Sign in to follow this  

How do I start this 05 crf 450 in 30 degree weather?

I never had this issue with my 02 crf 450 which i had for 3 years. This 05 does not want to fire in cold weather. If its around 50 its not bad but in the 30's its not possible for me. Ive tried fuel screw from 1.5 to 2.5 out and blip the throttle from one to five blips and nothing different on starting. Will a bigger pilot help?

What weight oil are you running I had 20 w 50 from the warm times went to 10w40 and it starts,I had to warm the cylinder with a heat gun to get it fired up and change the oil,it kicked thru like kayro syrup,for all of you old enough to remember the stuff.

Im running synthetic 10w40 year around. If we push like hell we can get it to fire, but to kick it no way. This bike kicks way harder than my 02 as well. I also did the hair dryer on the motor and it seems to help but by no means easy

it was 78 today and clear sky's...the bike started 2nd kick after i washed it and cleaned the air filter wearing shorts and a t shirt.

😢😢😢😢😢🤣

I also change to 10w40 for winter but it seems like the biggest help is blipping the throttle 3-5 times before kicking. I've never fouled a plug doing this and it's worked so far on my 02. I've only had one bad experience and I didn't twist the throttle first and it was like karo syrup. I ended up having to get someone to pull me behind their truck and it was still tough getting it to fire!

Its your idle circuit. My '05 was way lean from the factory. It would pop, was near impossible to start, wouldn't idle well at all, and would die in every corner. And that was when it was about 70°! I ended up with a #45 slow jet and Zip-Ty fuel screw. Now, it is about 30°-40° out, and with the fuel scew adjusted properly, I pull choke on, give it 5-6 twists, kick 3 times. Usually it starts right up, but if not, 2-3 more twists, and 3 more kicks. Its easy to start now. Make sure to always turn off the fuel valve and rev it a couple times before killing it and putting the bike up. This seemed to make it easier to start the next time, for me. Oh, and nothing to do with the starting, but I also installed the included #170 main jet, and it seems a bit stronger at full throttle.

You guys are nuts riding in 30 degree temps --- no friggin way unless I have a heat Suit and heated gloves ........... anything below 45 and my bike feels weird, runs like crap and suspension is harsh... 😢

get out the snowmobiles.............. 😢 or better yet go skiing! 😢

One thing i have found with all these new 4 strokes is kick them over real easy, i always tell people to kick it like a little girl. I dont even kick per se but just push through.

You guys are nuts riding in 30 degree temps --- no friggin way unless I have a heat Suit and heated gloves ........... anything below 45 and my bike feels weird, runs like crap and suspension is harsh... 😢

get out the snowmobiles.............. 😢 or better yet go skiing! 😢

Beh, snow+mx bike= awesome!!! 😢

The suggestion concerning the idle circuit is probably right on the money. But here's something else. Any four-stroke is going to want a much richer mix to start on cold than at any other time. The colder it gets, the more this is true. That, of course is what the choke does, but it's quite often not enough. Both my YZFs like a couple of good cranks on the throttle when cold starting to get a prime from the accelerator pump. Try giving it 1-3 twists of throttle, then try to start it with the throttle closed or just slightly off idle and see if that helps.

If you've ever had to cold start a car or truck that's old enough to have a carburetor on it, it's the same thing as you're doing by pumping the gas once or twice in the morning to get it going. 😢

30 degrees! Thats before winter when we ride in the desert. I just give my '03 2 or 3 twists and with the choke it starts first or second kick.