Sign in to follow this  

Shock Tune Up...how Frequent?

I've 7 hours racing time on my 05 450F. As part of winter maintenance, I plan to have the forks serviced by a professional. Reading the owner's manual, it does not specifically address the frequency of shock (preventative) maintenance. I've heard for most mortals, the shock only needs to be serviced (preventative maintenance) once a year (although the forks require a bit more attention - changing fluids).

Any opinions on the need to service the shock?

What is involved and how frequent?

Thanks!

I do everything on my bike but the shock. That I have done once a year if I'm riding/racing regularly. I've done this for as long as I've been at it (20 years or so) without any problems.

I just don't feel like messing with recharging it and I've heard that it's really critical to get all of the air bled out. It's not like your forks where you can let any trapped air out later.

PS: If you're not getting the forks revalved, learn to do that yourself since you're right in saying that that needs to be done more regularly and it's not that difficult to do.

At the very least, it should be done every six months. The oil in the shock deteriorates quickly as it gets heated up and cooled. Remember, there isn't much oil in there so just like your motor oil in the CRF, it must be changed often.

You will notice a dramatic difference in consistency if you change it more often. Plus, it elminates a variable if you start having problems with the suspension or feel the need for adjustments. If your oil is clean and fresh then that is one thing that you do not have to think about.

James

At the very least, it should be done every six months. The oil in the shock deteriorates quickly as it gets heated up and cooled. Remember, there isn't much oil in there so just like your motor oil in the CRF, it must be changed often.

You will notice a dramatic difference in consistency if you change it more often. Plus, it elminates a variable if you start having problems with the suspension or feel the need for adjustments. If your oil is clean and fresh then that is one thing that you do not have to think about.

James

I agree with Lawdog but a lot of wear/tear and oil degradation is dependent on the rider. A slow trail rider's oil will degrade slower than a fast mx'ers oil due to the action of the shock.

Having an hourmeter on my ride, I went to 48 hrs on a suspension fluid change. That was WAY too long. On the rear i was at 5 Comp, 3 R, and 1.25 HSC. Normal settings for new oil were 13 C , 1.625 HSC, 10 R. I have since found that at about 25 hrs I need to start budgeting a change and don't let it get past 35 hrs. Thats my schedule as an mx'er.

Check out this article on Rick Johnson's Too Tech site

suspension fluid replacement frequency

He states that high quality fluid lasts for about 20 hours "at elevated temperatures" and a shock will spend 15 minutes above 200 degrees during a 20 minute moto.