who have not seen the plant this fence is attempting to protect, here is a link to some photos.

http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?where-genre=Plant&where-taxon=Camissonia+benitensis

I am also planning on spending a substantial amount of time collecting data and creating my own plant list, photographing, and locating species within CCMA in the spring of 2005. For those interested I will post findings sometime this summer.

Have a safe and happy Holiday Season. DT