Sign in to follow this  

Ttr 125le Comments Please

I currently have a DRZ400S which I do alot of dual sport trips on and love it. However when I'm out riding single tracks for the day I find I'm working too hard dealing with the weight and height in the technical sections. My friend recommended the 125. Some say it doesn't have enough power but I find I'm seldom going faster than 20 mph on the singletracks and I'm thinking that less weight is the way to go. I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs. What do you think?

I have a 125L and am 30 years old, 165 lbs and 5'10 ". It is one of the funnest and easiest bikes I've ridden, especially for the type of riding you are interested in doing. Sometimes you want more power but if you are able to keep the speed up it's not a problem. Find one with a good exhaust and filter and you'll be set. Even better, you can get a cam for it and/or go to 150cc.

The only negatives I have are that the seat really, really is terrible. I'm not excited about doing more than 30 mins on it. Invest in a pair of padded shorts.

I have an '04TTR125LE that really only need a big bore kit to complete. It's fun, quick through the single track, I ride almost as much as my '03XR250R, but If I had to choose one, I'd say XR250.

I have a 125L and am 30 years old, 165 lbs and 5'10 ". It is one of the funnest and easiest bikes I've ridden, especially for the type of riding you are interested in doing. Sometimes you want more power but if you are able to keep the speed up it's not a problem. Find one with a good exhaust and filter and you'll be set. Even better, you can get a cam for it and/or go to 150cc.

The only negatives I have are that the seat really, really is terrible. I'm not excited about doing more than 30 mins on it. Invest in a pair of padded shorts.

Stand. I seldom sit down on mine. I regularly do 20-30 miles through very tight/steep single track. It's usually a 2-4 hour ride and I have no problems with monkeybutt. I'm 5'10"/180 and a little shy of 40.

I'll be 34 in march.....im 6'1 195lbs & i love the ttr.I havent had the fun of ridding mine in the trails very much but i do have plans on doing it alot more in spring.Ive ridden it for hrs on end on mx tracks & feilds playing & its easy to ride in all conditions.Do the YZ forks & youll love the bike ALOT more!!! Thats the best upgrade you can do other than jetting,airbox,pipe & alittle taller gear.

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like it may be just the right bike. One concern is that the frame and suspension is sturdy enough that I don't have to sink a lot of money into it.

I'm 145 lbs and 5'9". I have the TTR/BBR 160cc.... frame kit conversion. I'd say you'll need a tall seat foam for it (I actually used my stock DRZ foam initially). Also, the TTR suspension is unforgiving in rocks/roots, but the motor is more than capable. My ex-girlfriend won a women's class H/S on it almost stock!

yeah i love my 05 LE, and im 5'11" 186 and 27 years old... that thing has plenty of power and is perfect for anyone to ride, not just the kids

The TTR 125 is my new favorite bike! I've been riding xr50's and klx110's but the wheel size of the TTr is golden! Im happy just with a cam and pipe.

Stepping down from a DRZ400 to a TTR125?

I can't imagine you would be satisfied. I ride a 426, and hop on my wife's TTR125L occasionally. It's fun, for about 5 minutes. I couldn't imagine actually taking it for a ride. The suspension is NOT there compared to your DRZ, not even with aftermarket springs. The power is NOT there, even with hop ups. I'm sure if you dropped 6 or 8 K into it (to include the aluminum frame and real suspension) it would be more fun, but that would kinda defeat the purpose.

Sounds to me like you need to check out a KDX 200 or KTM 200EXC.

I thought it was a great beginner bike. I got alot of confidence riding mine, but outgrew it rather quickly. ANd I am only 5'6" 1/2 and 125lbs. I don't think you would be happy with it.

It's frame will need a BBR cradle to stand up to adult abuse without stretching. Coming from a 400 I'd look elsewhere. My daughter races ours so it's getting moded out and it makes a good pit bike for the adults.

I agree with the last post. You should consider a KLX300 or KDX200/KDX220, XR250 or something like it. I have a KLX300 and my son has a TTR125L. Sometimes I let him ride mine and I'll get on his. I can't ride for too long on his, because I get cramped on it and it has no suspension compared to my KLX.

The KLX is only around 230+ pounds compared to the TTR125L @ 175 pounds. The KLX is quite a bit lighter than your DRZ. And if you have the "DRZ400S" then the KLX is probably close to 50 pounds lighter. That makes a huge difference in trail riding.

I like the TTR125le. i have one. i have taken it on a motocross track with not much suspention trouble(i'm 6 feet 180lbs) so i bottomed out a few times until i gut the timimg of the jumps right. its a great bike unless u dont like the suspention(thats why i have a yz)

Like old bones and other has said, coming off a DRZ400 you will not be happy with a TTR125L. I would consider one of the bikes Dave Carl has mentioned, KDXs are light and can be had for cheap.

2001 Aprilia Mille R

2002 Ducati 998 Bayliss

2003 Suzuki GSXR1000

2001 Yamaha WR250

2001 Kawasaki KDX220

1974 Suzuki TM400

2001 Yamaha TTR125l, daughters bike

2004 Suzuki RM100, also daughters bike

2001 Yamaha Beartracker Quad