Sign in to follow this  

Anyone removed WR250F battery all together?

I know some might think I'm nuts (and I actually may be) but I'm thinking of removing the battery and just kick starting. My battery was basically dead all summer anyway and never had trouble starting but did use the e start sometimes. I would like to modify the airbox but don't want to go to all the trouble of moving the battery. Plus I'm a little "old skool" when it comes to bikes and think bikes should be kicked.

I guess my bike info isn't attached since the overhual.

2003 WR250F, all free mods except airbox, FMF PoerCore 4, ASV Levers, Factory 909 bars and JD Jetting kit.

pull off all the e-start stuff and sell it to me! I have an 03 yzf & want the e-start:)

I know some might think I'm nuts (and I actually may be) but I'm thinking of removing the battery and just kick starting.

xtred,

my friend mike pulled all of the electric start stuff off of his WR450F. battery gone. starter gone. he's happy kick starting and has a lighter bike as well.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

pull off all the e-start stuff and sell it to me! I have an 03 yzf & want the e-start:)

it will be far cheaper and far more reliable to get a WRF. by the time you are done you will have wished you hadn't tried to convert your YZF. the starter and battery are just the tip of the iceberg.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

To add to this question, is there a lighter battery or other alternative? I'd like to have the estart for emergency use only, so omething that held a small harge would be just fine.

is there a lighter battery

i believe the stock battery is a 4AH type. AH = battery capacity in amp-hours. a 4AH battery can produce 4A for 1 hour, or 8A for 30 minutes, 16A for 15 minutes, and so on. you should be able to use the next size down, which is a 2.4AH battery. you can't go nuts here since the very small batteries have limited surge current capacity, which is what you need to run the starter (high current for a very short time). but i don't see why a 2.4AH battery would not work though -- and a 2.4AH battery should weigh just over half as much as the 4AH battery.

ps: make sure you can kickstart the bike. 😢

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

You didn't mention if you had done the BK mod. I was just about to gut my airbox to get rid of the snap throttle bog. If you haven't done the BK mod, try it before you get rid of the battery. Before I did the mod, it would run great if I had the seat off. When the seat was reinstalled, the bog would reappear. I did the BK mod and the bog has dissappeared.

If you're getting rid of the battery to lighten up the bike, disregard all. If you doing it to get more air to the engine, try the bk mod 😢 .

Chow

03 WR250F all free mods, FMF pipe, YZ cam

Looking at Thumpertalk it seems the BK mod is very difficult on the '03. I'm fairly limited in my knowledge right now, I guess the most complex thing I've done is installing the JD jetting kit. Is this something I could do (with the great guidance of ThumperTalk, of course)? 😢

Looking at Thumpertalk it seems the BK mod is very difficult on the '03. I'm fairly limited in my knowledge right now, I guess the most complex thing I've done is installing the JD jetting kit. Is this something I could do (with the great guidance of ThumperTalk, of course)? 😢

The mod just involves drilling one hole in the accelerator pump cover and deciding how to secure the screw when you are finished. I used a 4mm screw with 2 nuts on either side of the cover on mine. I believe they used a sheet metal screw in theirs. You just have to find the way to keep the accelerator pump from opening the entire way. It took a total of about 1 hour of time to drill, secure the screw, and adjust it so it would engage the accelerator pump. One caveat is that the accelerator pump cover is not a replaceable cover. It comes with a complete carburator, so take your time when you drill the hole. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the cover was damaged, but it wouldn't keep the dirt out of the cables to the carb.

Chow

A better way to tune the accelerator pump squirt is to try a few different leak jets. The stock jet is not sized properly for most applications. I am currently running a 40 leak jet and experience no bog whatsoever. And I didn't have to drill any holes in my $800 carburetor.

Search this forum for "leak jet" and "bog" and also check out www.thumperfaq.com/ap.htm for more info. The BK mod is shown there too, but 03 and up bikes have the leak jet for tuning the AP squirt.

A better way to tune the accelerator pump squirt is to try a few different leak jets. The stock jet is not sized properly for most applications. I am currently running a 40 leak jet and experience no bog whatsoever. And I didn't have to drill any holes in my $800 carburetor.

Search this forum for "leak jet" and "bog" and also check out www.thumperfaq.com/ap.htm for more info. The BK mod is shown there too, but 03 and up bikes have the leak jet for tuning the AP squirt.

I have a 40 leak jet also and tried 2 different sizes also. The BK mod is not difficult on an 03 and up models. Better is relative.

Chow