Sign in to follow this  

building your own wheel

Have any of you guys laced up your own wheel just wondering how tuff it is?the local shop said it would cost 50 bucks sounds kinda steep, Thanks

i know that mountainbike wheels are a pain in the a$$ to lace. it is easy up until the last few spokes when everything else is already put in. i am guessing that a dirtbike wheel is harder off the start because the spokes arent as flexible. it will probably take some work, but i think it can be done. just make sure theyre all tight (same ping when you hit them with a wrench or any other matallic object, should be pretty high for tight and low for loose), otherwise, your screwed when you go riding. another thing i have heard is spoke savers help when lacing a wheel. check them out at www.spokesavers.com i think and youll see what im talking about. other than that, GOOD LUCK!

-Caz

Fifty bucks is reasonble. Its not hard if you have some patience to do yourself though.

it's not for the short tempered.. it can be a pain in the behind. to do it right you need a trueing stand and a dial indacator to check side to side, then top to bottom. Give it a shot, you never know until you try, then you'll say that's the best $50.00 buck you ever spent.......

I've done it. It took me a while, but now I'm sure I could do it quickly. One of those things where the first time is when you figure out the drill, then you've got it. I trued mine up by mounting the wheels on the bike and holding a marker near the side of the rims while spinning them. If you hold the marker steady, moving it closer and closer, it'll only mark the problem areas. Adjust the spokes on the far side accordingly. Clean the marks off and repeat until it's true. Mine came out perfect.

There have to be websites with info on how it's best done. Maybe Excel, Talon, etc.

Bring a beer out there with you and don't expect it to be done in 10 minutes...

I've done it as well. It's definitely tedious at first... but for some reason it's a rewarding feeling once you get it done correctly.

$50 isn't out of line at all to lace from bare hub, spokes, and a rim

Bicycle wheels are actually harder to do, because the spokes are crossed inside over the outside to help them stay tight. MC wheels don't do that. A little error in tightening one spoke won't pull the rim as far out of place either. The web page looks like a good guide, follow it. I'm sure you'll agee, though, that it's worth $50 after you've done it. 😢